34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Hey guys, I have a question about this display and I hope someone has a knowledgeable answer:

Would a mini displayport source directly connected to the Thunderbolt port work?
Obviously, I'm not expecting it to work like a pure Thunderbolt connection to support daisy-chaining or highspeed bus, but would it work as a display?

Anyone care to try?

Thanks!

I think so, and bought it on that understanding. I'm expecting delivery of the LG UM95 later this week and will be trying to use it with a DVI to mini-DP adaptor. Certainly hope it works and will find out for sure shortly.

What is everyone powering these Monitors with? I'm assuming mostly 970/980 and sli setups, but is anyone using any lower model single cards with any success?

Going to be using a 7950 with mine. Going from three monitors should help a lot with performance since I am losing about 1 megapixels. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have cf 290x on mine and am getting 88fps in shadow of mordor native res ultra settings. Pretty decent. I think sli should be sufficient.

tried the SLI 970 today and wasn't happy with the results at 1920x1200
still have my first 65% asic msi 970 which I need to return tomorrow - I wasn't happy with it and got another one with 75% which clocks a lot better so I am keeping that one

anyway the results I got were really disappointing so it doesn't make sense to have 2 with my cpu, didn't think the bottleneck would be that big with i5-2500K @ 4.4GHz (clocked down a bit due to some stability issues lately)

unigine valley
stock (1306/1750) - single 3100 sli 4500
oced (1400/1800) - single 3200 sli 4550
oced (1500/1900) - single 3400

in SLI the upper card gets 10 hotter and gets to 75 at 1600rpm (only 1 free slot between them)

in Metro LL benchmark I got single 75 sli 89
in Watchdogs the SLI is about constant 10fps worse with a lot bigger fps drops compared to single

OCing doesn't seem to make much difference in SLI since I am already cpu bottlenecked with stock clocks in sli

couldn't test 3dmark, getting some dx error after first test IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState failed on both 344.48 and 344.60
so much for the nvidia "better drivers" - been an ati guy for the last couple of years (2900xt, 4870, 6950/6970, r9 290 to name the most recent), my last nvidia was 16MB Riva TNT ;o]
(actually I have a passive 7300GT is my non gaming rig and also have passive Asus DirectCU 640GT that I bough as a backup/hybrid physx card which is awesome since it has 95% asic and will not go over 70 degrees bench while passive and stock TIM)

don't want to spend another 2k on cpu upgrade, the monitor with stand and second card are already almost 2k and I want to upgrade my audio setup which will be another 3k so it seems I am sticking with 1920x1200 for a while ;o[

few month ago I got a "used" never out of the box 24" IPS HP ZR24w with 0 hours use according to osd for 150usd to replace my old 1920x1200 24" TN so I don't really need a new LCD but it was finally a panel that I was interested in and I really wanted it but don't want to cough up 4k for the LCD upgrade as it will require major upgrade

Last edited:
The cycling sleep issue is a common issue. I also had the issue before. I have tried numerous other potential solutions with regards to upgrading to CCC 14.9 drivers. Nothing fixes it. I'm using 290x cards. I upgraded my monitor to a 34UC97 and the sleep issues never showed up again. This leads me to believe it's on LG's side to fix.

My hopes is that LG releases some kind of firmware to fix this.

What is everyone powering these Monitors with? I'm assuming mostly 970/980 and sli setups, but is anyone using any lower model single cards with any success?

I used a slightly overclocked 7950 without any problems playing CSGO. My card is also watercooled.

Prior to my 970 and 780 Ti I was using a GTX 670 FTW. It did an admirable job but I was concerned about the demands of future titles.

Have you tried making a custom resolution @60Hz with your card? Might work.

I've had all the same issues you're describing with my old GTX760 via DP, after switching to a 970 it actually got worse - hello "sleep-loop" (put PC to sleep and the screen just goes on-off-on-off indefinitely) and often the display would make the entire PC freeze when coming out of sleep for a couple of minutes.

Haven't seen any of those issues yet via HDMI, though.

not really sure how that would work (not accusing you, just makes no logical sense to me), but it's worth a try

I forget to re-enable SLi sometimes on each driver update, and I'm surprised to see a single Titan (original, not black) runs BF4 ultra with no AA at around ~65fps (right at the borderline where you could add a bit of AA before going below 60fps on some maps). This resolution isn't really as hard to drive as many people make it out to be

Dell U3415W coming Nov. 7 in China..

tiTOWT6.jpg

More pictures & specs at Chiphell..

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-1167750-1-1.html

Price is ¥9,999 CNY (~$1635 USD)

^ gulp...

I predict the US price will be ~$1199, which would be $100 less than the UC97.

Just for reference, the Dell U2713H is ¥7300 CNY in China (~$1200 USD converted), while the same monitor sells for only $850 in the US right now (~30% less). If the U3415W is ¥9,999 CNY (~$1635 USD converted), then 30% less would be ~$1150.

