4TB PCIe SSD's to release in June for $149?

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
"Slides from the Chinese startup Huaji have been leaked to us that promise a 4TB PCIe SSD for $149. To achieve the low cost SSDs the company has purchased old equipment used to produce NAND at 2x nm. The company was founded in 2011 by several NAND veterans and graduates from the Beijing Tech University. The drive was for a short time available on Amazon but quickly pulled after we ordered it."

Lots more to read in that article.

The validity of this is suspect since these SSD's are apparently being developed by some unknown Chinese company but if these really are released, it would force Intel, Samsung and the other SSD makers to lower their prices which would lead to SSD's surpassing mechanical drives in terms of price and capacity a lot sooner which would lead to affordable 10TB+ SSD's sooner.

I don't trust anything made by a Chinese company so I won't be buying them but if they are real and do come out at that price and end up not being complete shit, then they may hopefully force SSD price drops, it just depends on a lot of "ifs" though.

Most likely the controller will have a nice backdoor for the state to access the data too!

To me it is absolutely ridiculous. How / why would they sell NAND (which is a commodity) at somewhere between 1/10th and 1/20th of the current market price?

Back