40" 4k Monitor or TV help

NrthnStar5

n00b
I recently purchased a Samsung UN40JU6500 to use as my computer monitor. I returned it today after using it for close to two weeks. Unfortunately, this display has some significant motion blur in the 0-20 transition (the black to dark gray). All other transitions are fast.

So, I'm back to square one. I know I want a 40" 4k Monitor, but preferably without the motion blur issue. I do game, primarily MMO's (EQ2, LOTRO, WoW, ESO, Wildstar, etc.). I also felt that in this application, a curved screen could prove beneficial.

So, I thought I was going to try the Samsung UN40JU7500, however I'm concerned it may suffer from the same motion blur issues in the 0-20 transition, as I've been told it's common in Samsung's line up.

Alternatively, I'm considering the Philips BDM4065UC. While it's not curved, I've heard generally positive things about this monitor, and I feel it may be less likely to have the motion blur.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd definitely be interested in hearing from any owners of either of these two screens, or if anyone has any other suggestions for what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I'm still on the fence regarding buying the Samsung ju6700 due to the motion blur...curious what owners have to say too.

I'm still on the fence regarding buying the Samsung ju6700 due to the motion blur...curious what owners have to say too.

I wondered too about the JU6700. I assumed it was the same as the JU6500 but curved. However, I had a TV reviewer confirm the motion blur issue but they said it didn't happen on their 55" JU6500. The motion blur only affect blacks/near black colors, but it still bugged me enough to return it.

Hmm, yeah your braver than I am...it takes me ages to decide. I think im settled on the JU7500 as that has a 240hz panel and according to some on here runs smoother for PC gaming. Just gonna wait for a sale on it I think.

Hmm, yeah your braver than I am...it takes me ages to decide. I think im settled on the JU7500 as that has a 240hz panel and according to some on here runs smoother for PC gaming. Just gonna wait for a sale on it I think.

My understanding though is the 240hz is only achieved through Samsung's AutoMotion Plus, which would mean you wouldn't get Chroma 4:4:4 and input lag would be really high. When you set the device to "PC" on the TV, you'll get Chroma 4:4:4 at 60hz.

It is strange, the JU6500 was the only one of the Samsungs (except for the one with PLS panel) tested on rtings that didn't have a 0%-20% (0-50) transition around 35ms-48ms but at 16.9ms.
But varying performance among different panel sizes, firmware changes to the Overdrive impulse, even erroneous measurements aren't impossible.
How did it exhibit the motion blur, any of the following observations?
- Long black or dark purple trails
- Multiple clear copies of dark outlines
- Blue Overdrive shadows
- Did certain surfaces and trees at night darken in motion and then take a noticeable delay after stopping to reach their original luminance level again

From user reports the 40'' 7500 series are supposed to be better with blur and the backlight behaves differently which could have an effect on perceived motion.
Not sure about the 0-20% though.
I doubt you'll be happy with the Philips which has its own set of issues, you can see them in its thread.
Not sure the (flicker-free) Crossover 404k and the iiyama LE4041UHS have the same panel/problems but its possible.
Another option would be to take a look at the korean 42'' IPS , I don't know much about it but there are some big threads on overclock.net.

Last edited:
It is strange, the JU6500 was the only one of the Samsungs (except for the one with PLS panel) tested on rtings that didn't have a 0%-20% (0-50) transition around 35ms-48ms but at 16.9ms.
But varying performance among different panel sizes, firmware changes to the Overdrive impulse, even erroneous measurements aren't impossible.
How did it exhibit the motion blur, any of the following observations?
- Long black or dark purple trails
- Multiple clear copies of dark outlines
- Blue Overdrive shadows
- Did certain surfaces and trees at night darken in motion and then take a noticeable delay after stopping to reach their original luminance level again

From user reports the 40'' 7500 series are supposed to be better with blur and the backlight behaves differently which could have an effect on perceived motion.
Not sure about the 0-20% though.
I doubt you'll be happy with the Philips which has its own set of issues, you can see them in its thread.
Not sure the (flicker-free) Crossover 404k and the iiyama LE4041UHS have the same panel/problems but its possible.
Another option would be to take a look at the korean 42'' IPS , I don't know much about it but there are some big threads on overclock.net.

Black textures would blur upon movement, and yes, certain surfaces would darken during motion and brighten once stopped. I could eliminate it if I turned my brightness up to 55 or higher, but then everything looked washed out.

I contacted rtings originally to ask about it, as I'm still learning about these various things but they advised that "Our 55” JU6500 doesn’t have that problem. But our 55” JU7100, 55” JS8500 and even our 65” JS9500 have that exact problem."

I will add that I was satisfied with the JU6500 with the exception of the motion blur in the 0-20 transition. If I could find another model without that issue, I'd be set. But buying a JU6700/7100/7500 seems like a gamble, and none of this models I can pick up locally. I did see some of the issues with the philips, and that may even have the same problem I had with my JU6500.

I'm starting to think it might be best to wait this out until more options come out... Which is sad as I loved 40" @ 4k.

Back