4080 for 4k gaming at 120hertz? Ok?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Can the 4080 do 4k gaming? I have a 48inch LG C2 120hertz and am thinking of picking this up. Worth it?

Thanks everyone!

Can the 4080 do 4k gaming? I have a 48inch LG C2 120hertz and am thinking of picking this up. Worth it?

Thanks everyone!
Depends entirely what games and settings you're talking, and if the games support dlss and frame generation. In general it's solid for most stuff at high/ultra settings though, especially with DLSS q.

Cool. I'm probably overthinking it like I do with everything. I'll just pull the trigger. Hell half the games I play are from 1990 to 2010 anyways. Thanks!

The 4080 is a gaming beast. I like going 1440p with eye candy settings cranked to max.

Ima rub a tub o' butta on me ass and sit like a pig n' shit and play all day!

You won't be hitting 120 fps at 4k max settings with most modern games with top notch visuals and requirements. That's what 4090 is for.
Unless you use upscaling or lower details.
I've been getting 120fps with max settings and ray tracing on at 4k in all the games I played so far on the 4080. Warzone included. Works fine over here. Using DLSS Quality.

I've been getting 120fps with max settings and ray tracing on at 4k in all the games I played so far on the 4080. Warzone included. Works fine over here. Using DLSS Quality.
I mean nebell literally said unless you are using upscaling or lowering details. You are literally doing just that. The 4090 is literally borderline for 4k 120 without DLSS in a lot of games right now.

I mean nebell literally said unless you are using upscaling or lowering details. You are literally doing just that. The 4090 is literally borderline for 4k 120 without DLSS in a lot of games right now.
And even with quality DLSS he wont be anywhere near 120 fps on max settings with ray tracing on at 4k in some really demanding games. Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3 with RT and even Watch Dogs Legion would be some examples. He would be lucky to even hold 60 fps in the first three examples there.

Heck Starfield does not even have RT and a 4080 only gets about 60 fps using quality DLSS with the mod. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/starfield-dlss-community-patch/

Last edited:
Thankfully the games I play I get 120fps. I don't play any of the game you listed.

And even with quality DLSS he wont be anywhere near 120 fps on max settings with ray tracing on at 4k in some really demanding games. Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3 with RT and even Watch Dogs Legion would be some examples. He would be lucky to even hold 60 fps in the first three examples there.

Heck Starfield does not even have RT and a 4080 only gets about 60 fps using quality DLSS with the mod. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/starfield-dlss-community-patch/
That just proves that the creation engine is garbage, nothing else.

I think it should be fine for 4k120 for a little while. I'd probably just bite the bullet and find a good used 4090 though. It'll last longer.

I think it should be fine for 4k120 for a little while. I'd probably just bite the bullet and find a good used 4090 though. It'll last longer.
I think its good for 4k120 for maybe a year. You cant control how devs optimize games and the game engines they use, you can only control the hardware you run it on. So far games are starting to really push the 4090 and thats really the only true 4k120 card on the market.

Um again, we already have games right now that can't do 4k 120.

My feedback to this issue is that I have a 4070ti and I do 4k60fps. I would think the 4080 is going to be a stretch at 120fps.

As with any hardware, it's all about what you're trying to play, at what settings you want.

Love high resolutions and framerate? Don't be surprised if you have to dial down some other in-game settings to keep the framerates up.

In turn, you'll have no problem running some old game like Unreal Tournament '99 or Counter-Strike 1.6 at 4K 120 Hz, but attempting the same in Cyberpunk 2077 is a recipe for disappointment, especially with ray-tracing enabled.

At the very least, between the triple DisplayPort 1.4s and the HDMI 2.1 on most 4080s, you won't have a problem physically pushing that resolution + refresh rate to a monitor or HDTV of your choice.

In my case, I have an RTX 4080 driving a 4K 144 Hz HDR monitor, though the monitor isn't the real reason I have that sort of GPU - it's VR, which tends to bring even the 4090 to its knees in more unoptimized titles. At least the 4080 is proving to be good enough, now that DCS is finally starting to see some measure of optimization.

Pancake games? It plays perceptibly well enough with most of them on high/max. Can't guarantee a locked 120+ Hz, though, but it's usually over 60 Hz, barring moments like Starfield that inexplicably have frames more in the 30-40s when you're in space with a bunch of ships around.

As with any hardware, it's all about what you're trying to play, at what settings you want.

In turn, you'll have no problem running some old game like Unreal Tournament '99 or Counter-Strike 1.6 at 4K 120 Hz, but attempting the same in Cyberpunk 2077 is a recipe for disappointment, especially with ray-tracing enabled.
Actually I think you'll run into a serious roadblock. DirectX7 doesn't support a resolution wider than 2048. UT99 works at 1920x1080, but can't go past that. I actually ran into this problem in 2003 or so with 3 CRTs hooked up to a Matrox Parhelia. UT99 runs really well on a Parhelia. I could only run UT99 in surround if I set my screens to 640x480. Also you'll need to edit a config file and change your field of view. UT99 is all screwed up on widescreen monitors if you don't. Of course it's really bad in surround. Finally, you might have to set CPU affinity. UT99 ran like shit on a dual socket Opteron machine until I pegged it to a single core on the socket attached to the vid card. Not sure what it'll do on a modern machine. I probably haven't played it since 2009 or so.

