42" TV on PC, problems (for friend)

CHAoS_NiNJA

[H]ard|Gawd
My friend is having some issues but doesn't have a [H] account, so he asked me to post this for him:

"Im running a x1900xt Asus and i just hooked up my 46in lcd tv 1080p.The cable im useing is Component. The resolution that is should be runing at is 1920 by 1080. when I set the TV to the resolution it makes the screen really big and doesn't stay inside the TV (move mouse to top of screen image moves down) I tryed setting the TV to bar mode didn't help. When i open my ATi Tool it says the TV can set to 1024 by 768 witch is not Right. Could it be that im running the TV on Component and not DVI to HDMI. Would that help if i did do that."

Doubtful it supports high resolution over component.

Try, VGA, DVI, HDMI...

I agree. I think your friend is on the right track. Lend him a DVI cable and let him try that out. I think very few component cables are capable of passing 1080p, but all DVI cables (unless defective) are capable of 1080p. Plus, that's one less digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion pair with DVI, which theoretically helps maintain signal/image quality.

DVI would be best, HDMI would be better than what's being used. Better handshake sometimes with DVI, I have some under scanning with DVI to HDMI. If it syncs well over VGA that's another idea. Component is dead last for a PC of those. Should have mentioned the set though.

Back