4 monitor card - how do display port to HDMI converters work? 1 converter for multi monitors?

I'm not sure what the deal is with DP converters. I have 4 identical monitors and another that has VGA, HDMI and DVI-?. I need to replace my current card that supports the 4 monitors but all the cards in my price range have a odd configuration of outputs (probably for a reason I don't understand). My current one has 2x2 HDMI and DVI and I use DVI to HDMI cables to connect the monitors. the other monitor is run off a DP port on the computer with a converter to HDMI.

The price of the converters is kind of high especially if I need 3 for one card! BTW, this card is for a desktop that does photo and video editing, IPTV nad general desktop work. This will be run on a Linux OS.

I was looking at this card
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
only because it doesn't need any converters and is priced acceptably compared to having by converters.

or this:
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 DirectX 12 GV-N1050WF2OC-2GD 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
but IDK if I need the extra 2GB of ram. the monitors are only 1920x1080.

FYI windows is now much better at running multiple video drivers. I have run my AMD card in parallel with onboard Intel IGPU and it worked just done. If you have IGPU you can try that before plunking down cash onto another card.

Also, FYI, the only time you need expensive active converter is when you go from DVI to DisplayPort. In all the other cases, i.e. DVI->HDMI, DP->HDMI, HDMI->DVI, cheap passive cables will work.

FYI windows is now much better at running multiple video drivers. I have run my AMD card in parallel with onboard Intel IGPU and it worked just done. If you have IGPU you can try that before plunking down cash onto another card.

Also, FYI, the only time you need expensive active converter is when you go from DVI to DisplayPort. In all the other cases, i.e. DVI->HDMI, DP->HDMI, HDMI->DVI, cheap passive cables will work.

That is awesome (the cable thing!) That opens up a lot of options.

As far as the Windows, I'm running Linux.

That is awesome (the cable thing!) That opens up a lot of options.

As far as the Windows, I'm running Linux.
Ugh, I may have to backtrack on what I said. While you may not need expensive active adapters, it looks like GTX10xx series can only drive 4 monitors at once, in which case, you may be OOL?

Back