And.. add in the eventual 20% off Dell monitors coupon (like they did last week), and you'll see a curved 34" for under $1000.

Personally, I'd only be interested if they started at $999, and then did a 20% off deal to bring it to a somewhat "sane" $800 (which still seems too high for a consumer-grade monitor, imo) :p

The cycling sleep issue is a common issue. I also had the issue before. I have tried numerous other potential solutions with regards to upgrading to CCC 14.9 drivers. Nothing fixes it. I'm using 290x cards. I upgraded my monitor to a 34UC97 and the sleep issues never showed up again. This leads me to believe it's on LG's side to fix.

My hopes is that LG releases some kind of firmware to fix this.

what sleep issue are you guys having again? I dont seem to have any with mine? running 290x CF here.

what sleep issue are you guys having again? I dont seem to have any with mine? running 290x CF here.

Basically, the screen comes up with a message that it's going to sleep and then it turns off. It then comes back up after a few seconds and then keeps doing the same thing over. The screen never turns off for more than 1-2 seconds. Maybe it's something else. I have no idea. I'm using a trifire 290x setup.

I have still yet to have the sleep issue also. I have an April revision. I also never had all the bleed issues that a lot of people had, although I might have just got lucky with my panel. It may be certain build dates that have the sleep issues. Running SLI 780 Ti's.

Driving a UM65 (2560x1080) w/ a 6870, and it's barely towing the line. Took a 30% hit on frames across the board moving from 1080. (Elite Dangerous, TF2, Diablo 3)

Still waiting for the MSI or Asus 970s to come in stock @ Amazon.

The sleep issue might be tied to a revision of the monitor. I didn't check but a few people on this forum had the same issue.

So I'm having LG ship me out an RMA replacement to see if it fixes my green lines issue with this display. Has anyone else gotten an RMA from LG? What is the date/revision on the monitors they are sending?

Basically, the screen comes up with a message that it's going to sleep and then it turns off. It then comes back up after a few seconds and then keeps doing the same thing over. The screen never turns off for more than 1-2 seconds. Maybe it's something else. I have no idea. I'm using a trifire 290x setup.

I have the same issue with an EVGA 980 SC, so it's not just an AMD thing. Wish they would have stuck HDMI 2.0 on this thing...

I have the same issue with an EVGA 980 SC, so it's not just an AMD thing. Wish they would have stuck HDMI 2.0 on this thing...

It does 60 Hz over HDMI with a 980, just create a custom res in the NVCP. That's how I'm running it now, no issues. I didn't have the sleep bug but with DP when I turned the monitor off and back on for some reason all my windows would get resized as if to fit a really low resolution, this doesn't happen over HDMI.

I just read this...then decided to try it.

It worked perfectly...Thank you poster and LG for having some forward thinking...have a feeling all the 970/980 crowd are going to be switching from DP 1.2 to HDMI.

Have to test this a bit now.

It does 60 Hz over HDMI with a 980, just create a custom res in the NVCP. That's how I'm running it now, no issues. I didn't have the sleep bug but with DP when I turned the monitor off and back on for some reason all my windows would get resized as if to fit a really low resolution, this doesn't happen over HDMI.

^ Pretty sure DP will still be the only connection to support 10bit but that's pretty much meaningless for the average Joe.

What I'm curious about is if anyone tried a mini-DP (or DP) to Thunderbolt connection. Please someone try, and see if it works and if this sleep / rearrange windows issue is gone that way...

Can someone make a EDID override so that the monitor will operate at 60hz through HDMI by default?

DSR doesn't work with custom resolutions and I really want to play some of my games @ 6880x2880 60hz.

It also does 61 hz just fine for me so far. :D

Hopefully i won't see any issues when I go sli

Hey guys, I have a question about this display and I hope someone has a knowledgeable answer:

Would a mini displayport source directly connected to the Thunderbolt port work?
Obviously, I'm not expecting it to work like a pure Thunderbolt connection to support daisy-chaining or highspeed bus, but would it work as a display?

Anyone care to try?

Thanks!

There has never been a definitive answer on this.

There has never been a definitive answer on this.

In theory this should work, as display port and thunderbolt use the same port. I have used a thunderbolt port on a macbook and connected a mini display port cable to a monitor without issue.

Stand looks pretty nice. Almost looks like the curve isn't as much of a curve as the LG, but just might be the pic.

say what you want about Dell's displays - they always put people to shame with their stands

Found some pictures of the Dell...Guess there was a Dell showcase in Austin the 4th-6th...and it was there. Hmm. Weird not much else I could find on it. I wish I would have known it was going to be there, and I would have sent my friend to go get some info on it.

What else did you want to know about it? I posted a link to Chiphell showing all the official specs for the U3415W in this thread a couple of days ago (and it's VESA 100x100)..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041211368&postcount=3131

Just picked this up as my new daily monitor. It's a very nice monitor and to be honest my first though was "I've made a very large... and wide... mistake." When you open up firefox or facebook the first time on this thing. It is LAUGHABLE how large it is.

