390X coming soon few weeks

That youtube video...people need to read the comments before posting here

The game wasn't glitching like that. It was the recording software he was using producing the rainbow effects everytime the game stuttered

On his screen there were no spastic visuals like in the video.

20nm is not appropriate for large die GPU.

They will move right to 16nm finfet.

That youtube video...people need to read the comments before posting here

The game wasn't glitching like that. It was the recording software he was using producing the rainbow effects everytime the game stuttered

On his screen there were no spastic visuals like in the video.

Every rainbow color was where the game was stuttering though. Well, according to him.

I realize wccftech is questionable, but they posted this yesterday which included a link here.

I wonder if the 384-bit bus is accurate, considering previous "leaks" they had posted. We can hope for 6GB/8GB 380/390, but it could just be 3GB/4GB again like the 280/290 because of what nVidia put out.

I realize wccftech is questionable, but they posted this yesterday which included a link here.

I wonder if the 384-bit bus is accurate, considering previous "leaks" they had posted. We can hope for 6GB/8GB 380/390, but it could just be 3GB/4GB again like the 280/290 because of what nVidia put out.

Yeah I had to wait a long while after the 290's released to get my 8GB variants. Huge PITA. If they don't start with at least 6 this go around, I will be really surprised and annoyed. That being said, I think we can all assume the new Titan will have 6 or better which is fine with me, if that launches first I'll probably jump on it. I have enjoyed my 290X's in the short period that I have had them thus far, but the heat issue bothers me and I want them out of my case come summer.

glofo has the same issue.

They have a much more efficient 28nm process than TSMC, but they still cant get 20nm up. Its just too expensive for large die Asics.

likely the only 20nm products will be respins of the xbox one and ps4 chips to reduce power consumption/heat.

20nm process is just a fail really, it hasn't been able to mature to a point to make it viable for any of the larger die products. Thus it will mostly be skipped in favor of 16nm finfets, or the 14nm samsung node.

I could care less if AMD released a their next flagship with 4gb of vram. To me that is plenty. Even on my 3 screen setup and MSAA, i've yet to come close to maxing the vram.

4gb is enough, you don't really have the gpu horsepower to really take advantage of having more. The numbers are out there just search for AMD 290x 4gb vs 8gb crossfire review. Such as this one for example @4k
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290x-vapor-x-8gb-cf-review/

yes the 8gb cards show maybe a 2-3% performance increase overall, but its not really leading to a better game play experience. 4gb cards are the sweet spot right now in terms of gpu horsepower and amount of vram they can take advantage of.

While I get the hype about the new cards. I don't see myself changing gpu's for awhile. running at 5760x1080. I've been tempted to get a 4k monitor, but they are just not "There" yet.

I don't care what node its on as long as it is a solid increase over the 290. The 980 isn't enough to justify dropping 600 bucks to replace my 290.

I could care less if AMD released a their next flagship with 4gb of vram. To me that is plenty. Even on my 3 screen setup and MSAA, i've yet to come close to maxing the vram.

4gb is enough, you don't really have the gpu horsepower to really take advantage of having more. The numbers are out there just search for AMD 290x 4gb vs 8gb crossfire review. Such as this one for example @4k
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290x-vapor-x-8gb-cf-review/

While I get the hype about the new cards. I don't see myself changing gpu's for awhile. running at 5760x1080. I've been tempted to get a 4k monitor, but they are just not "There" yet.

Please define what you mean by 'not there' yet. I am playing games on my LG 4096x2160 AH-IPS monitor and the image quality is truely spectacular. I would never go back to anything lower than 4k.

Also msi AB is reporting 3.6GB used on DAI and apparantly shadows of mordor uses over 5GB at 1440p

likely the only 20nm products will be respins of the xbox one and ps4 chips to reduce power consumption/heat.

20nm process is just a fail really, it hasn't been able to mature to a point to make it viable for any of the larger die products. Thus it will mostly be skipped in favor of 16nm finfets, or the 14nm samsung node.

yes the 8gb cards show maybe a 2-3% performance increase overall, but its not really leading to a better game play experience. 4gb cards are the sweet spot right now in terms of gpu horsepower and amount of vram they can take advantage of.

I don't think it's about performance increase in the 4gb vs 8gb realm. What prompted me to go to 8gb was Shadow of Mordor. When it was pushing the VRAM cap and switched over to pagefile for texture loading, you could tell a difference. Of course this is only going to happen in higher resolutions, but it is a REAL thing.

"VRAM bottleneck is seen when system RAM usage as well as the pagefile start spiking when at or near the graphic card’s VRAM limitation. Using MSI Afterburner OSD or an equivalent program you can see the VRAM, system memory as well as pagefile resources. You should feel a slight stutter when the latter start increasing."

I don't care what node its on as long as it is a solid increase over the 290. The 980 isn't enough to justify dropping 600 bucks to replace my 290.

Quite right. Unless you had older generations such as amd 79xx or nvidia 6xx cards - less so if you were only looking for discounted bargain price drops as 780's and 290's are now.

Essentially, from a performance standpoint, no reason for NV7xx or AMD290 owners to purchase the NV9xx series unless heat or new hardware itch was affecting you.

I had a 680 sli setup for 1600p before my 980's. 7970's before that. I wont expect to make a new purchase until 4K performance is at least feasible @ >60fps at max with current games - and by that time, it'll be time to build a new rig. For me, it was a simple gaming rig EOL decision. Doesn't make much sense at the moment for 2nd gen Kepler & GCN 1.1 owners.

