50pk FugiFilm (Taiyo Yuden) DVD-+R $17.99 at K-Mart

Sanitarium

[H]ard|Gawd
K-Mart has 50pks of FugiFilm (Taiyo Yuden) DVD-+R for $17.99. B&M stores only I assume. It was in the sales flyer this week so I went to check it out and bought 2. Pretty good deal considering they're actually Taiyo Yuden discs.

So you checked the media code? Just to confirm, because Fuji started using other manufacturers awhile ago. I haven't seen a TY Fuji on the shelf in awhile. If they've gone back to TY, I may have to pick some up.

If they're made in Japan they are probably TY's. If not then they're a different brand. I'd get some but I've still got a couple hundred TY Fugi's from the last Staples sale :).

AssMan said:
If they're made in Japan they are probably TY's. If not then they're a different brand. I'd get some but I've still got a couple hundred TY Fugi's from the last Staples sale :).
They might be TY, but there are others made in Japan. MCC (Matsushita Chemical Corp) for example. I have two spindles of Maxell DVD-R's, both purchased together from the same store. Both are made in Japan, but one is MCC and the other TY. MCC is a good brand too, but I'd rather have TY of course. The problem is you have no way of knowing for sure till you get it home. Made in Japan is a pretty reliable indicator of quality, but not necessarily a reliable indicator of TY.

But regardless, Fuji makes good stuff and if it's made in Japan then it's typically good media regardless of whether it's TY or MCC. But I'm like you -- I have about 150 DVD blanks now, all TY or Pioneer-certified ProDisc, so I probably won't be picking any up for awhile.

Malatov said:
They might be TY, but there are others made in Japan. MCC (Matsushita Chemical Corp) for example. I have two spindles of Maxell DVD-R's, both purchased together from the same store. Both are made in Japan, but one is MCC and the other TY. MCC is a good brand too, but I'd rather have TY of course. The problem is you have no way of knowing for sure till you get it home. Made in Japan is a pretty reliable indicator of quality, but not necessarily a reliable indicator of TY.

But regardless, Fuji makes good stuff and if it's made in Japan then it's typically good media regardless of whether it's TY or MCC. But I'm like you -- I have about 150 DVD blanks now, all TY or Pioneer-certified ProDisc, so I probably won't be picking any up for awhile.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never seen a Made In Japan Fuji CD or DVD that wasn't a TY disk. But I wouldn't complain if I ended up with Matsushita either.

nilepez said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never seen a Made In Japan Fuji CD or DVD that wasn't a TY disk. But I wouldn't complain if I ended up with Matsushita either.
I don't think I've seen a MIJ Fuji that wasn't TY either, I was just pointing out that MIJ does not always equal TY, as I was surprised to find with the Maxell media I bought.

BTW I was in BestBuy today and looked through their media. Every piece of Fuji media they had, whether +R or -R, spindle or jewel cased, was made in Taiwan. :( MIJ Fuji is getting harder and harder to find, so if you can find these on sale and need good media you should jump on it. However MIJ Maxell media is still fairly plentiful. My local Wal-Mart has 25-disk spindles of inkjet hub-printable in both +R and -R and both are MIJ. Everyday price is $15 I think. Not bad for printable MIJ media.

Back