5800X3D not boosting after drop in upgrade from 5600X

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
So I pulled the trigger on an upgrade for my AM4 platform. I have an Asus Tuf Gaming X570pro WIFI board (BIOS supports the new CPU) that was incubating a Ryzen 5600X with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz RAM.

Pulled off the cooler, removed 5600X and put in the 5800X3D, repasted and remounted cooler. Boot up it detects the new CPU then asks to reset the TPM key, restart and it boots Windows just fine. Temps are fine, about 65c under load. HOWEVER, it will not budge off of 3.4Ghz, absolutely refuses to boost under load. Drop back into the BIOS and reset to defaults as some forums posts suggested elsewhere... didn't help. Then I tried shorting the BIOS CLR jumper on the mobo after the soft bios reset didn't help, and that also did not fix the lack of boost.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
BIOS was 4021, upgrading to 5003 now. It may be that "supports" doesn't mean "supports well" so we'll see if this helps.

The BIOS upgrade should accomplish it also, but a CMOS clear would have likely fixed it (not all boards are the same, but I believe you need to have the PC powered on for some boards in order for the CMOS clear jumper to work).

The power options are set to high performance and the processor maximum to 100%. That was one of the things I checked, but it shouldn't have been that anyway as the 5600X was boosting no problem. The problem was fixed with a BIOS update to the very latest version. The prior version I had supported the CPU but didn't really have any options to USE it as designed apparently. It was a "you can boot but don't expect great things" release I guess :ROFLMAO:

I have a negative 30 offset and limited the power and thermals a bit and it's boosting great and running cool. Outstanding processor :D

Was about to say that get new bios. Seems problem is fixed already. Enjoy your new cpu.

Reactions: Ryom
like this
If you haven't done it in a while, it might also be worthwhile to update your AMD Chipset drivers for your motherboard, directly from AMD.

Reactions: Ryom
like this
If you haven't done it in a while, it might also be worthwhile to update your AMD Chipset drivers for your motherboard, directly from AMD.
Already done 🙂

Seeing a massive practical improvement over the 5600X in Grounded with my 3080ti. Shadow of the Tomb Raider has massive CPU improvements benched as well, but it's GPU limited at 4k Ultra RTX so no practical difference in reality. Same for Cyberpunk.

I should be good for another GPU generation or two before needing a platform upgrade with this processor.

Last edited:
The power options are set to high performance and the processor maximum to 100%. That was one of the things I checked, but it shouldn't have been that anyway as the 5600X was boosting no problem. The problem was fixed with a BIOS update to the very latest version. The prior version I had supported the CPU but didn't really have any options to USE it as designed apparently. It was a "you can boot but don't expect great things" release I guess :ROFLMAO:

I have a negative 30 offset and limited the power and thermals a bit and it's boosting great and running cool. Outstanding processor :D
When doing a drop-in upgrade of a non-3d cache CPU to a 3d cache CPU you have to clear the BIOS. When you updated the BIOS it required a reset which fixed the issue.

Already done 🙂

Seeing a massive practical improvement over the 5600X in Grounded with my 3080ti. Shadow of the Tomb Raider has massive CPU improvements benched as well, but it's GPU limited at 4k Ultra RTX so no practical difference in reality. Same for Cyberpunk.

I should be good for another GPU generation or two before needing a platform upgrade with this processor.
FWIW I picked up 5fps running DQHD (~4k) switching from a 5800x to a 5800x3d in Cyberpunk, both using a 3080Ti. Granted, neither CPU was overclocked.

Back