Last edited:
Yeah I had to wait a long while after the 290's released to get my 8GB variants. Huge PITA. If they don't start with at least 6 this go around, I will be really surprised and annoyed. That being said, I think we can all assume the new Titan will have 6 or better which is fine with me, if that launches first I'll probably jump on it. I have enjoyed my 290X's in the short period that I have had them thus far, but the heat issue bothers me and I want them out of my case come summer.

I'm just going to put this out there, those pictures in the links are so dreadfully photoshop'd that I doubt the legitimacy of anything in the page.

The 8gig Vapor-X has heat issues?

I'm really excited what AMD has to offer this round, even if its on 28nm I do hope they manage to lower the TDP on their cards, if NVIDIA can do it, surely AMD can as well.

They're based on the Hawaii architecture, which puts out a lot of heat. Common misconception but just because you are cooling the video card doesn't mean that heat disappears, it's just dissipated into the environment by the cooler. So when you have a card putting of 300w of heat, even with the Vapor-X cooler keeping the GPU itself at a reasonable temperature, that heat is still being pushed out into the room around you. I think that's what they meant.

Put 2 side by side in a mid tower and yeah. They both run between 85-90c at load. Better than most when it comes to the 290X but this is as good as it gets on air.

Put 2 side by side in a mid tower and yeah. They both run between 85-90c at load. Better than most when it comes to the 290X but this is as good as it gets on air.

Not that far off my dual 980s which reach 75-80 under prolonged load.

They're based on the Hawaii architecture, which puts out a lot of heat. Common misconception but just because you are cooling the video card doesn't mean that heat disappears, it's just dissipated into the environment by the cooler. So when you have a card putting of 300w of heat, even with the Vapor-X cooler keeping the GPU itself at a reasonable temperature, that heat is still being pushed out into the room around you. I think that's what they meant.

So much of this.

This misconception is also very common in watercooling as well. I always cringe when I hear people say "my rig will finally stop being a spaceheater awesome!!!".

Yes the components run at much lower temps, but that heat has gotta go somewhere. You can't bend the laws of thermodynamics and magically make energy disappear. Well I suppose if you found a way to make productive use of the thermal energy (thermoelectric generator anyone?) then yes you could keep your room cooler, but that's only because you transformed the thermal energy into a different kind of energy, not that it just magically dissipated.

Well technically keeping a GPU/CPU cooler, especially with highend watercooling, will very slightly decrease the power consumption.

But yes, it is hilarious when people make that claim.
TDP = Thermal Design Power = The amount of heat the cooling system is designed to cope with, in watts.

As an extreme example: A card can consume 800w of power, and have a 100w TDP. That just means it's INCREDIBLY efficient, and is using 700w to do actual work and only converting 100w into waste heat.

Any way OP can change the title of this thread now that we know 390x is a long way off?

The more recent sources are now saying Q2 around Computex on June 2:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/79653-amd-radeon-r9-380x-expected-launched-q2-2015/

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42978...ortedly-launch-q2-4gb-next-gen-ram/index.html

http://wccftech.com/amds-fiji-xt-gpu-monolithic-die-surface-area-550mm2-claims-italian-report/

Even the pre-release retailer pages are saying Q2: http://www.hispazone.com/Noticia/79...das-las-nuevas-R9-390x-R9-380X-y-R9-370X.html

The earlier reports were basing their February release assumption around shipping details for the 380x, but these shipments were just the logic boards/PCBs for assembly, it seems.

The earlier reports were basing their February release assumption around shipping details for the 380x, but these shipments were just the logic boards/PCBs for assembly, it seems.

Some of the early reports were going off tape-out dates for the ASIC, which is why I mentioned a Q1 release about 5 months ago. I clarified it slightly a bit later.
Fiji just seems to have taped out somewhat recently, so I expect Q1 '15 is the timeframe.

The earliest time frame would be sometime in Q1, likely after CNY.

Edit- Also not many past GPUs have actually been announced/launched at an industry event since the news gets mixed in with everything else. They typically do their own launch event.
June seems extremely conservative unless there is other motivation, like syncing the launch with another product.

Last edited:
Top end products. A Halo product is either the best of the best or the second best.

I would think they would like to release at the same time as Adaptive-sync monitors. Maybe just the 380X.

Top end products. A Halo product is either the best of the best or the second best.

Ah yes, never heard it called that before.

With all this 3.5gb 970 BS I think I will get a 380x so I can actually have 4gb of working ram, first time I have had an nvidia card in about 7 years and first it was the coil whine, then the HDMI RGB problem and now I only have 3.5gb RAM... other than that it is good but with the freesync costing not a lot and gsync being MASSIVE RIP OFF.. I will probably go back to AMD next time... The power consumption on them is not looking good at 300w tdp though, but if they are faster and priced lower than a 980 then goodbye 970 and back to AMD.

Asus 1440p freesync 120hz + 380x

Some of the early reports were going off tape-out dates for the ASIC, which is why I mentioned a Q1 release about 5 months ago. I clarified it slightly a bit later.

Not jumping on you in particular ;) I was really pulling for a February launch as well (and this timing would have been perfect for AMD). February would have been an early birthday for me, but all things point to June now so I'm looking at other options.

My mining leftover 280x CF setup will have to do until this summer it looks like. Can't complain really as they've been running like champs, just had an itch for an upgrade.

Back