4870 streaking problem

Hades16x

2[H]4U
I've searched the forums a bit and Ive seen similar problems, but no solutions yet.

Here is the problem:
DSC00080.jpg

WoW runs flawless, COD4 runs excellent, but crysis fails at startup and we get this screen.

System:
Q9450
DFI x38 lt
4gb G.Skill PC 1066
VisionTek 4870
Corsair 620HX
Vista x64 Ultimate SP1
Beta Cat's 8.8

Here is what weve tried.
Known good e8400
Known good Corsair TX750
Known good alt set of 4gb Gskill 1066
8.5 cats and 8.8cats.

I dont have another GPU to try as I have a waterblock on my 8800gtx. Thinking about going to bestbuy to pick up another one.

Going to try a fan fix.

If those dont work, gonna reformat.

Any help would be appricated to help fix this,
Thanks,
Michael

I'll have to install Crysis and see if I get this. I'll post back when I do

Geez, I've never seen anything like that. I hope you are able to find a solution to the problem... :(

New Videocard, same problem.

System is 24hr prime 95 stable, ram is stable.

Currently reformatting.

BTW, the streeking can be any color of the rainbow, depending on how it feels I suppose. Sometimes it wont streak, but it will cancel video signal to my monitor.

What form of output are you using? S-Vid, DVI, or DVI-HDMI? I have nothing to offer in the way of help, but could try a different connector.

Update: Vista installed, installing updates and such, along with crysis. Taking it slow.

^^ It did it with both DVI cables, and a DVI to VGA adaptor to a VGA input.

BTW the monitors are fully functional with my e8400/8800gtx build

8.6 8.7 8.8 all the same thing.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to venture out and buy him a GTX260. Its a comparable performing card, it has its issues of its own, but if it's the solution, well all be happy,

Havent run it, But I doubt it would be any different.

Ill try it, but I dont see how that will help address the problem instead of stating the obvious, Crysis fails.

Side note, dont plug 3 gaming computers into the same wall socket, things were freaking out.

Do you have any voltage monitoring software you could run to see what your PSU is supplying when you startup Crysis?
I'm guessing Crysis is stressing your system where COD4 isn't as demanding.

I thought of that, but I changed PSU's out. A 750 watt corsair, that is known good will handle it.

Are you using surge protector or backup battery? Have you tried plugging directly to wall outlet?

Wow you did pretty much every diagnostic test possible. I'm impressed. Looks like it's a bad card.

yeah it has to be the card, I'm not seeing these problems at all. you should still be under warranty. RMA that thing, do you have a backup for the time being?

Crysis works great with my 4870 and I only have a Corsair HX-520. I doubt its your 750.

Yeah, I thought it was a bad card too, but if you read it, I bought another 4870 and it still failed.

No Im plugging in through my UPS. Again, Dont see how this would help diagnose the problem. Im pretty sure e8400/8800gtx + e7200/m8400 + 2 monitors + laserjet > 1 monitor + q9450/4870.

A Kill A Watt would show the voltage among other info you have at the receptical you're powering from.
I used it prior to my current APC which has a LCD showing the same.

my APC shows the same also.

Also, I did all the tests I knew [H]'ers would tell me to do. Its always the same diagnosis steps.

1) That GPU is way to hottz, fan fix it.
2) Your PSU is fubared
3) Your drivers need to be reinstalled
4) You fubared your vista install
5) You RAMzorz are b4d
6) Dude your processor aint stable

and this is where I got to:

7) I have no freaking clue. Unless the 4870 I got was fubared too. Only thing left to try is format to WinXP.

What I've ruled out: Proc/Ram/PSU are stable. OS format is clean and beta 8.8 drivers used. Fan fix works, keeps the GPU ~50 idle. Problem still exists outside the case(no grounding problem).

I'd find it hard to believe the second was bad also.
I'd suggest trying at Rage3D's forum. Maybe someone there might see something overlooked here.

did you try plugging the rig right into the wall, not into the apc? I had a problem with simulated sine wave in my apc and a particular psu i had one time.

Also, do you get this problem in the bios?

...No Im plugging in through my UPS. Again, Dont see how this would help diagnose the problem...

The reason i suggested this is because in rare instances some UPS/surge protectors do not give out proper and consistent voltages. It might be possible that your PSU/ GPU is not getting enough juice.

Since you've tried everything else, why not take 30 seconds of your time and plug the computer directly to the wall and see if it makes a difference.

I tried that, no problem.

But alas, I found the problem:

Quick story:
1) Go to Best Buy
2) Buy BFG GTX 260 OC
3) Win

After trying just about everything in the world, even another 4870, we got a GTX260, reformatted and it works.

Im not going to bash ATI here, or visiontek, but somehow we either got:
A) two bad cards in a row
B) compatablity issues with DFI x38/q9450

Thanks guys,
Michael

Back