37" westinghouse or 42" phillips

AZBOOSTIN

Gawd
Cant decide what to use a pc monitor 37" westinghouse or 42" phillips

westinghosue says 1000:1 contrast and phillips says 29,000:1 ?? why so big of difference....

will the larger screen look worse since it is stretching out the 1900 res?

I have a samsung 37" tv currently being used as a monitor. I would not recommend it. It's just too big with too low of a res (1080p) for the size. I have to move my head around constantly just to look at different parts of the screen and it makes me look like i have tourettes. If you can only choose between the 2, just get the 37". It'll be more sharp at least.

Westinghouse uses a much older panel... and is of much lower quality for watching movies imo.

But for games and as a computer monitor I think it's perfect. It doesn't lag enough to be noticable and looks sharp as hell with an HDMI/DVI input at 1920 x 1080...

I just wouldn't recommend it for a home theatre...

I have the common 37" 1080P Westinghouse (link) and couldn't be happier. I've used both VGA (my old PC) and DVI (new pc) and PC looks perfect over both of those. Gaming is excellent and I never notice any ghosting or lag. As a TV it's good (but not great), though I'm overall very happy with HD (SD not so much).

I also have one of the new 52" 1080P 120Hz Philips TVs (link) and it really doesn't look great with my PC. Even in PC mode there are significant jaggies. It's definitely acceptable, but I prefer the Westinghouse by far for PC use. I use DVI to HDMI on the Philips because it doesn't have VGA/DVI. I think the connector might be the reason it looks worse, though I can't say for sure. HDTV looks phenomenal on the Philips though, so for TV/movies its the better choice by far.

That's my experience, hope that helps a little.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back