4 Seagate ST3750 drives failed in last 4 months

Castor Troy

Weaksauce
Anybody else experienced this? Back in October I purchased 5 Seagate ST3750640AS 7200.10 750gb SATA 3.0gb HDD's; used in a raid 5 (4 drives + hot spare). I installed them in February. They're in a Lian-Li PC-V2110B case with plenty of ventilation.

In the last 4 months, I've had 4 of the 5 fail. The last two to fail kicked the bucket within minutes of each other, and the array was lost.

Is this a known issue with these drives? I lost over 1.5Tb worth of data (all backed up on DVD's, but as you can probably guess, that's a hell of a lot of DVD's).

i've learned some valuable info about data backup, and will be setting up a 2nd system with an identical raid 5 to mirror the data, as well as getting a 2tb external HDD to backup data every night. but i'm still perplexed by the drive failure. are these drives the new ibm deathstar??

Are the drives getting enough cool air? The first thing that comes to mine is extra stress of the drives caused by heat.

Also, what power supply are you using? Have drives been the only thing dying in this computer?

What kinda controller do you have and are you 100% sure they failed and not that the controller dumped them?

Also, what batch did you get (you should be able to tell based on where they were produced) as there was a bad batch circling around not too long ago.

the case has a 120mm intake fan and 2 80mm exhaust fans dedicated to the hard drive section of the case.

it's a controller from promise. PSU is a coolmax cug-700b.

the system consists of an asus m2n-sli, evga 8800gts, athlon x2 6000+, 2gb geil ddr2-800, a 74gb raptor, and then the promise controller + seagate drives. i'm at work now, but i'll check the batch when i get home.

It could have been a bad batch of Seagates, but it sounds more like something else causing issues. I do remember that PSU from a Jonny Guru review, where it became unstable and blew before testing was even finished, there's a real chance it may be to blame.

I had one 500Gb 7200.11 that was all of a sudden only wanted to be detected by the bios intermittently. I would play musical chairs with my SATA and power cables and it would *appear* to fix the problem only to have it start doing it again a few weeks later. Eventually it wouldn’t detect the drive at all. That’s the only problem I’ve had though out of many 7200.11 drives.

I had one 500Gb 7200.11 that was all of a sudden only wanted to be detected by the bios intermittently. I would play musical chairs with my SATA and power cables and it would *appear* to fix the problem only to have it start doing it again a few weeks later. Eventually it wouldn’t detect the drive at all. That’s the only problem I’ve had though out of many 7200.11 drives.

Funny you mention this. I had the same exact experience with that same drive. Did the whole musical chairs thing as well, and I even went to other computers.

Last month though, it just stopped being detected by the BIOS or it would detect it with 0 MB.

Back