4x GTX 480 SLI (+OC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. So could you enlighten me as to how you plan to run SLI PhysX? It's not possible in my knowledge or experience.

This is just an obvious e-peen thread, nothing more. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's cool, but when you can spend $3500 on video cards only to have a couple laying around to use as a PhysX card, you need a more productive hobby.

Dude, i cant wait for you to post benchmarks and update us on how they perform.

Congrats! Great buy. Now show us some benchmark POWA!

Metro2033
Crysis
GTA...

i dunno. what do you have? llol

God all you kids need to go outside, goto a bar or something and leave the guy alone. his money who the frack cares what he does with it. Personally i'm interested in the sheer insanity of anything this machine does.

He's got money to burn, he chose to do it this way, and that is his choice, you don't like it, DON' T FRACKING POST.

This is just an obvious e-peen thread, nothing more. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's cool, but when you can spend $3500 on video cards only to have a couple laying around to use as a PhysX card, you need a more productive hobby.

I'm all about a big ePenis. The rig I build next month will be almost as as expensive, maybe more if I get a 1 TB SSD. I'll be taking the two 480s and 980x in my sig rig and adding a third 480 on an Asus Rampage III Extreme with 12 GB of RAM and going to 3 1920 x 1200 monitors.

I just smell a little BS became first he shows us four 480s and then 10 minutes latter shows us two Black Edition 5970s and says he's going to put two 480s in a rig for PhysX and that dosen't WORK and he didn't say how he was going to pull that off.

For a SINGLE 30" monitor?

And no mention of the circuit power, the #1 consideration in building something like this. I have TWO dedicated 12 amp circuits in my office and even I would need a third to run this rig.

Last edited:
1 question: will you be my sugar daddy?

Im excited to see how this bad boy runs. Subbed.

Lots of jealousy will ensue.

Better question: is your job hiring?

Also curious about how this will go.

if he is this could be a knee jerk project from some deployment pay? who knows, its an expensive project, but fun none the less, most people usually blow it on a shitty speaker system for their car or TV(crappy one at that), or over pay for a newer car, so I can't really judge.

Unless he's been deployed awhile, saving it up, tax-free, with hazard bonuses, and has been constantly dreaming of what build he's going to throw some of his money at.

I've been there, its understandable. I hope it works for him. Pulling that much wattage in the states using a 110-120V socket can cause problems, so hopefully he's worked it out.

I have a much less power-hungry rig, and still upgraded to a 20 Amp socket, 1980 watt PSU, and dedicated 20 Amp breaker just to eliminate the possibility of power problems.

When he can turn it on and run Furmark without tripping a circuit breaker I'll buy him a game of his choosing!

Unless he's been deployed awhile, saving it up, tax-free, with hazard bonuses, and has been constantly dreaming of what build he's going to throw some of his money at.

I've been there, its understandable. I hope it works for him. Pulling that much wattage in the states using a 110-120V socket can cause problems, so hopefully he's worked it out.

I have a much less power-hungry rig, and still upgraded to a 20 Amp socket, 1980 watt PSU, and dedicated 20 Amp breaker just to eliminate the possibility of power problems.

Thank You!!! I've been trying to tell people that you don't plug this thing into a standard US house outlet with ANYTHING else on the circuit when it hits peek power. Like you I upgraded my power but I simply went with another 12 amp circuit. That'll handle 1440 watts no problem.

if hes over seas you won't find one, especially if i'm right and hes in the dorm, those rooms are built to share circuits with other rooms, and causes problems when people attempt to over load the circuits and half the dorm goes black. This will definitly trip the circuit.

then it'll be a learning experience whe he fries his mobo/GPUs/980x/whatever. if he lives on a military base then maybe he's planning on plugging it into a socket in their hi-tech computer room or something. you dont know. he says hes got this, and ignored many a warning. just let it pan out and hopefully it works and we can see some interesting results soon. im excited to see what happens.

Well, this is what [H] is all about. Looking forward to seeing some results.

Well, this is what [H] is all about. Looking forward to seeing some results.

It's also about DETAILS. Usually these kinds of threads are full of them and people explain things like "How are you going to power the thing?" and I mean from the socket not the PSU and SLI PhysX.

Not trying to slam I just WANT TO KNOW!:)

Holy mother of moses' accountant batman...

