Votes: 20 10.6%
  • No!

Votes: 93 49.5%
  • Maybe if the games are good!

Votes: 52 27.7%
  • Too expensive to buy for my "kid"

Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters
I'll be playing some DS titles I missed on the 3DS. I used to have an old DS (as in first generation), but ended up getting rid of it. I was going to get another last year, but decided to wait for the 3DS. I keep seeing Golden Sun in the stores and wanting to play it though.

I may bite, I havent had a proper portable gaming system since an original gameboy. I like my netbook, but it's not the same as a proper portable gaming system.

It's entirely title contingent, if there's good launch titles I'll consider buying one.

People who say they own a DS and it doesnt interest them arent trying. there are games for EVERYONE. Just because you decided to not play yours, doesnt mean its the systems fault. Any kind of game you want, is on the DS.

The 3DS is NOT meant for kids. it says the 3D should not be used by people under 6. However, the slider should just let you turn it off. I havent played my DS lately. I get limited time to play games and sc2 has been taking the bulk of that.

People who say they own a DS and it doesnt interest them arent trying. there are games for EVERYONE. Just because you decided to not play yours, doesnt mean its the systems fault. Any kind of game you want, is on the DS.

The quality and production values just aren't there. I have maybe 25 DS games, and looking at them it's mostly just a bunch of RPGs and 2D platformers that could be done on the SNES. There's nothing to compare with God of War, Ridge Racer/Wipeout, Metal Gear, Ace Combat, etc. And if I feel like playing old 2D games, the PSP is again far superior. None of the DS RPGs are as good as Seiken Densetsu 3, and none of the action games are as good as AvP Arcade. Hell, half of the best DS games can be played on the PSP because they're just SNES ports. The amount of totally new AAA content put on the DS was very disappointing, with companies just trying to milk past successes.

I loved my DS, wish I never sold it. With that being said, I don't know that I will spend $250 on this as I haven't had my DS in over 2 years now and still haven't replaced it.

Like someone else mentioned, phone games are getting rather good now-a-days.

The quality and production values just aren't there. I have maybe 25 DS games, and looking at them it's mostly just a bunch of RPGs and 2D platformers that could be done on the SNES. There's nothing to compare with God of War, Ridge Racer/Wipeout, Metal Gear, Ace Combat, etc. And if I feel like playing old 2D games, the PSP is again far superior. None of the DS RPGs are as good as Seiken Densetsu 3, and none of the action games are as good as AvP Arcade. Hell, half of the best DS games can be played on the PSP because they're just SNES ports. The amount of totally new AAA content put on the DS was very disappointing, with companies just trying to milk past successes.

Quality wasnt there? So they suckered you 25 times?
Me and my 30+ DS games beg to differ, including the new Golden Sun, which is better than any console RPG Ive played in the past year.

I don't see your argument. At all.

US launch titles:

* Pilotwings Resort
* Nintendogs + Cats
* Steeldiver
* Dead or Alive
* Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
* Madden NFL
* Super Street Fighter IV 3D
* Asphalt 3D
* Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
* Ridge Racer 3D
* Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
* LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

As someone else said earlier, they're saying there should be 30 titles out by June.

None of these games look enticing, but I would really like to try the 3D.

I'm going to pass this time.

I really enjoyed my GBA while I was in college. I got a lot of use out of it playing for an hour here or there inbetween classes or before bed.

I got a DS lite, and while I have enjoyed some of the games I've gotten for it most of them were 2D games that could have been done on the GBA and used touch (if at all) only as a gimmick. I don't feel like I got ripped off, but my taste in games and what's available on Nintendo portables are diverging. Nowadays I tend to just play random (free) games on my phone here and there when I would have normally gone to get my DS/GBA.

Way too expensive and just another item that kids are going to get shot and stabbed over in the streets.

i won't get one, but I still don't get how it makes it 3d.

still looks like a DS to me, so maybe if flash cards work on one, then I might bite. but not at 250

Too much.
My android phone is really all I need if I want to game on a small screen with a portable device

Here is the same technology in the 3DS for $5. Fast forward to 1:27 to see the effect. (you will get the idea at least how it works.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8CHvX6WkbY

Now, why are you willing to spend $250 on a DS with this upgrade? Kind of like how the Wii was only a dual core gpu of the gamecube, only cost Nintendo $70 to manufacture,(Miyamoto himself wanted the WIi sold for under $100.) yet we got raped for $250 at release and for a couple of years. (And not to mention no HD support.)

Seriously, no offense to the Ninfanbois, this needs to go to the wayside like the Virtual Boy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

Oh and after reading Wiki, the 3DS is employing parallex tech that was used in the the POS VB.

JUST an FYI before you all go blow money on another nintendo gimmick that goes away or gets boring after 6 months. (wii) ;)

I can't believe fanboys like the above still exist... in 2011 no less.