As for the original topic, just go for it. You'll just have to use DLSS or turn down some settings in heavier titles. I find my 3090 is still good enough and plan on skipping this generation. Then again I don't demand 120Hz out of everything. Like I played through Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k with RT on and DLSS set to performance. That got me framerates in the mid 50s. But I was playing a netrunner and mostly sneaking, sniping and frying people with quickhacks. Mostly quickhacks later in the game. Maybe I'll replay it after the 5000 series comes out and I upgrade vid cards and probably build a whole new rig.

What's the logic behind this observation? If you're not getting minimum 120 FPS at 4k on every game ever released, then the card isn't viable? :ROFLMAO:

Someone stuck on that train of logic must get really bent out of shape every time a new, unoptimized game comes out :rolleyes:

The 4090 is a fantastic card, but you don't have to pretend like it's necessary for 4k 120Hz gaming. It's overkill, you might as well accept it.

What's the logic behind this observation? If you're not getting minimum 120 FPS at 4k on every game ever released, then the card isn't viable? :ROFLMAO:

Someone stuck on that train of logic must get really bent out of shape every time a new, unoptimized game comes out :rolleyes:

The 4090 is a fantastic card, but you don't have to pretend like it's necessary for 4k 120Hz gaming. It's overkill, you might as well accept it.
This. You can play at 4k with other cards. In most games max settings look around 2% better but you can lower settings for huge framerate boosts with minimal iq loss anyway. Most games aren't that demanding, either.

I'm still happy with my 3080 and have gamed at 4k60 since 2014. I'll upgrade to 4k high refresh at some point and probably be plenty happy with a 5080 vs a 5090 for example.

Hmmmm, guess we've never had a card that is acceptable for 4K. No one should ever buy a 4K display or card that pretends to drive it. 7800XT/4070 or lessor for everyone on a 1080p display.

So many stupid replies in this thread from people who can't pay attention to context. You clowns are quoting what I said without even bothering to look at the post right before mine that I was referring to. And if you care about 120 hertz at 4k and running the best settings then how stupid do you have to be to recommend anything other than the best card?

So many stupid replies in this thread from people who can't pay attention to context. You clowns are quoting what I said without even bothering to look at the post right before mine that I was referring to.
jobert, is the stuttering in the room with us now?

You began the attacks after several people posted reasonable rebuttals such as this by me :). Don't fling it if you don't want it back, bud.

https://hardforum.com/threads/4080-for-4k-gaming-at-120hertz-ok.2030774/post-1045768383
And instead of quoting me, maybe you morons should have read the post above mine that I was referring to in the first place and there would have been nothing to even be said. I mean holy cow all I said was that we have games right now that can't run at 120 hz at 4K and that is true. Do you have to play those games? No. Do you have to play maxed out? No. You can make your own goddamn decisions, but I was simply pointing out something to someone who acted like we still have plenty of time to be getting 120 FPS at 4k as that's not true depending on the situation. I mean hell break out whatever piece of crap card you want to and play it at 4k 120hz and tell me how we don't need anything else for that resolution and that changes nothing about what I just said.

And instead of quoting me, maybe you morons should have read the post above mine that I was referring to in the first place and there would have been nothing to even be said. I mean holy cow all I said was that we have games right now that can't run at 120 hz at 4K and that is true. Do you have to play those games? No. Do you have to play maxed out? No. You can make your own goddamn decisions, but I was simply pointing out something to someone who acted like we still have plenty of time to be getting 120 FPS at 4k as that's not true depending on the situation. I mean hell break out whatever piece of crap card you want to and play it at 4k 120hz and tell me how we don't need anything else for that resolution and that changes nothing about what I just said.
I'm perfectly capable of understanding context, and responded with that in mind. Stop dodging the question though... The stuttering jedi knight game, is it here in the room with us now?

I'm perfectly capable of understanding context, and responded with that in mind. Stop dodging the question though... The stuttering jedi knight game, is it here in the room with us now?
You clearly are not capable of it and neither were the two other people that quoted me. AGAIN the person I was referring to said we should be good for about another year for 4k 120hz so I mentioned there are already games where that is an issue. :rolleyes:

You clearly are not capable of it and neither were the two other people that quoted me. AGAIN the person I was referring to said we should be good for about another year for 4k 120hz so I mentioned there are already games where that is an issue. :rolleyes:
Sure, but the general concept was indeed correct but for a couple of slight exceptions. Protip: write less garbage and don't swear like a teenager, and you get better quality replies back. Just something I've picked up online over the years....

Sure, but the general concept was indeed correct. Protip: write less garbage and don't swear like a teenager, and you get better quality replies back. Just something I've picked up online over the years....
When multiple people take what I said out of context and make sarcastic and passive aggressive comments and clowns like you join in then I will reply in any matter I feel like.

When multiple people take what I said out of context and make sarcastic and passive aggressive comments and clowns like you join in then I will reply in any matter I feel like.
Thanks for your input.

Still hoping for a 4080 Ti to make an appearance.
For what? If you need more than a 4080 then get a 4090. If it splits the difference on price and performance between a 4080 and 4090 then how is that worth waiting for? Someone could have already been enjoying the 4090 for over a year now and gotten more value out of it in the end.

The 4080 ti would only be worth waiting for if was a situation like the 10 series where the 1080 got a big price cut and the 1080 ti came in at the same price as the original 1080 FE.

Don't lower yourself to his level. We know what level that is.
And what level are you on? You quoted me with no clue what the original context was and made an idiotic reply clearly just because someone else did it.

Back