$400 for a Netbook -- what should I get?

As the title states...I'm in the market for one -- whats the best performance to battery life ratio? Thanks guys!

If you're looking for performance, then it's really hard to recommend anything but one of the new netbooks with CULV processors. A CULV processor is much more powerful than any Atom.

I only know about the Gateway EC18/EC14 series (as well as the equivalent Acer-branded version Timeline 1810/1410), and I have an EC1803h. It absolutely owns. With a 6-cell battery, it gets around 5 hours with wifi on.

If you're looking for performance, then it's really hard to recommend anything but one of the new netbooks with CULV processors. A CULV processor is much more powerful than any Atom.

I only know about the Gateway EC18/EC14 series (as well as the equivalent Acer-branded version Timeline 1810/1410), and I have an EC1803h. It absolutely owns. With a 6-cell battery, it gets around 5 hours with wifi on.

Depends on what KIND of performance you're looking for. ION literally SMOKES any other netbook graphics solution, so far. I don't know anything about the CULV processors yet, but if it's paired with an intel video solution, I can't imagine doing anything but having faster spreadsheets with it.

Yeah, sorry, I should've clarified. I was talking about CPU performance of course.

For anything 3d graphics, ION is much faster even when paired with a slower Atom.

None.

Go with a refurbished business class 12" like the Lenvovo X61, HP 2510P or Dell D430.

Thank me after.

as of today: some? those refurbs won't get you very far with flash.
the intel 4500mhd accelerates flash 1080p fullscreen with the new 10.1 beta.

so it's still a draw between the CULV+4500 and atom+ION, but it still lands on rather or not you need CPU or gaming ability.
(until there's an ION+CULV netbook, anyway)

None.

Go with a refurbished business class 12" like the Lenvovo X61, HP 2510P or Dell D430.

Thank me after.

I have a budget of max. $400 -- and I really really dislike 4:3. And those have the GMA950 -- So I don't think I'll be doing much better.

as of today: some? those refurbs won't get you very far with flash.
the intel 4500mhd accelerates flash 1080p fullscreen with the new 10.1 beta.

so it's still a draw between the CULV+4500 and atom+ION, but it still lands on rather or not you need CPU or gaming ability.
(until there's an ION+CULV netbook, anyway)

Do you know of any other models that use the CULV besides that Gateway model?

you need to first decide what's most important to you - size/screen resolution, graphics performance, or battery life?.

I needed something small that had good battery life, so I ended up with a Toshiba nb200 netbook. it's your basic 10" atom n280 setup with bluetooth and wifi built-in, running XP. It had a really nice keyboard that I liked, and if fits in my camera bag, which is my carry-on when I travel. And the battery lasts 9 hours.

I recently went to Hawaii, and used the netbook on the 5+ hr flight to watch a ~2 hr movie, a couple of 1 hr episodes of top gear, and listened to some music. I used it for 2 more nights in the hotel to check email and surf the web before I had to plug it in to recharge.

I did add a 2gb ram stick (up from 1gb), and also did my usual OS tweeking and un-installed a lot of crapware and useless utilities I didn't need, which makes a pretty good difference in performance. Stupid thing came preloaded with 55 running processes at startup. I got it down to 24 when I was done tweeking.

Yes, it will probably struggle with full HD video (haven't even tried), but it has no problems playing anything at the native res (1024x600) or DVD (480i) with VLC media player

and speaking of resolution, it could definitely use more, as it feels a bit cramped sometimes, but I wanted to keep it small for portability.

so if you don't need something tiny, or super long battery life, look into the 11" netbooks. I suggest taking a trip to your local Best Buy first, and giving them a good hands-on test. I was dead set on a particular Asus until I used it in the store, and didn't like the keyboard.

Back