You realize the Wii is in, by far, the most households this past generation than any other console - don't you? Only one to surpass it, was the DS. Which also made the PS2 look like it had crappy adoption. By definition, that makes both systems NOT a gimmick. So does the widespread adoption of their same technologies in the other companies' systems, on both fronts.

I can't believe fanboys like the above still exist... in 2011 no less.

You realize the Wii is in, by far, the most households this past generation than any other console - don't you? Only one to surpass it, was the DS. Which also made the PS2 look like it had crappy adoption. By definition, that makes both systems NOT a gimmick. So does the widespread adoption of their same technologies in the other companies' systems, on both fronts.

look at the software sales for the wii. Other than its few 1st party platformers, they are far below the other less adopted systems, so that makes it a gimmick. Everyone bought the gimmick, then never bought more software for it. DS however, definitely not a gimmick.

ill wait on the 3DS to come down in price because its not worth 250$ for the 3d 'gimmick'. Which is what it is.

Other than its few 1st party platformers, they are far below the other less adopted systems, so that makes it a gimmick.

What?
Are you just saying random stuff to somehow make sense, that doesnt, to make yourself feel smart? Random comments do not = fact, and you have no proof to back up your claim. Wii is still the highest selling console this gen, 'gimmick' is a word fanbois like to use because their favorite console isnt on top. I remember touch being a "gimmick" and yet 100 million DS's later....

spare me the BS and get back on topic.

BTW, that $5 "mod" someone posted above is stupid. Yeah, im gonna ruin my expensive monitor by gluing some film on it using tape and an exacto knife. Where do you guys find this shit, seriously?

What?
Are you just saying random stuff to somehow make sense, that doesnt, to make yourself feel smart? Random comments do not = fact, and you have no proof to back up your claim. Wii is still the highest selling console this gen, 'gimmick' is a word fanbois like to use because their favorite console isnt on top. I remember touch being a "gimmick" and yet 100 million DS's later....

spare me the BS and get back on topic.

BTW, that $5 "mod" someone posted above is stupid. Yeah, im gonna ruin my expensive monitor by gluing some film on it using tape and an exacto knife. Where do you guys find this shit, seriously?

talking about how software sales on the wii are abysmal. Save the 1st party platformers/titles. Makes perfect sense to me. Not random comments. shrug.

Hey, while we're talking about the 3DS, how is PS Move software selling? I bet the adoption is pretty horrible because it is a gimmick like the Wii *rolls eyes*

Sept 30 Earnings: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/28/nintendo_earnings/

"As reason for the lower all around performance, the company cited an appreciating yen. Hardware and software sales for the DS and Wii were also both down substantially"

Oct - December: http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83739/nintendo-reports-earnings-wiids-hw-lowered-wiids-sw-raised/

"Nintendo posted a loss of 2.011b Yen, although the September quarter was profitable. "

"Wii hardware was lowered from a projected 17.5m units to 16.0m units for the fiscal year."

Hey, while we're talking about the 3DS, how is PS Move software selling? I bet the adoption is pretty horrible because it is a gimmick like the Wii *rolls eyes*

uhh, it is. Kinect is blowing it out of the water.

All the titles for it seem like sequels of games I played the first 7 of and shovelware, as is typical for nintendo. Nothing intresting looking in 2d or 3d, even on a better console/PC.

Yea Nintendo seems like its a first party online company. I would only buy it to play zelda or something among those lines. I had the Gamecube which was a massive disaster and only played one game on it, Super Smash Bros. Melee. I have the wii and never touched it... Waste of money, I got the DS and bought only 4 games for it, all first party.

I wanted one...then the PSP2 happened :D

Yea the NGP has kinda killed my desire to own a 3DS launch day. I'm gonna wait til the NGP launches and see what it has to offer. Although I'm sure I'll be extremely tempted to get a 3DS by then.

My girlfriend wants a "DS" for her birthday, she's 26 lol. So i'm getting her a DSi not a 3DS, she doesn't like the idea of it and she suffers the same problem as me at the cinema with 3D, headaches! Not sure if it's the glasses or what, i know the 3DS is glasses free but nah, no 3D for us thanks.

I just got a DSi XL and I'm going to hold off on the 3DS for a little while. Certainly am interested, just want to enjoy my new toy for a while longer before I "move on up".

My girlfriend wants a "DS" for her birthday, she's 26 lol. So i'm getting her a DSi not a 3DS, she doesn't like the idea of it and she suffers the same problem as me at the cinema with 3D, headaches! Not sure if it's the glasses or what, i know the 3DS is glasses free but nah, no 3D for us thanks.

Even so the 3DS has beefed up hardware and will be able to play more advanced exclusive titles that the DSi can not play. I doubt I'll rush out and buy one though since I'm not much of a handheld gamer and I don't really care about making my game playing experience 3D.

Back