I bought this as a productivity monitor with good IQ, build and polish, and for that, it does not disappoint. I think of it this way, as two appreciably large size displays together. With a 27, working in side by side mode it's kind of nice, but you're still not feeling like you really have no enough room or pixels to multi task. Here that isn't the case.

I have a 27" LED IPS Korean monitor (crossover 27Q) next to it and I have a Seiki 39 waiting to be mounted. I originally thought I would want\need 3 monitors to reach my productivity peak.

It is clear to me after putting this monitor into the mix, there is no need for a 3rd monitor. With 2 virtual desktops on the 39 and my main monitor displaying the grunt of two perfectly fine, I will essentially have the working space of 6 monitors without switching, and another 4 at the push of a button.

I bought the 39 mainly to be able to keep "communications" on a dedicated screen. IM, email, tasks etc. I'll still do that, but I'll keep a virtual desktop for when I need a shitload of pixels and space to work with.

The LG really is a game changer. I can't see myself missing the vertical resolution to be honest. It's the right width and height, the right amount of pixels. I just feel like I bought the last great monitor you'll really need for a daily. Until they come out with this with 144hz and Gysnc ;)

Will update about the 39 after I find a suitable way to mount it above this monitor. Don't know what I'm going to do with my crossover. At this point. Never thought I'd say I have enough monitors.

Also reading back a couple pages there might be some interest in GFX cards.

I'm running a GTX660. I've got the LG on DP and the Korean on DVI. I will be connecting the 39 to HDMI. Nvidia has some really nice support info on this stuff for each card on their webpage. This was one of the more challenging parts for me to research and there is a TON of misinformation out there.

You can drive a TON of display with a GTX660. You just have to use the right connections. Most of the problems I see are people who are not putting input capability into their calculations of what they're buying. Fuck using adapters, plan around what you're running. Either that means get a new card or buy monitors that fit into its fold.

What else did you want to know about it? I posted a link to Chiphell showing all the official specs for the U3415W in this thread a couple of days ago (and it's VESA 100x100)..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041211368&postcount=3131

Does the dell come with any software like the lg to split everything?
Did they have any idea on price/ETA for the US?
How does the monitor look in person?
Does the stand have adjustable tension?

Does the dell come with any software like the lg to split everything?

The link I posted to the specs at Chiphell states that the U3415W uses Dell Display Manager software, which includes a feature called "Easy Arrange" that allows for custom window layouts. No idea if it's exactly like LG's Screen Split software, but it looks similar. You can read more about DDM here (LINK).

Did they have any idea on price/ETA for the US?
I wasn't at their Austin event, so no idea. Since they're not even providing the model or specs, I highly doubt they were allowed to discuss pricing and ETA (the guys on the Dell forum weren't allowed to talk about it). Last official ETA was November for China, and December worldwide. The picture I posted last week showing the U3415W on Dell's US product page for the Alienware 13 was recently changed to "coming soon".

If I was a gambling man, I'd wager on an early Dec release for the US (before holiday shopping is over) and a price of $1199 or less (my reasoning for that can be found here). Could be way wrong, though.

How does the monitor look in person?
No idea, I wasn't there either.

Does the stand have adjustable tension?
I'm pretty sure the adjustable arm-style stand shown in the pictures you posted is the Dell MSA14 stand, and is not included with the U3415W. You can read about the MSA14 here (LINK).. the only way to adjust its tension is to use the included allen wrench to tighten or loosen the screws at each arm joint. The stand included with the U3415W can be seen here (LINK), and only has height, tilt, and swivel adjustment.

;)

few cherries on top of the cake.

. 5k 21:9
. 40" - 42"
. 120hz
. G-sync
. Curved
. Some proper black levels with no clouding at all. ( So some sort of VA panel with a fast response and no color shift)
. HDMi 2.0 x 2
. DP1.3
. *10bit if possible

I know thats a lot of cherries but we have all that technology now its just putting it into one monitor that’s needed the UM95 has most of those already. The last monitor id ever need ( eyes not getting better as i get older ) until VR takes off at 4k.

Last edited:
I have late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina. I own a 34um95 which is hooked up via thunderbolt. I like the KVM feature a lot as I use the keyboard, mouse, and USB headphones on the macbook and then on my Desktop switching inputs.

Question 1. I want to buy a second ultra wide 34" monitor. Does anyone know if the MacBook will support two 34" monitors via thunderbolt simultaneously? (Each monitor plugged into a different thunderbolt port on the laptop)

Question 2. I own the flat monitor and the the curved model is out. Does anyone have both with a picture of them side by side comparing them. I'm not sure if I should buy the curved and have two different models. I'm worried that it would look weird and maybe I should save the $300.00 and get two of the same, if the laptop will even support both at the same time.

I would get another of the same; I think that frequently looking back and forth between a flat and curved monitor would be really odd.

Back