5800X3D Upgrade Help

Light1984

Gawd
So I recently bought a 5800X3D to replace my 5800X. I have successfully booted into Windows 11 with 2000 MCLK/FCLK, -20 PBO2 CO, but I am getting some whea errors when running Aida64 cache and benchmark which has always been my go to to see those errors quickly. Any Idea on how to fix that? Just bump SOC voltage maybe? I read that the 5800x3d are voltage sensitive, so I am a little apprehensive about doing that. System specs in sig.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 205340.png

Ok, i increased SOC voltage to 1.1v in bios and disabled GDM mode and changed command rate to 2T and reduce errors. Any other thoughts?
Screenshot 2023-08-30 210826.png

Ok, i turned PBO off and reran, still getting whea-19s. I've tried dropping frequencies down to 1966/3933, 1933/3866, and 1900/3800. I whea-19 at the first two steps down and can't POST regardless of voltage settings at 1900/3800, guess I have a memory hole there, which sucks. I really don't want to drop below 1900/3800 since my 5800X was running that daily without issue. Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2023-08-30 224227.png

You can try 1.2 SOC voltage. Its safe for daily. but don't go higher than that.

Otherwise, your 5800x3D may not have quite as good a memory controller as your 5800x. But it doesn't matter much with 5800x3D. The cache hides memory differences more than regular Zen 3. I would just set it for 3600mhz with lowest timings you can get. And then see what you can get from curve optimizer.

OK thanks for the feedback. Any good timing guides you recommend? I assume this kit can get pretty tight if I drop it down to 3600mhz.

Since I have 4 sticks (4x16gb), I added 1.45v to the ram and 1.2v SOC. My ram won't run tight timings so I just used one of the presets in the bios for the ram @ 18-22-22-22-1T. I tried cas 16 with no joy.

I'd be tempted to do a full plugs-out, battery-out CMOS reset, then see if you are getting errors at factory defaults and slow memory speeds. Once you're sure of a baseline you can then start pushing the memory. Just because your 5800X was able to do 1900 Mhz doesn't mean your 5800X3D can. If it can't hold 1800 stable then I'd consider RMAing it.

Since I have 4 sticks (4x16gb), I added 1.45v to the ram and 1.2v SOC. My ram won't run tight timings so I just used one of the presets in the bios for the ram @ 18-22-22-22-1T. I tried cas 16 with no joy.
Did you try the SPD profile? Have you tested each of your memory sticks?

Did you try the SPD profile? Have you tested each of your memory sticks?
Funny each set runs XMP, but all 4 sticks do not. I tried playing around with the timings to get it to cas 16, but all 4 sticks together refuse. Each set will run 16, but all together will not. I decided not to toss any more money into this rig and just run what got. I ain't missing anything between 16 and 18. Rig runs balls out 5.1-4.9 with butterz. Extra funds are diverted to next whole new rig ;)

Funny each set runs XMP, but all 4 sticks do not. I tried playing around with the timings to get it to cas 16, but all 4 sticks together refuse. Each set will run 16, but all together will not. I decided not to toss any more money into this rig and just run what got. I ain't missing anything between 16 and 18. Rig runs balls out 5.1-4.9 with butterz. Extra funds are diverted to next whole new rig ;)
Yeah 4 sticks is harder on the memory controller. However, with 4 sticks, you do get at least 4 ranks of RAM, which improves memory performance by up to 10%. So, its a net win!

Well it seems that 1900IF is a hole and everything above that throws whea-19s, so I am going to stick with 3600CL14 with no whea-19s I guess. Timings are pretty tight, so i think I am happy for now. Need to see how low I can go on PBO now.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 171357.png

Should be able to do -30 all cores using PBO2 curve optimizer with the tweaks from overclock.net

https://www.overclock.net/threads/5800x3d-owners.1798046/
MyTLDR recommendations for optimum X3D performance:
  • AMD CBS > NBIO > SMU > CPPC Enabled
  • AMD CBS > NBIO > SMU > CPPC Preferred Cores Disabled
  • AMD CBS > CPU > Global C-State Control Enabled
  • Use "the tool" or PBO2 Tuner to set CO curve verified with Corecycler AVX2 test.
  • RAM bandwidth seems to be more beneficial than tight latency, obviously fast and tight is best.
  • Keep SOC, CLDO VDDP, CCD, IOD voltages as low as you can for stability to preserve power envelope.
  • PLL of 1.85-1.95 seem to work well for higher FCLK. 2.0+ can cause USB dropout. 1.75 Observed stable at 3800/1900.
Here's mine. I settled for 1866. FCLK 1900 is a black hole. Anything above that is WHEA central
1. aida score 60.5 ns.png
2. zen timings.png

Last edited:
Should be able to do -30 all cores using PBO2 curve optimizer with the tweaks from overclock.net

Here's mine. I settled for 1833. FCLK 1900 is a black hole. Anything above that is WHEA central
View attachment 596201View attachment 596202
I am working my way through tightening timings right now, here is where I am at. Congrats on 1T. I couldn't get it to post with 1T so far. Might try some tweaks at the end once I get timings dialed in.
ZenTimings_Screenshot_28231253.243679.png

I am working my way through tightening timings right now, here is where I am at. Congrats on 1T. I couldn't get it to post with 1T so far. Might try some tweaks at the end once I get timings dialed in.
View attachment 596241
Try enabling the default DOCP ram timings. I started from there and started tightening the primary timings until I found a stable spot. Then the secondary timings. Mine defaulted to GDM off and 1T so I left it at that.

