3d animation software?

HardLiner

Gawd
I am thinking about getting into 3d animation as a hobby and I'm curious is there one better over the other and which is the most user friendly for a beginner Maya, Lightwave, 3dmax (most popular?), Softimage XSI, Cinema 4D, blender (free)..etc

friend at work likes Maya and Lightwave, his work looks pretty good, so i think they are probably going to be nice and user friendly(according to him) as well...

Well yes and no

to me i think

Easy = Bryce / Poser / Terragen
Better = all the ones you listed.

I think for the later, you do want to read up, find some good sites and guides and off you go.

I used bryce in highschool and i'm not sure it really qualifies as a conventional modeling software. It's focused on basic 3d shapes and terrain geometry, trying to model anything else takes some crafty work and trickery (although you can import 3ds models into it if you want to use it just for the terrains you can easily generate.)

Try Blemder, and see how you like it. I think XSI offers a 30 day trial, too (or they used to, anyway). I picked up 3dsmax some years ago when I was still in school, thinking I wanted to get into 3D as a hobby, too. Turns out, I'm not really all that creative. :p Each software comes with a lot of tutorials to get you started, but I also suggest checking out this site for more info on the subject:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

I personally like maya, xsi, maya have free trials and are kind of limited, blender is free. But after using pretty much everything out there I really prefer maya.

What is 3dmax like? I was thinking about ordering Mastering 3ds Max: The Fundamentals after seeing it on youtube... it is over 5 years old now, is it still worth it?

I was a Lightwave user about 18 years ago (wow, I feel old now) and started with my Amiga3000 with a Video Toaster 4000 card.
I upgraded to Lightwave 4 for the PC and the last version I used was 5.5.
Modeling is the hardest part of 3D animation and I didn't have the patience for that so I used pre-built models or models my co-workers made and just did scene layout.

What is 3dmax like? I was thinking about ordering Mastering 3ds Max: The Fundamentals after seeing it on youtube... it is over 5 years old now, is it still worth it?

Its good but to me as someone who uses maya on a weekly basis its kind of restrictive... its good dont get me wrong but maya you can do so much more. Now 3DS's UVing tools are amazing. Lightwave is good too but more menu/hotkey based as in very hard to pick up. Alot more sub menus, but as modeling software its awesome due to it not having as much code as maya. Maya beats all the other software packages in what it can do, from changing its rules to yourself to its bulk mass of code, even hidden features not yet released that if you know what your doing can unlock.

I use 3D Studio Max by hobby and by career. I started playing with it in high-school and loved it so much that I now make a living as a 3D generalist. I've also used Maya, XSI, Lightwave, and if you want to go way back: Z-Modeler.

3D Studio Max takes the cake by far. Here is why:

-I believe the interface and location of various tools is logical and concise. The way things are organized and grouped is pretty intuitive to me. Then again, it all just comes down to what you know.

-Because of that simple and straight forward interface, the learning curve is much shallower. It is very easy to do basic stuff right off the bat, where as it is more convoluted to do even the simplest of tasks in Maya.

-The software supplied tutorials and documentation is unbeatable. I taught myself the software through high-school using primarily the docs that came with the program.

-On a more technical level, there are workflow features that none of the other apps have. Two words: Modifier Stack.

-The ease and quickness of polygon modeling tools is top notch, especially in the newer versions. If it is 3D modeling which you want to do, DEFINITELY choose 3D Studio Max and definitely DO NOT choose Maya. Personally, I find modeling to be the most rewarding when you are creating something that you envisioned in your mind.

I could go on and on, but it would mostly about more specific technical aspects :)

The real question is, what do you want to do? Modeling? Character animation? Dynamics such as cloth and fluids? Particles?

If you are looking for out of the box, canned, preset type features, 3D Studio Max is probably not for you. It supplies the tools for you to create anything you want, but you will need to rely on plugins if don't want to start from scratch. Maya has a lot of presets and drag-n-drop style features that might be more to the liking of a very early level casual 3D artist.

5 years ago it would have been easy to say Maya beats all at character rigging and animation. That might still be true on a high-end feature film level, but Max's Character Animation Studio (CAT) lets you get a character rigged, walking, and gesturing with VERY minimal rigging & animation experience. I'd call it very much automatic in a lot of ways. So for the hobbyist, I'd say Max is your best bet for characters. At the same time though, it is flexible and scalable enough to be the go-to tool for professional level animation as well.

Animation in general is a breeze in Max. The concept of keyframe animation is pretty much the same throughout, and I admit Maya has a great curve editor, but I'd call Max's animation tools fool-proof compared to that of Maya's. Max has an Auto Key feature that makes animating everything in your scene (objects, attributes, etc.) very quick and dirty.

If you are after crazy particle systems and epic dynamic simulations, XSI might be worth a look. The learning curve of that may be a bit steeper though, and I for one have found even the basics of its interface to be a bit peculiar.

If you have just a general curiosity about the entire world of 3D, i'd say 3D Studio Max is your best bet. It has all the tools you need to let your imagination run wild, and when (if) you hit a wall with something , there are a PLETHORA of awesome plugins that will extend your abilities even further. The software often feels very Open Source because of the amount of customization and plugins that are available. It is more flexible than any of the others I believe.

Wow sorry for writing so much. Guess I am just passionate :) toddfx.com is my 3D artwork site, if you're interested.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, all the major packages will be more than feature-rich enough for you to get started; the more important factor is how much you're willing and able to put in. For that reason, I'd recommend starting with Blender - it's free. Spend a few weeks/months working through tutorials, etc., and after that if you feel you need a new piece of software, you'll already have a good knowledge of fundamentals.

I use Maya for all my game stuff and Lightwave for rendered things and product shots, I suppose I could do it all in Maya, but with Lightwave I don't have to think much and I usually have no time. Maya and 3DS Max (Autodesk), both have free versions. Go to the site and sign up. You get your lic key in an email. If it's for hobby you're fine, but paid work is a no-no.

You can always get Blender, it's free as was mentioned, has a ton of tools and has improved a ton in the last year and a half. Seriously, any app will be fine, focus on the fundamentals and build up.

Back