5870 Fix

ChucklesC6

Weaksauce
Hi All!

Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else is having the same troubles I did.

I was getting a LOT of BSOD with my 5870 drivers apparently to blame. Seemingly random bsod too. Whether it was 1+hour of BFBC2, or hanging out on the desktop at idle, with growing frequency.

I kept trying new drivers going through driver sweeper etc, fresh WIN7 installs, pulling my hair out.
Most of what I read on the interwebz didn't work at all, or worked for short periods of time.

At wits end, I just ran Memtest86+ for no reason really. Found I had a bad module, so I pulled them out and tested them one by one, (3x2gb sticks patriot DDR31600mhz). Stuck the two good sticks in, and have enjoyed zero bsodding since!

Also fixed my dual screen flicker by adjusting my idle clocks to 400/1200.

Hope this helps anyone going through the months of frustration that I did!

thanks for posting but im not sure i would call that a "5870 fix". general troubleshooting is all memtest86 is.

I know, but all the posts and other related info lead me to believe I got a bad/dying graphics card.
That or ATi had really shitty drivers. It would have saved a lot of aggravation if I had just figured my Patriot stick died on me. Really odd symptoms. Typically the system would only crash when the 5870 was being taxed, it seemed. I had some BSOD from desktop, but mostly when trying to play BC2, which is why I thought it was the 5870.

Also, WIN7 would give me the pop up notification that "display driver has stopped responding but has recovered".

All is good now with Corsair Dominators in place.

I was ready to trash this thing and go GTX570

Back