5.1 sound not working

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Well, I've done some google-ing and I've had no luck finding a fix for this.

I've got a freshly formatted machine with SB Audigy SE and a Logitech 5.1 setup (it only uses analog). The Creative speaker setup program works and utilizes all the channels with the audio test... but nothing else is using all the extra speakers. It's set to 5.1 in the control panel too. I'm not sure what's going on here. Any ideas?

If you're listening to music, you'll still only get 2 channel output. You have to either have a player or your sound card set up to upmix the stereo signal to multichannel.

That doesn't make complete sense to me. It used to work with no issues. Hmm. Anyone aware of a program that will send the 2 channel situation to all 5 speakers?

slowbiz, you probably (pre-system redo) had had your media player(s) set up to output multichannel sound as opposed to good old fashioned 2.1. I'm not sure how you'd get, say, Windows Media Player to do this...but things like foobar2000 and Winamp definitely need/use plugins for it. If you have something installed like the CCCP codec/media player pack, its version of ffdshow comes with a plugin that does the same thing. And so on...

Back