400w should work right?

xvioz

Weaksauce
My old Aspire case came with a 400w PSU and I'm wondering if I'll be able to run the following fine:

AMD 3200+ @ 2.2ghz
Asus A8N-E
768 MB of memory
LG IDE DVDRW
Maxtor 250 GB IDE
2xWD 500 GB SATA2
Gigabyte 7200GS PCI-E
Hauppauge HVR-1600
2 case fans

Right now I don't have the video card, TV tuner or the second WD 500 GB drive in there so I just want to make sure it'll handle it fine before I go ahead and add them. I plan on upgrading it to a Corsair xxxHX model when I'm ready to add another hard drive but I don't think that'll be for awhile.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Aspire? Blah.

Replace it sooner rather than later.

a quality 400W PSU? With ease,

an aspire PSU? uhh, maybe not. Last time I looked at an aspire PSU i think the 5V had a rating of 60A (hhehehehehehe... god I'd love to see that tested, blue flames ftw). Aspire PSUs are bull shit.

A seasonic HB380W would fit the build just fine.

As mentioned you take a risk with a cheap power supply.
Its not just a risk of losing the PC, if you leave it on when not home there is a very small risk but still possible of it setting on fire should it die.
Decent PSUs are less likely to fail and when they do fail the circuitry fails more gracefully under many situations.

In the past year I have tested 2 cheaper PSUs, about £20 each.
The first ones fan died, the second one gave too high voltage from the 3.3V causing the PC to beep loudly while refusing to boot.
I thinks thats an omen!

Yes, it would power that system, but your best off buying a quality psu if you plan to stick with it for a while.

You definately don't need anything over 400w to power that system, but I wouldn't recommend keeping the aspire psu.

Thanks for the replies.

The Aspire one is just a temporary solution since it came with my case but rather than buying another hard drive next I'll go for a 520HX (local store usually has them on sale every week).

300W should be fine, but replace that power supply, not for power requirements, but for safety of your components and reliability. Try the VX450 anyway, overkill, but cheap and should last you ages.

MrWizard, there is no such power supply as the Corsair HB380. Talking of Corsair, I can't wait for the review of the HX1000, looks pretty promising, should be great quality. (End of off topic sentence)

Back