3TB Seagate Drive - 159 worth it?

The 3TB external seagate drives I've opened lately (goflex and expansion) have contained a mix of ST3000DM001 and ST33000651AS. Lately more ST3000DM001. Whether you'll get one of those or something else I can't say with any certainty.

Well let me start by saying I need some space in a hurry.....

Newegg has a 3TB External seagate for 159 shipped here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148865 with promo code.

Anyone know what drive is in that and is it worth 160 at this point?

Be extra careful about which drive you buy. Practically all the manufactures have changed their warranty policy's. I personally would never by a large capacity drive with anything less than a 3 year warranty. I would prefer 5 year warranty but you will rarely find that outside enterprise drives now a days.

It all counts on whether you need the space now because prices are still relatively high compared to a year ago. We were paying $60 for 2TB before the floors so factoring that in, you are looking at $90 for 3TB plus a premium for more capacity, external drive, and USB 3.0 so maybe $100-$110.

When 2TB's hit ~$70-$80 again, and the 3TB's fall in line, that's when I think you should consider buying if you can wait. It probably will drop lower than that though so really, time is on your side unless you need the capacity now.

It all counts on whether you need the space now because prices are still relatively high compared to a year ago. We were paying $60 for 2TB before the floors so factoring that in, you are looking at $90 for 3TB plus a premium for more capacity, external drive, and USB 3.0 so maybe $100-$110.

I think there was *one* freak deal that had an external 3TB drive under $100, but other than that, getting a 3TB Hitachi internal at $110 was a steal.

I don't think $159 sounds too bad for an external USB 3.0 3TB, especially with the prices of drives being higher than they were 6-8 months ago. Honestly, I'm debating picking that up myself.

I got a USB3 Seagate 2TB for $99 in December, when prices were really nuts. I really dig it. I'm not even sure what the warranty is, as it the warranty changes may not have taken place at that time... I don't remember. But it's 5900RPM. I've not removed the drive to see, but it's reported as ST2000DL001-9VT156.

EDIT.

I just looked, and it's 2 years. Not great, but for the price at the time, I'm not complaining.

Be extra careful about which drive you buy. Practically all the manufactures have changed their warranty policy's. I personally would never by a large capacity drive with anything less than a 3 year warranty. I would prefer 5 year warranty but you will rarely find that outside enterprise drives now a days.

Until now I wouldn't either, but now that means buying a Caviar Black, and the price premium is too much IMHO, unless you need the speed.

Until now I wouldn't either, but now that means buying a Caviar Black, and the price premium is too much IMHO, unless you need the speed.

Well i think Samsung and Hitachi still have 3 year warranty's but the blacks are really only the ones that still have 5 years. I wish that lowering the warranties was just a temporary measure because of the shortage. More likely the companies leaped at the opportunity to lower their warranties using the shortage as a legitimate sounding excuse to do so. Less warranty means the consumer will buy more drives. :mad:

Well let me start by saying I need some space in a hurry.....

Newegg has a 3TB External seagate for 159 shipped here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148865 with promo code.

Anyone know what drive is in that and is it worth 160 at this point?

It's worth the $160 given the relatively high hard drive prices, especially if the drive contained within is a Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 (the older ST33000651AS used five 600GB platters rather than the three 1TB platters used in the ST3000DM001). As of now, all of Seagate's new SATA hard drives are all 7200 RPM.

And yes, the external hard drive kits carry a 2-year warranty.

Samsung is Seagate and Hitachi is WD.

I realize that they are owned by either seagate or wd. As far as i know the warranty on the drives has not changed yet (I could be wrong). They will most likely change when the storage groups are fully integrated with their new host companies. Fortunately there is still a limited window that you can still get grandfathered in with the original manufactures warranty.

I love loopholes that work for the customer instead of against them :D

Back