4P E4 Build Advice

Chris_Lonardo

[H]ard|OCP Storage Engineer & Editor
Edit- title should read "4P E5" :(

Hey All,

I'm looking to build a 4P box for myself (primarily as a workstation, but will be folding during off-hours). My workload unfortunately can't be scaled out, and I am routinely CPU-bound on my current dual E5 setup :rolleyes:

Of the spicy E5 4xxx's, which steppings/Q-codes should I be looking out for? Have the 4xxx v2's started to become available? Additionally, any recommendations on motherboards or barebones systems?

Thanks in advance.

E5-4650 C0 and C1 steppings are common and will work fine. I have heard rumors of v2 4p-compatible chips, but they are still well over $1000/each - too rich for my blood.

Motherboards - Any SM X9 should be fine. Many of us have the X9QRi-F+, which will be the cheapest out there and has proven to be a pretty nice board.

Cases - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1783875

Thanks for the tip- I recall seeing a file some time ago that had a list of Q-codes to steppings. I looked, but can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have a link?

Also, does anyone have any guidance on BIOS versions for the Supermicro boards? I have a 2P Supermicro board that I had to try several BIOS versions with before having any success. Thanks

That's the file, thanks again!

Yes, my compatibility issue was on an X9DAI with QA8X- no BIOS version newer than 802 works, apparently

I'm running BIOS 1.0d, which is the latest one for the X9QRi-F+, and it recognizes my C0 chips. I assume it recognizes C1s and C2s as well.

On a related note, while I've seen the handful of 4650 v2 listings on ebay, I've been assuming that I couldn't run them right now since SM hasn't released an Ivy-compatible BIOS for their 4P boards (1.0d was released a while ago). Am I wrong on this?

On a related note, while I've seen the handful of 4650 v2 listings on ebay, I've been assuming that I couldn't run them right now since SM hasn't released an Ivy-compatible BIOS for their 4P boards (1.0d was released a while ago). Am I wrong on this?

I believe the vendor selling those 2695 v2 chips with 4-socket capabilities can also provide a BIOS. They are selling B1, B2 and B3 (ES v2) variants. The B1 appears to max out at 2.8GHz whereas the B2 and B3 stepping max out at 2.9GHz. I believe all 3 steppings max out at 2.7GHz for all-core turbo, but I'm not certain.

They sure are tempting, but I don't think paying 2.5X a E5-4650 makes sense.

I don't think it makes sense either.

I'm actually sort of waiting to see how Ivy-EX shakes out. I get the feeling 15 cores will be even more ludicrously expensive than 10...

I just threw together two 4p E5-4650 systems using the X9QRi-F+, which I chose based off the reports on this forum. Both of mine actually shipped with the 1.0d BIOS; I have 4 C0 and 4 C1 and both worked fine.

Just be aware that the X9QRi-F+ uses narrow ILM LGA2011 sockets. That wasn't clear to me when I ordered the board.

EDIT: Holy lurkerness. Joined this forum 03-05-2004, first post today....

On that note, one of the handful of narrow HSFs is the SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4 (it comes with both square and narrow brackets). I find that they keep my processors sufficiently cool, at a max of around 60C when the processors are set to always turbo-boost to 3.1 GHz.

On that note, one of the handful of narrow HSFs is the SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4 (it comes with both square and narrow brackets). I find that they keep my processors sufficiently cool, at a max of around 60C when the processors are set to always turbo-boost to 3.1 GHz.

Fortunately, Noctua does make a narrow ILM version of their NH-U heatsink line in both 120mm and 90mm fan sizes (links to product pages on Noctua's official site: NH-U12DX i4 and NH-U9DX i4). I currently use the NH-U12DX i4 on both of my folding rigs. The Noctua package does come with different mounting brackets that allow the heatsink to be oriented along either the length or width of the narrow ILM socket, but mounting along the width does not clear adjacent populated ram slots on the X9QRi-F+.

When I built my first folding rig for the first time, I used the SuperMicro-OEM SNK-P0050AP4 heatsink mentioned above, but I found the stock fans way too loud. Substituting the fans out for 92mm Noctuas worked noise-wise, but those fans probably didn't create the static pressure required and using the lm-sensors package I was seeing temps of 60C in front and 70C in back at ~22C ambient. I replaced the heatsinks with the Noctua's (stock config, not push-pull) and got 48C in front and 55C in back at the same ambient. When I built my second rig a few days later, I just went for the Noctua's.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to check temps with the SM heatsink with stock fans, so can't provide any data in that regard.

Last edited:
You all think the SMs are loud? I've never done an actual test, but I swear my 4P is a) about the same loudness as the desktop that used to be my second box and b) quieter than my 3770k/dual OC'ed 780s box (I run one of the cards at 75% fan speed to keep temps under control, as that one doesn't have good airflow). Maybe they're not running at full speed?

I might have gone with the Noctuas, but I think the narrow mounting bracket came out shortly after I built mine.

212 EVOs also include the bracket for narrow ILM.
I'm using those on my I2P and I4P.
Just my experience with the SM server fans. Though I did have a total of 18 (3 x 6) running all out at the time :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to check temps with the SM heatsink with stock fans, so can't provide any data in that regard.

I've just build a 4P (E5-4650 ES) using the Supermicro heatsinks (SNK-P0050AP4) and with stock fans I have 58c/59c/63c/64c on cpu1-4 respectively. The fans do make too much sound for my comfort, and I bought the Noctua NF-B9 fans to replace the original fans. Currently too hungover to do any maintenance, but will attempt to do the swap tomorrow after work. Drinking almost a bottle of champagne at the afterparty at 4am, isnt the most clever thing I've done...

I've just build a 4P (E5-4650 ES) using the Supermicro heatsinks (SNK-P0050AP4) and with stock fans I have 58c/59c/63c/64c on cpu1-4 respectively. ...

Hmm, that actually isn't much better than the temps I got with the NF-B9, but I'm guessing your ambient might be higher.

Drinking almost a bottle of champagne at the afterparty at 4am, isnt the most clever thing I've done...

No, but it does prove your [H]ardness, welcome to the 4P club. :cool:

Back