On another note, I am very jealous, nice setup. Can't wait to see a futuremark score.

On a second note...*looks at his rig and cries.*

Some cases allow dual power supplies. Maybe this would be a good time to get one of those cases :). Maybe it'll all work out. He should get a multimeter though to see how much wattage its pulling. It might trigger the breaker. Thats a lot of power. If he had one of those Lucid Hydra motherboards and put water blocks on all the cards he might be able to fit/use them all completely at once :).

This guy has single handedly halfed the number of available 480s on shelves.

Seriously though that is insane, need to get us some temp readings of the cards in quad SLI using the stock coolers. Very jealous at the amount of money you have to throw at your rig :)

"That's not a rig...THIS is a rig!" /croc dundee

Too awesome for words, would love to see crysis, metro, heaven demo, etc. benchmarks.

I would not power up that kind of thing in my house. It will probably burn down my house.

But any who, I want to see some record breaking results from something like that, and also

SLI PhysX = Does not exist officially, but may be unless your using some kind of hacked in drivers.

i sense a 4th GTX 480 being posted up for sale in the forums soon..

1. nvidia does not support quad SLI with 4 separate cards.. it only supports quad SLI with dual gpu cards..
2. physX does not work in SLI.. you would have to install them as seperate cards and even then it will only use the primary nvidia card as the physX card..
3. i hope you plan to use tripe 30" displays otherwise you wont see a performance gain nor would any of these cards break sweat running any games..

also you better invest in a 20a breaker just for the plug the computers being plugged into because a standard 15a breaker with 2-3 plugs on it can not handle that system.. but good luck on the build.. also invest in a high end surge protector because a lot of them max out at 1500-1800 watts..

4 GTX480s, but bose speakers? :confused: if you're gonna blow all your money at least do it right

haha this is awesome man. kudos to you. i have a 5 year old house with modern wiring and the light in my office dims when my single 480 starts to go to work. i cant even imagine what 4 of these beasts would do. my ultimate goal is 480sli and 3 alienware 24" 3d monitors for 3d surround for flight simming and racing games. probably by next spring when the tech matures a bit more.

God all you kids need to go outside, goto a bar or something and leave the guy alone. his money who the frack cares what he does with it. Personally i'm interested in the sheer insanity of anything this machine does.

He's got money to burn, he chose to do it this way, and that is his choice, you don't like it, DON' T FRACKING POST.

This---^

Ive got the money too but i am a cheap bastard and prefer to spend it on other stuff but if this guy wants to do it and entertain me by posting the pics and his benches then i am grateful to him and cant wait to see what this rig to end all rigs can do. how about some crysis benchmark tool on very high with 8xaa 16af at 2560x1600 :p I ran crysis at 3840x1024 on very high lastnight and 2xaa on my th2g and got very playable fps. I'd say maybe 25fps average or so. About double what the 285 gave me. I easily get well over 30 now at 1920x1200 very high 4xaa on my 28" lcd though which to me is like glass and is stunning. Loving this 480 man.

whats a "frack"?

"That's not a rig...THIS is a rig!" /croc dundee

This cracked me up.

I wanna see some pic of the inside of the case with these installed. I would probably set up a vent on the exhaust ports to go out the wall or something, I think 4 of those could overpower my A/C lol.

haha this is awesome man. kudos to you. i have a 5 year old house with modern wiring and the light in my office dims when my single 480 starts to go to work. i cant even imagine what 4 of these beasts would do. my ultimate goal is 480sli and 3 alienware 24" 3d monitors for 3d surround for flight simming and racing games. probably by next spring when the tech matures a bit more.

lol if your lights dim just from the 480.. have fun rewiring the room just to run the rest of that stuff.. :p

Ya know, he hasn't come back yet...I figured by now there would at least be something from him. Maybe even a mobile update...Perhaps he turned it on and it just created a blackhole. Anyone know where he lives? Maybe there is a time capsule from the future..."System runs great guys! See ya in 30 years!...Crysis 2 is a beast! Peace!....PS...Duke Nukem forever still isn't out...eta 5/1/41"

Since I have the cards at hand, why the hell not?

Because the drivers don't support it. Dedicated PhysX appears to work for only 1 gpu at the moment.

You can go 5970x2 and a GTX 480 for physX, but will that outperform 4x GTX 480?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back