4850x2 2gb $149.99 openbox

I would have just bought the 4850x2 if it used 2 6pins instead of a 6pin and 8pin :(

I just returned one of these a few days ago -- takes too much power & makes too much heat.

Look for another one in a week or two :)

Also: I returned ALL accessories, so if you get it, it should be complete.

terrific card, i had one for around 5 or 6 months. slightly slower than the 4870x2, faster than 4850 crossfire, and about the same as 4870 crossfire, except in a few high res situations.

I've been keeping my eyes on one of these, since I can't do crossfire or sli on my newest mobo but would appreciate the power jump.

terrific card, i had one for around 5 or 6 months. slightly slower than the 4870x2, faster than 4850 crossfire, and about the same as 4870 crossfire, except in a few high res situations.
why would it be faster than 4850 crossfire when 4850 crossfired on one card is exactly what it is??

why would it be faster than 4850 crossfire when 4850 crossfired on one card is exactly what it is??

If I had to make a guess, it would be because the connections between the two gpus in the x2 is smoother than the crossfire connection? While the "i only have one x16 slot" market is a viable-yet-slim one, I can't believe that they would make the x2 cards if it wasn't at least slightly better than two individual ones.

Shipping was probably $10, then $15 tax, more like $175, but good deal. Tiger has it for $225 new, no tax, $2 ship.

Because it doesn't require more "work" to crossfire them when they're done via the card itself.
what the heck does that mean? crossfire is crossfire no matter what isnt it? please show me a review that a 4870x2 beats a 4870 1gb crossfire or a 4850x2 beats a 4850 crossfire setup. if anything the separate cards could be faster since they usually can overclock better.

What the HECK are you getting worked up over? Why don't you just look for reviews, geez, none of my business if you want to find do a comparison.

Internal crossfire by hardware and not software.

what the heck does that mean? crossfire is crossfire no matter what isnt it? please show me a review that a 4870x2 beats a 4870 1gb crossfire or a 4850x2 beats a 4850 crossfire setup. if anything the separate cards could be faster since they usually can overclock better.

As an ashamed wiki-whore, there is a concept that comes to mind: WP:Bold. aka, do the legwork yourself. Off the top of my and other people's heads, we've done our best to explain a personally viewed (or by proxy through reviewed) improvement between the x2 cards and crossfire of the same base cards. Hardware solutions are, almost univerally, better than software solutions. I'm sure there are tons of specs out there, but I can't personally care enough to hunt them down. If you do, then please do, and you might even feel like linking to said reviews (with the reviews stating whatever result, one way or the other), here due to relevant topic.

What the HECK are you getting worked up over? Why don't you just look for reviews, geez, none of my business if you want to find do a comparison.

Internal crossfire by hardware and not software.
Im not worked up at all. I simply want proof of what you are saying. the few reviews I have seen have never mentioned any advantage of having crossfire on one board as opposed to separate cards that I recall. they perform exactly the same from what I have seen and if a game has an issue with crossfire it doesnt matter what the setup is.

if a game has an issue with crossfire it doesnt matter what the setup is.
True.

Personally I'd take an x2 over crossfire, mainly cause the x2 saves a slot (obviously) and it takes less power cabling to run an x2 than a crossfire setup. I would imagine the x2 would be marginally faster but I have no facts to support that thought.

+1 for single card solutions!

As an ashamed wiki-whore, there is a concept that comes to mind: WP:Bold. aka, do the legwork yourself. Off the top of my and other people's heads, we've done our best to explain a personally viewed (or by proxy through reviewed) improvement between the x2 cards and crossfire of the same base cards. Hardware solutions are, almost univerally, better than software solutions. I'm sure there are tons of specs out there, but I can't personally care enough to hunt them down. If you do, then please do, and you might even feel like linking to said reviews (with the reviews stating whatever result, one way or the other), here due to relevant topic.

There is no "software" crossfire when using two cards vs "hardware crossfire" when using an X2. I don't even know where you've ever heard that before. The exact same connections are used for crossfire on both setups, they function exactly the same. Whether you use a single X2 card or two of the same cards in crossfire is down to personal preference or if you don't have the hardware to do two card crossfire...

If anything using two single cards has the advantage of being able to run cooler since each card gets its own cooling (making higher overclocks possible), each card can get its own x16 pci-e slot instead of sharing one, and you can turn off crossfire for two more monitor connections (however the 4850x2 can do this as well).

It might be faster because it goes through a dedicated bridge between the cards rather than through something external like a motherboard switch/dongle. You probaby wouldn't be able to notice it. Like they said, its their subject experience so its unreliable.

nope. this is the part where i use the technology of the internet to argue an extremely umimportant point, and not back that up with any facts either.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crossfire+vs+x2
so you learned how to use google? thats great but I am not going to go through every review to see if what you claim is true. the reviews I have seen saw no difference between using a 4870x2 and 4870 1gb for example. please if you actually have something to back up your earlier claims then link to it. if not then please dont just make stuff up.

sure you dont want to read another 50 or 60 articles about it? i knew at least one of you guys would read all that crap.

and this is hot deals. can you please save your picayune debates for other forums, please?

Last edited:
i never claimed to have any proof. read my posts. i was leaving the picayune debating to you other guys.

well i absolutely apologize for being the one guy on the intraweb that typed something that was not pure, set in stone fact. now does anybody think we will have a nuclear war with north korea?

well i absolutely apologize for being the one guy on the intraweb that typed something that was not pure, set in stone fact. now does anybody think we will have a nuclear war with north korea?
apology accepted. lol. seriously its no big deal. its just after you posted that I seriously wanted proof but all I was getting were groundless comments from some people. :cool:

I RMA´d an open box HD 4850X2 from the egg a few months ago. It had one bad core, but appears to be functional through the other core. I have no doubt it´s being recycled.

As for war with North Korea, I say bring it, KJI.;)

Back