3870's with different bios revs

pingjockey

Limp Gawd
I have recently installed two HD 3780 Sapphire cards (single slot blue cards) for crossfire on an intel motherboard. One of the cards fan spins at a nice quite level running at about 42c without a load. The other card seems to make a hell of a lot of noise but runs slightly cooler. One of the cards runs bios rev 10.077 while the other one runs 10.078. The higher rev bios runs the fan more often. Should this be something to be worried about? Should I try to make the bios match between the 2 cards?

Pingjockey

The bios' really do not have to match. If you can put up with the louder card then its all fine. I find my 3870s are quiet until about 65% fan speed. If you wanted to both the bios the same, you could probably contact sapphire for the bios files and just flash it yourself, or look around online as sometimes people post the bios files for these reasons. The other possiblity is make your own for a mix in between the two fan settings. However, idling at 42C is not all that bad, if the load temps are decent (under 80C).

I heard rumors about sapphire having a bios that sets the fan speed at 80%. You can tone that down by getting rivatuner and adjusting the fan speed with that program.

Or you can use use atitool, dump bios from the card you like best and flash the other card with it. Do a search on ati vid cards bios flashing. By the way, how are these cards working for you in crossfire?

Back