3TB Hitachi Deskstar Internal Hard Drive (Retail Kit) $107

I'd say I have 60-70% FLAC but there's just some stuff I can only find in lower bitrates.

Mine is all 60's to 80's rock.

If there's anything in particular you're looking for just PM me.

Sharing music is what it's all about. :)

Yeah i hear you on the lack of FLAC for all music, But you sir have a impressive collection of high quality music.

seller wont ship to hawaii... getting tired of this.

Which is strange, considering they can use a flat rate box to get it there at the same cost. They should just charge a premium or something, it's like you have to fill out customs paperwork.

I got mine plugged up today, but I'm having issues with the WHS2011 and the drive. Only shows 746gb. I'm using a ECS A780GM mobo - according to their website I'm SOL on getting the full 3tb because their bios doesn't support it. Going to need to spend some time playing with it.

^It appeared like that for me as well, when I plugged it in via USB. After I plugged it into manually, it picked up everything 2.72 gigs.

If your board doesn't support past 2.2 (i believe) the work around most people seem to do is split to 2 partitions.

win7/ gigabyte x58a-ud3r

Or get a controller or usb enclosure that supports it.

I knew it wouldn't work well with my WHS but the JMicron eSATA chip on my P6T doesn't like it either......I knew there'd be trouble! :D

Looks like it'll hafta go on the Intel ports.

Did you guys run that hitachi GPT disk manager software to fully make it see past the 2.2GB limitation? I ran it and its now working.

Did you guys run that hitachi GPT disk manager software to fully make it see past the 2.2GB limitation? .
Yep, but with the drive connected via eSATA it doesn't even recognize a drive is there.

Asus also makes 3TB disk unlocker and while it does recognize the drive thru eSATA it still partitions it.

Maybe I'm not working it well but I'm thinking this has to be on the Intel ports to work correctly. ;)

Just as a follow up to the 746gb I was getting - I removed it from my docking station and plugged it directly into the A780 via SATA and immediately got the full 2.7Tb. Didn't have to install anything extra. Just initialized as GPT again.

I should note that I have the latest AMD RAID drivers, but not sure if that made a difference. Testing it out now before I mount it and retire an old drive.

I removed it from my docking station and plugged it directly into the A780 via SATA and immediately got the full 2.7Tb.
Exactly what I figured.

Even though my JMicron eSATA port "sees" all 3 TB at boot, w7's dive manager only sees the first 2TBs with the remainder as unformatted/unusable and maybe it is.....or maybe it isn't. :)

I just dunno and haven't played with it more.

The safe bet, as you found, is to just connect it to the CPU's chipset.

I do have a SATA to eSATA adaptor that will allow me to leave it in the external dock. :)

For those of you having trouble getting this to work with your system, it seems to work fine on my add-in SATA controller here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PX9BX2

You can probably find cheaper, but I needed this one for the eSATA ports and PCI connection.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I don't need to boot from this HD or use it in Windows, can I use an older motherboard? I am having trouble finding solid information on compatible controllers.

Cool!

Did you use the Hitachi "tool" on the drive thru this card?
I'm not really sure what you meant here, but it worked on my P35 chipset SATA controller when I first set it up (although it wasn't recognized as the full 3TB by the SATA BIOS, Windows 7 x64 saw it fine), and worked fine on the Sil3114 as soon as I plugged it in.

I know the controller card I linked is severely limited by the PCI bus, but considering all I store on the drive is TV shows, I'm not looking for speed.

but it worked on my P35 chipset SATA controller when I first set it up (although it wasn't recognized as the full 3TB by the SATA BIOS, Windows 7 x64 saw it fine), and worked fine on the Sil3114 as soon as I plugged it in.
Cool!

That's all I wanted to know. :)

Back