32-Bit Vista

shadowsz14

Weaksauce
Does the Vista at Newegg include the 64-Bit edition? I thought that you could choose, other places say that it will be 32-Bit and 64 in the same package (?)

Is there a performance difference between 32 and 64? Or just more RAM?

As far as I know the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are exclusive, meaning you must obtain them separately.

The difference is CPU utilization. If you have a 64-bit CPU, you'd ideally want a 64-bit Vista.

Actually, I believe 64 and 32 bit discs come with each of the Vista versions save for the update ones.

I was surprised to read that the CPU utilization has anything to do with it. I don't think that's accurate at all.

The truth is that a 64bit application is executed with a bigger data pipeline (64 bits) and *can* in theory be more efficient and therefore faster. However, that really only applies to applications that are

a) compiled with 64 bit

b) actually USE the bigger pipeline

c) makes use of the bigger pipeline at the same time as using the increased address space in the 64 bit OS.

To make this a little clearer: If my app uses 30 pipes and i compile it for 64bit, then it will still only use 30 pipes. Meaning you can now call it a 64bit application but it is not any faster than the 32 bit compile. 64bit doesn't mean twice as fast or half the processor utilization. 64bit only means that you have a 64bit data execution pipeline AVAILABLE. Now that's great. Just as SATA2 is great since you have a theoretical limit of ten times of what SATA1 had. Not that it makes any difference since no hdd even uses close to sata1 speeds. There are exceptions (raptor in raid 0 for example, that exceed the speed and then SATA2 is great; just like there are exceptions with 64bit apps where you can actually see a benefit), but they are really really seldom.

Really, all those people shouting 64bit 64bit 64bit don't even know why they're shouting it. It's a bigger number and people tend to like bigger numbers.

Unfortunately, this is gray theory and in practice there is very little performance difference between the 32bit and the 64bit operating system speeds. Some applications are a little faster but they are really really sparse. As a matter of fact, the 64bit OS right now is a lot harder to setup correctly because there is STILL a big driver support issue for 64bit OS.

I was surprised to read that the CPU utilization has anything to do with it. I don't think that's accurate at all.

The truth is that a 64bit application is executed with a bigger data pipeline (64 bits) and *can* in theory be more efficient and therefore faster. However, that really only applies to applications that are

a) compiled with 64 bit

b) actually USE the bigger pipeline

c) makes use of the bigger pipeline at the same time as using the increased address space in the 64 bit OS.

Unfortunately, this is gray theory and in practice there is very little performance difference between the 32bit and the 64bit operating system speeds. Some applications are a little faster but they are really really sparse. As a matter of fact, the 64bit OS right now is a lot harder to setup correctly because there is STILL a big driver support issue for 64bit OS.

You're right, 64-bit hasn't begun to stretch it's legs yet. But when it does, look out ;)

also, I can almost guarantee you that all the versions of Vista except the upgrades versions come with both 32 and 64 bit. Search the forum if you don't believe me.

if i upgrade from 32 to 64, i assume that i will need to wipe and reinstall right? no 'upgrade'?

I'm assuming we are talking about the retail version and not the OEM versions. I was under impression that Retail has both but the OEM versions only have 32bit or 64bit, not both.

Also if you do buy the retail version that has 32/64bit and you install the 32bit now you will need another key to install the 64bit later on down the road. Am I wrong about that?

Geezus, does no one ever read other threads?

There is only ONE release of Vista: it's commonly referred to as the RTM build/release/whatever.

The "Retail" boxed DVDs and the "OEM" unboxed system builder DVDs - the ones that Newegg and other retailers are selling - are exactly the same code from start to finish, every bit is the same. The only time an OEM DVD will differ from the Retail/system builder OEM DVDs is when a real OEM like Dell, Gateway, HP, etc takes the basic OEM disc and modifies the content to ensure it only installs on their hardware.

The key is where all the differences lie this time around. In the past, there was a file called OEMBIOS.BIN on the XP CDs that would tie a disc to a specific piece of hardware and BIOS - Dell to Dell, HP to HP, etc. That's all changed with Vista, and that's not how it works anymore.

The COA sticker and the COA identifiers tie the installation to specific hardware - meaning Dell to Dell, HP to HP, etc. It's far more efficient now because of this new method and it saves a lot of hassles too.

There is no single DVD out there from Microsoft that has both versions - 32 bit and 64 bit - of Vista, period. There is a hack job floating around that I can't go into details about; suffice to say, the 32 bit installation files and the 64 bit installation files cannot fit on one single layer DVD. It would require a dual layer DVD to fit all that code for both versions, and Microsoft isn't ponying up the money to produce dual layer DVDs for Vista distribution.

Vista Ultimate is the only edition you can buy that will have both the 32 bit installer DVD and the 64 bit installer DVD in the retail box. All other the other editions come in either 32 bit versions or 64 bit versions, but not both at the same time.

The mixup happens when people keep confusing versions with releases and releases with editions.

Versions = 32 bit and 64 bit

Editions = Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate

Releases = Retail and OEM

That's how it breaks down, more or less.

Also - not sure about OEM but on the retail versions ONLY Ultimate includes both 32bit and 64bit versions. There is not retail standalone 64 bit versions, if you buy any retail version other than Ultimate you will need to order the 64 bit version from Microsoft from the link below if you want the 64 bit version.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Back