$300. Need video card, mobo, W7.

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
Alright, I built my fiancee a system that consists of an Intel D641RQ motherboard, an Nvidia GeForce 9500GT, and Vista Business x64. I'm looking to upgrade those 3 components.

I'm looking to spend $100 on a motherboard, $100 on a video card, and $100 on Windows 7.

Can you guys link me to the BEST video card that can be had for $100, the best mobo that can be had for $100, and the cheapest place to get Windows 7 (can be any version). I have an Intel Pentium E5200, so the motherboard has to be compatible with that processor. Also has to be compatible with PC2-5300 RAM and have at least 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.

Those components don't strictly have to be $100 each or anything. Just as long as the combination comes out to $300 (firm), then it's all good.

Your help and links would be very much appreciated, thank you :)

I use it as a second hand machine for photo editing (images larger than 5k by 3k) when my main system is rendering, so the upgrade is more for me than anything else. I don't want an OEM machine with no video card for around $500 lol, but I appreciate the link. :)

Last edited:
The machine can handle games pretty decent @ 1920x1080. Far Cry 2 can be played with most details at medium, some at the highest setting. I actually don't know the model of the power supply on this thing. I believe it's 300w, though. It should be fine to handle a video card that only needs one power connector, though, if that helps narrow things down a bit.

Looks pretty good, thank you. I've got around 10 days before I actually purchase the parts, so I'll see if I can gather other opinions until then. :)

Can't you use an upgrade liscense for Vista Business -> 7?

EDIT: also, you can sell the old stuff to help recoup costs.

Yeah, I can use an upgrade license. Where would I get one, and how much do you think it would cost?

Also - yes, I'd like to sell the parts I'm replacing, but I'll probably have to wait until after I get the new stuff to do so.

At costco, it's 124 for a three pack of HP.

50USD for just a single copy of HP.

Dunno about pro/ultimate.

That's wierd... mine (Roseville....ish?) was 50USD last weekend. Got one. Cheap paper box covering the plastic part, nowadays. No longer full plastic.

Upgrades were $50 back in June/July for a limited time. Haven't seen them at that price since then.

College students can get Win7 Pro 64-bit for only $35 online.

I use it as a second hand machine for photo editing (images larger than 5k by 3k) when my main system is rendering, so the upgrade is more for me than anything else. I don't want an OEM machine with no video card for around $500 lol, but I appreciate the link. :)

Integrated video that can do HD 1080p. ;) ... and it comes with a 24" monitor, lol. Not sayin you should get it, since you have most of the other parts... just sayin its a pretty damn good deal for what you get.

That's wierd... mine (Roseville....ish?) was 50USD last weekend. Got one. Cheap paper box covering the plastic part, nowadays. No longer full plastic.

Before the Official release day when the $50 preorders were sold?

Upgrades were $50 back in June/July for a limited time. Haven't seen them at that price since then.

Mustof been just Roseville (ish) Costco, then.

Funny, because that three pack price is just worth so much more...

Integrated video that can do HD 1080p. ;) ... and it comes with a 24" monitor, lol. Not sayin you should get it, since you have most of the other parts... just sayin its a pretty damn good deal for what you get.

Lol...well we have two 23" Acers (1920x1080) on each machine. The machine I'm replacing these parts on has a 9500GT (on PCI-E x16) already - not amazing, but definitely a million times better than any integrated graphics. If I were to spend $500 right now - it wouldn't be on a Dell with integrated graphics, it would be on something a lot better. :p

The 9400m and the HD4200 are the best integrated graphics can get to, but the boards are not cheap (about 130USD-200USD, iirc).

Last edited:
That may be, but anyone who's going to buy a motherboard for that much will probably be spending some good money on a nice video card as well. Integrated video on any board is bound to be weaker than even some of the current most budget-friendly video cards. For $500, a LOT more power can be had by choosing parts as opposed to going the prebuilt OEM route. :)

ok, what is the power supply you're working with?

Do you game on this machine?

Are you a college student?

Biostar g31e-m7 $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138145

W7 HP -$110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

corsair 400cx $50 (40ar)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

XFX 4770 $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369

D'oh - I just realized the motherboard you linked isn't PCI-E 2.0. :(

Lol...PCI-E 2.0 is the reason I'm upgrading my motherboard. Or rather, the lack of PCI-E 2.0 on my motherboard is the reason.

