5870 1GB or 5870 2GB for 5040x1050?

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, I been contemplating getting a 5870 for a three 22" LCD Eyefinity set up. From my current research I know a regular 5870 will do the job more than adequately but now they have this new 2GB 5870. I understand its for a six monitor setup, which I have no intention of getting six monitors, but I've also heard the 2GB really helps at the higher resolutions.

So my question to those in the know is this, Would I gain anything (performance) by going with the 2GB card over the 1GB card when using it in a 3x22" Eyefinity set up (5040x1050)? And if so, how much? Lets exclude price vs performance argument and pretend price is not a factor or the fact the 2GB card is made for 6 monitors. I'm guessing the 2GB card can be used for a 3 lcd setup just fine?

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

2gb is not worth it. I rather get a 480gtx for that money. Or even better get 1gb 5870 for $399, or even even better not get anything untill the gtx485 or a 5875? :/

Well, as I understand the nVidia side of it is that you need two cards to do a three monitor set up and I can't do dual cards so that leaves nVidia out of the equation. Besides that the 480 is too loud and hot for my liking.

not really any performance gains with 3 monitors(correct me if im wrong anybody). But if price is not an issue and 6 monitors is plausible in the near future for you then go for it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Okay, I been contemplating getting a 5870 for a three 22" LCD Eyefinity set up. From my current research I know a regular 5870 will do the job more than adequately but now they have this new 2GB 5870. I understand its for a six monitor setup, which I have no intention of getting six monitors, but I've also heard the 2GB really helps at the higher resolutions.

So my question to those in the know is this, Would I gain anything (performance) by going with the 2GB card over the 1GB card when using it in a 3x22" Eyefinity set up (5040x1050)? And if so, how much? Lets exclude price vs performance argument and pretend price is not a factor or the fact the 2GB card is made for 6 monitors. I'm guessing the 2GB card can be used for a 3 lcd setup just fine?

Thanks in advance for any input. :)
You can bet Brent and Kyle will do a review comparing the 1GB to the 2GB in a 3x1 setup when the cards are available.
Meaning non-6 DP 2GB versions.

not really any performance gains with 3 monitors(correct me if im wrong anybody). But if price is not an issue and 6 monitors is plausible in the near future for you then go for it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

From the reviews I have been reading, this is correct. 2gb is only helping on 6 monitor setups, though there are minor boosts to minimum frames on 3 monitor setups, the averages are still pretty much the same as the 1gb 5870.

I think 2 years from now or next year 2gb video cards will be common place on the higher end product lineup's so I say go for whichever one is most affordable for you now.

for 3x1 setups the 2gb helps occasionally with insane amounts of AA but if you aren't using AA or just a normal amount then it doesn't really help.

What I really want to see is how the 2gb helps with crossfire.

You can bet Brent and Kyle will do a review comparing the 1GB to the 2GB in a 3x1 setup when the cards are available.
Meaning non-6 DP 2GB versions.

I hope they do. I'd like to see that. :)

for 3x1 setups the 2gb helps occasionally with insane amounts of AA but if you aren't using AA or just a normal amount then it doesn't really help.

What I really want to see is how the 2gb helps with crossfire.

At much higher EF resolutions, say, 3x30" resolutions, for some games (read: BC2) even 2xAA is too much for 1GB to handle.

I asked Chris@Tom's to do a non-CF comparison between 1GB and 2GB and here's what he gave me:
1GB 5870, 8xAA, 5760x1080, Far Cry 2: 23.22
2GB 5870, 8xAA, 5760x1080, Far Cry 2: 31.72

But then again, if you're investing in 3 x 30" screens, then the 2GB premium is likely not something you're even worrying about.

2GB helps if you want to crank up AA. Personally I like to use 8xAA if I have the option for it. The benchmarks with 0xAA are totally useless, as I don't think anybody would run games with no AA at all, the jaggies would be horrific.

Back