5700G vs i7-11700. Intel needs about double the wattage to achieve similar results. transistor shrinkage can't come soon enough.

Kdawg

[H]ard|Gawd
11700 reviews seem rare.

Didn't test much, but i have 2 prebuilt towers with a 5700g and 11700, otherwise identical.

At idle, they use about the same amount of power.
I don't have a killawatt, but my clamp meter read about the same 0.26-0.28 amps at idle.

but under load running cinebench23, intel runs hot and achieves 12881 with 115 watt power limit and all cores pegged at 4ghz.

the 5700G achieves ~13300 points, and stock all-core turbo is pegged at 4ghz.

so, both systems are similar more or less. OEMs use shitty hardware that cripples cpu performance.

under the same CB23 workload, my meter reads 0.9amp for 5700g, 1.8amp for 11700 (115w PL)

Double the power for similar performance.

Under stock turbo with 65w PL respected, intel runs at 3.3ghz with 1.02amp draw. So almost similar power to AMD, but with a ~20% performance deficit.

The intel system was $50 more expensive. For the htpc and non-power user, the Intel is just fine, and a bit more future proof. Or if you just don't give a shit about power usage.

Intel has better video decoding support, with 8k60 AV1 support, 8k60 VP9 support, if these formats ever become mainstream.

Vega 8 does not have Av1 support, and can't do 8k60 vp9 (it tries, but pegs at 100% gpu 3D and decode usage for some reason, compared to intel just 42/77%)

hprvp960.png
intelvp9.png

Maybe alder lake can cut it down to using 50% more power instead of 100% more power under load.

it's a tough choice. Both cpus have big flaws.

dont you already have a thread for this and arent you basing this on oem systems, giving you an inaccurate representation of these chips?

Wattage matters, but not as much as the resulting package temperatures and thermal headroom. My experience with 22nm vs 14nm vs 7nm is that power consumption keeps going down, but temperatures keep going up.

Why only 4.0Ghz?

Is that an artificial limit you imposed to compare the two systems?

I personally don't care that much about power draw (except that it heats the room)

How similar are the RAM configs on these two systems?

Why only 4.0Ghz?

Is that an artificial limit you imposed to compare the two systems?

I personally don't care that much about power draw (except that it heats the room)

How similar are the RAM configs on these two systems?

The 5700g caps out around 4ghz all core turbo, even though there was plenty of thermal headroom.

The 5700g caps out around 4ghz all core turbo, even though there was plenty of thermal headroom.
its a board limit...
]like i keep saying, you arent getting a valid comparison based on these sffs.

its a board limit...
]like i keep saying, you arent getting a valid comparison based on these sffs.

It is valid, but it's sort of a "real world OEM" example of two similarly configured setups that a non-tech person would pick up off the shelf. I don't know if anyone at this point doubted that AMD was going to run faster and more efficient based on the RKL reviews. I would think that the AMD IGP would be somewhat faster for gaming, but obviously not for encoding/decoding as the OP pointed out.

I would think most OEM pre-builts would mirror his results. The value to me is when someone wants to buy a computer and they present me with something like the HP build. I can tell them that the AMD version will run faster for less money.

Personally, I hope AMD figures out their APU strategy a little more going forward as it would be nicer to have decoding options similar to what you'd find on Intel with the IGP.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yeah, it did not help that the FX series of processors were stuck on 32nm either, they could have improved things otherwise.

Back