3D Television

Usure

n00b
I've held out for quite a while now and I'm still not 100% sure it's the right time to give in and get a 3D TV just yet.

What are you thoughts and suggestions?

I currently have a 52" Samsung LCD in our living room, a 42" Samsung LCD in our kids' playroom, and a 27" Samsung LCD in our bedroom.

3-D is on it's way out, but if you buy a upper line tv it has 3-D anyway only lower line ie. Walmart cheap tv don't
A lot of kids blu-ray's are 3-D so your kids might like it.

I'm not sure that 3D will ever die, but it does need to evolve into a glasses-less solution with at least 1080p per eye before it will become a must have tech.

For gaming All current 3D TVs use 1/2 res per eye @ 60Hz because HDMI 1.x doesnt have the bandwidth to support full res per eye @ 60Hz.
For movies, you can get full 1080p res per eye @30fps per eye (unless using a 1080p TV with polarised glasses).

Herein lies the quandary.
By far the easiest to view version uses polarised glasses.
TVs that use this method use alternate lines across the screen for each eye (in effect 1/2 resolution per eye).
So the top line would be say the left eye, 2nd line the right eye and so on.
These glasses also dont need batteries, weigh very little and are cheap.
For gaming at 60Hz this is the easiest to view on a TV, but for movies it is still 1/2 res.

There are some new 4K HDMI 2.0 TVs coming out that are 3D.
These should support full "1080p" per eye for gaming @ 60Hz and there will be some 4K TVs that use polarised glasses.
Sadly it is likely to cost a fair bit and you might have to wait a while.

I'm in the minority as I've been a fan of 3D for some time (3D Surround at home, Sony Playstation 3D TV at work), but I have yet to purchase a 3D TV at home.

The passive 3D situation has turned me off in that it does halve the resolution as Nenu pointed out. I was expecting to see inexpensive passive 3D 4K tv's by now (Why Seiki hasn't offered this I don't know) which would resolve the resolution issue for 1080p blu rays, but have yet to find one.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an active 3D LCD by Samsung. The glasses have significantly come down in price, and 3D active usually provides a better separation of image. Since I'm a htpc user, I'm looking at this no-frills model: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55FH6030-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BCGRYY6/ref=sr_1_1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the input, some great views on it and I think I share a little of everyone's take on 3D as a whole. I'll definitely look into that TV on Amazon as well, thank you everyone. If I take the plunge, I'll post back a picture of the TV if/when it happens ...

Back