There's a chart for setting the TRFC.
1693876335938.png

Last edited:
Try enabling the default DOCP ram timings. I started from there and started tightening the primary timings until I found a stable spot. Then the secondary timings. Mine defaulted to GDM off and 1T so I left it at that.
DOCP on my kit is 4000 and it boots fine and seems to run fine, but whea-19s all over. I am working my way through this guide now. Each step I keep seeing improvements, so I probably won't worry about 1T vs 2T.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 212347.png

Last edited:
My kit is 4400. I just tell the BIOS to boot at 3733 with the DOCP profile.

I have tried many of these tricks. For gaming none of these settings make squat worth of difference. X3D runs super cool and is such low power, all the undervolt stuff is not required. I also moved from CL 16 to 250$ CL 14 memory and nothing happened. Tried PBO hack to set -30 on all cores. Saw boost to 4450 all cores vs 4300 and nothing happened.

All it was good for was stats on AIDA benchmark and some CPUZ, Cinebench etc nonsense.

For gaming or general productivity I couldn’t tell one from the other. Worst time and money spent. Heck even FCLK/RAM at 3733 was no different than 3600.

Moral of story. Save your dime and time. AMD overclocking is the biggest waste of time I have done and X3D is far worse. Also those goddamn WHEA errors can suck it.

Why bother with that when you can buy 32GB DIMMS?

I have tried many of these tricks. For gaming none of these settings make squat worth of difference. X3D runs super cool and is such low power, all the undervolt stuff is not required. I also moved from CL 16 to 250$ CL 14 memory and nothing happened. Tried PBO hack to set -30 on all cores. Saw boost to 4450 all cores vs 4300 and nothing happened.

All it was good for was stats on AIDA benchmark and some CPUZ, Cinebench etc nonsense.

For gaming or general productivity I couldn’t tell one from the other. Worst time and money spent. Heck even FCLK/RAM at 3733 was no different than 3600.

Moral of story. Save your dime and time. AMD overclocking is the biggest waste of time I have done and X3D is far worse. Also those goddamn WHEA errors can suck it.

This has kind of been my experience so far, and 1500% agree, whea errors blow. My benchmark scores have gone up from fine tuning everything ,but I haven't noticed much in game, if anything maybe some more consistency in frames making things feel a bit smoother. PBO negative offset does seem to make my chip run a little cooler though, mid/low 70s gaming now where it was touching 80 before.

This has kind of been my experience so far, and 1500% agree, whea errors blow. My benchmark scores have gone up from fine tuning everything ,but I haven't noticed much in game, if anything maybe some more consistency in frames making things feel a bit smoother. PBO negative offset does seem to make my chip run a little cooler though, mid/low 70s gaming now where it was touching 80 before.
My chip already runs 70 C in gaming. 75 C when benching. Not sure what else I can do to "cool" it down :).

Pretty much this. The X3D has made overclocking the cpu and ram a moot point. Unless your mobo has an external clock generator, leave it stock and enjoy the games.

Sounds like you guys need to meet the Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE with those temperatures! heck my 7600x runs about 70c gaming on my old stock Wraith Spire RGB Cooler from 3700x.

Sounds like you guys need to meet the Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE with those temperatures! heck my 7600x runs about 70c gaming on my old stock Wraith Spire RGB Cooler from 3700x.
I'm on water and see anywhere from low 60's gaming and upwards of 75C on cinebench. These chips just run hot in general like my 5800X.

I'm on water and see anywhere from low 60's gaming and upwards of 75C on cinebench. These chips just run hot in general like my 5800X.
No they dont. I can run my X3D semi passive on my PS120SE and FC140 with just the 2 stock fans that came with my case. With no fans I hit 75 in R23, with fans 65..

Even programs like F@h, WCG, Linpack.. the full 143w PPT.

No they dont. I can run my X3D semi passive on my PS120SE and FC140 with just the 2 stock fans that came with my case. With no fans I hit 75 in R23, with fans 65..

Even programs like F@h, WCG, Linpack.. the full 143w PPT.
I can't get anywhere near that. I go from an idle of 30C to 75C at full tilt within a span of a few secs. My water temp never gets passed 30C.

I can't get anywhere near that. I go from an idle of 30C to 75C at full tilt within a span of a few secs. My water temp never gets passed 30C.
There was a guy at OCN, had a nice LC setup, but his temps were worse than mine.. here is after a Cinebench 2024 run..

Screenshot 2023-09-07 072829.png

I just noticed I am not runnning 2T like I thought I was lol.. should have been flat 15s.. dam noobs :)

Last edited:
Here is the Wraith Prism Cooler on the 7600x still doing 5.4Ghz, it's a new build kind of with AM5 board and 7600x (reused 3700x cooler) added 32Gb of GSKill Trident Z5 Neo DDR 5 / 6000Mhz Cl 30, added 3 NvMe drives and reused everything else. the cpu is running out of box and no Ryzen Master tuning has been done yet or bios power plan picked yet, no Gigabyte bloat ware installed as just lastest AMD chipset drivers.

View: https://youtu.be/lFBC6AK8Nks?si=RBwfvQN1mUpvF8sD

Last edited:
Back