5850 throttling (157/300 -> 725/1000) during desktop use. Any negative effects?

the_transporter

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if there will be any negative effects to the card if it constantly (every 30 secs or every 3-5 mins for example) throttles from 157/300 -> 725/1000 especially when using the Aero interface in Windows 7. I'm assuming this should not be a concern? Just seems like a rather large jump and drop (and a frequent one too). Just wanted to make sure.

Hey Mr. Transporter, I notice you got the asus model. I got that one too. A bit off topic but, did some kind of warranty card come in your asus box? Didn't see one in my packaging and wondered where is the warranty info...Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hey Mr. Transporter, I notice you got the asus model. I got that one too. A bit off topic but, did some kind of warranty card come in your asus box? Didn't see one in my packaging and wondered where is the warranty info...Thanks

I didn't get a warranty card either. I got 2 discs, manual, dvi to vga adapter, 6 pin pci-e to 4 pin molex adapter, and crossfire bridge. The card has three years warranty. I believe you can register it on ASUS' website. I haven't done it yet, though.

Mine throttles back and forth as well, but the fan speed does not change so it will not have any premature failure, atleast not becuase of this.

Mine usually throttles from 157/300 to whatever the speeds I have set in MSI Afterburner, which happens to be 981/1200. happens constantly when surfing web. although sometimes i have seen it only throttle up to 500/1000.

Mine throttles back and forth as well, but the fan speed does not change so it will not have any premature failure, atleast not becuase of this.
Are you on auto fan? The fan revving up and down really depends on how folks have their fan profiles set. Guess it's different for everyone.

you could try using ATi Tray Tool to have the fan spins based on temperature instead of load percentage, or use the CCC to have fixed fan rotation. as long as you know the right value and doesn't mind the noise, it's a go...

Mine does the same thing. It does that so that it can use only 27watts on idle.

Throttling is normal... if you have dual monitors you will see the 400mhz/ whatever. My CF setup does the same thing. Wearing out anything is like saying your CPU is wearing out because of C1E or EIST. The fan doesnt throttle up instantly on these cards. It takes a little while for the heat to get going.

Changing RPM levels constantly really isn't an issue unless the change is from a dead stop.

Maybe the fan will be fine, but it is causing instability in my computer.

2lxb95g.jpg

Like windows crashing after watching a youtube video for a few mins. Or any 3d app or browser crashing. Etc.

I should rephrase, the fluctuation may not be the cause but it is occurring at the same time as my crashes.

I have a similar issue, I don't mind the downclocking but it downclocks to the wrong core/mem speeds for my dual monitors when I enable overdrive and change the clock speed to anything but the default levels for the 5870. This causes my secondary monitor to flicker every time it downclocks to 157/300.

No this is the card using its power efficiency settings. The card is meant to do this. I have two 5870s and they both do this. Its so decrease the power load for basic use.

No this is the card using its power efficiency settings. The card is meant to do this. I have two 5870s and they both do this. Its so decrease the power load for basic use.

Ok, but it's not meant to crash my system.

Back