$40 i7 cooler -- Dark Knight or something eles?

A lot of people suggest the Dark Knight, if you searched you would see that. I chose to spend a little extra money and get the Coolermaster V8. Only cost me $10 more and I'd say it was worth it. It looks better (imo), it cools better (not by much, but my temps are a little lower compared to the Xig, granted, processors vary), it was a snap to install, and it's pretty close to silent.

Just to give you an idea: Prime95 in-place large FFT temps are about 71-73C after a couple hours at 3.4ghz 1.19v. HTT is enabled. It'd probably be better if the ambient temp wasn't 30C though. :eek:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

Call up your local Fry's or Microcenter if you're near one, got mine for $50. For some reason obscure to me, Fry's had quite a few returned V8's, I did not ask why and I haven't heard of any widespread disgust, so I assume people just wanted something cheaper.

i assume the returns were because some idiots didnt realize til they got home that the V8 doesnt fit in their 5" wide dell inspiron. :D

i assume the returns were because some idiots didnt realize til they got home that the V8 doesnt fit in their 5" wide dell inspiron. :D

Oh yeah didn't think of that, even my huge Rocketfish only has about an inch clearance between the top of the cooler and the side panel.

+1 for the Scythe Mugen. At first my temps were iffy, then I reseated the HS and now I idle at ~26 and ~64 after a minute of Core Damage.

There are a few other reviews out on this cooler and I can say it does a heck of a job colling the bad thing is the size of it.

I'm not sure if this is out of your price range but I highly recommend the Prolimatech Megahalems heatsink. HardOCP did a review found here and it seems like a great bit of kit

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYxNCw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

My two favorite things about this cooler are the mounting system and fact that it looks like I have the autobots logo in my computer. The mounting system is bang on and looks and feels solid.

The con is that on some boards you cannot populate all 6 DIMM slots with "tall" memory

Looking at the mugen two, that looks like a beast. I don't think you can go wrong with any tower aftermarket heatsink and 120mm fan.

I looked at that cooler also but it was just to pricey and I think you still needed to buy the fan.

Back