4790K and Asus voltage issue..

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Did the Asus 5 way tune and it came up with 4.9ghz @ 1.375V... I thought it was best to keep these under 1.3v? I decided to try and drop down to 4.8ghz and so far I keep dropping the voltage in the AISuite (at 1.25V) and the voltage seen by Coretemp wont drop below 1.31V which appears to be AIDA64 stable. I was told Prime 95 is a bad idea for Haswell chips.. is AIDA64 the only stress test I should use to confirm stability? Right now on AIR with a silent build I am pushing my limitations due to heat.

I would prefer all the way [email protected] than 4.9ghz at 1.375... but also core temp does not show voltage it show VID.. (which also doesn't count in fact)... use CPU-Z, or even the Same Aida64 to check voltage..

Download ASUS RealBench and run it.. if you are stable two or three consecutive runs of RealBench you will be stable in any kind of load in the real world usage which are the important thing to take into consideration..I found RealBench as one of the best benchmark tools actually. and its actually what I use to test my personal, friend and client machines..

In my experience you're better off backing down a bit for the highest clock you can get with your chip if you want to keep your hardware for a while. More room for unexpected circumstances like hot weather and aging components.

In my experience you're better off backing down a bit for the highest clock you can get with your chip if you want to keep your hardware for a while. More room for unexpected circumstances like hot weather and aging components.

I had no plans of running 4.9ghz and that much voltage.. I am hoping for 4.8ghz @ 1.3V or lower for final stability.

Asus Tune doesn't do 'sync all cores"most of the time, did you check if all cores have been OC'd to 4.9ghz? or just one?

OC it yourself. There are so many variables when it comes to OCing. Auto tuning will make it more complicated than need be.

Asus Tune doesn't do 'sync all cores"most of the time, did you check if all cores have been OC'd to 4.9ghz? or just one?

All cores.. there is setting on the Z97 boards where you can tell it to do all cores. The 4.9 ghz was acting odd sometimes.. I really don't think it was stable. I am really hoping for 4.8 at a decent voltage.. usually when I reduce core voltage the VID drops iwth it.. in my case this one did not drop VID.

Ok.. look at my voltage settings in TPU tune.. I keep lowering it and my actual voltage seems to have stopped dropping.

This is using AIDA64 I get ~1.31V totally stable in AIDA64 but fails prime 95 in about a minute.

I ran Intel Xtreme Tuning Stress Test for 5 minutes and passed.. at first I did not.. Here is the strange thing.. AIDA64 pushes the VID up higher... Prime 95 and Intel Xtreme Tuning Stress test my VID was lower while they are running.. so I failed both instantly.. with small bumps in voltage I passed the 5 minutes of Intel stress test (how long do you run it)? and my peak VID was 1.301V. Is it normal for AIDA to push the voltage higher? AIDA64 seemed to raise my voltage even tho I was dropping it.. Prime and Intel programs boht responded to voltage drops an raises.. Wierd..

Last edited:
UPDATE: Right now I can only pass about 3 hours of Intel XTU @ VID 1.308V.. peak temps 78C on air. I found that Turbo mode wasn't setting fans to full speed so when I did that the temps dropped a few C. Going to give the voltage another small bump. Will be happy when I can pass 4 hours and probably leave it there. When I run AIDA64 it actually pushes the voltage up higher than Intel XTU.. so strange.. I keep reading AIDA64 isn't supposed to do that.

Last edited:
Back