Lol...PCI-E 2.0 is the reason I'm upgrading my motherboard. Or rather, the lack of PCI-E 2.0 on my motherboard is the reason.

LOL, there is no need to upgrade a mobo simply for PCI-E 2.0 vidcards. There isn't a single card out right now that saturates the bandwidth of PCI-E 1.1, AFAIK. And even if there was, you're using a 9500GT, which doesn't even come close to saturating anything. :rolleyes: ... nor the HD4770/5770/etc.

Sure, a discrete card will perform leaps and bounds better than integrated, but for the budget you listed, the cheapest boards are the IGP versions. Who cares if they have an IGP if you're not even using it? :confused: Just because it has an IGP doesn't mean you need to use it. Besides, for photo editing, there is no need for a high end vidcard -- even with the low end cards, CUDA optimized photoshop performs well, IIRC.

... If I were to spend $500 right now - it wouldn't be on a Dell with integrated graphics, it would be on something a lot better. :p

Right, thats why I said I wasn't suggesting it to you. I already know you don't need them, just sayin that the integrated graphics aren't a deal killer to anyone who doesn't need more than such a thing. The included 24" monitor alone was $260, so for $450, thats a great deal for people who don't do any 3D stuff, since that IGP can handle 1080P itself. Again, as I said before... its not a good deal for you.

LOL, there is no need to upgrade a mobo simply for PCI-E 2.0 vidcards. There isn't a single card out right now that saturates the bandwidth of PCI-E 1.1, AFAIK. And even if there was, you're using a 9500GT, which doesn't even come close to saturating anything. :rolleyes: ... nor the HD4770/5770/etc.

Sure, a discrete card will perform leaps and bounds better than integrated, but for the budget you listed, the cheapest boards are the IGP versions. Who cares if they have an IGP if you're not even using it? :confused: Just because it has an IGP doesn't mean you need to use it. Besides, for photo editing, there is no need for a high end vidcard -- even with the low end cards, CUDA optimized photoshop performs well, IIRC.

Right, thats why I said I wasn't suggesting it to you. I already know you don't need them, just sayin that the integrated graphics aren't a deal killer to anyone who doesn't need more than such a thing. The included 24" monitor alone was $260, so for $450, thats a great deal for people who don't do any 3D stuff, since that IGP can handle 1080P itself. Again, as I said before... its not a good deal for you.

QFMFT.

What exactly do you want to accomplish with this upgrade? If it's increased gaming performance, just get the PSU and video card that gwarren007 listed earlier and you'll be set. That's all you'll need. More than likely the 300W PSU already in the system will not be enough for any GOOD video card.

Any and all new videocards are developed with 2.0 spec in mind. Sure they'll run fine in a pci-e 1 slot, but I want the motherboard to be future safe. It might be fine for a while, but that's beside the point. The point is that I'm I'm pointing out specs that I want, and what I don't want is a motherboard with the PCI-E 1 spec. I mean, it's as simple as that.

My main system has an Nividia Quadro FX 5800, which works brilliantly for Photoshop, AutoCAD and Premiere, so I'm covered well with that system. The system that I'm upgrading is my fiancee's system. It's secondary for me, but I want some more performance out of it when I need to use it. Now, instead of arguing with me about what I want, post something relevant or don't post in here at all. Thanks, :rolleyes:

EDIT: and what do you think I'm editing that doesn't need a high performance card, anyways? My .psd's get into the multiple gigabyte per file size, so a powerful card helps DRAMATICALLY. Going from an FX5800 to the 9500GT is pretty painful, so I'm trying to find something that won't be as painful to use.

A pcie 1.0 slot won't be the first thing to make your motherboard obsolete. We understand you want the 2.0 spec but there really is a negligible difference.

Also, photoshop doesn't really use the video card all that much. Its still mostly CPU, RAM, and scratch disk. We're not trying to belittle you, man. Take Danny Bui and enginurd's advice- they're really top notch and will give you suggestions based on your needs.

Waste of money buying another motherboard just for pci-e 2.0 when it makes zero difference.

By the way, socket 775 is dead so there goes your hope of future proofing anything.

Wow, this turned ugly pretty quickly. I won't belabor the point's about the PCIe 1.1 vs PCIe 2.0 bit, it's beaten to death at this point. If you don't see the irony of wanting to upgrade a 775 mobo for some theoretical PCIe lane bandwidth, then so be it. It is your money of course. One thing your not addressing though is your PSU issue. Anything even resembling a decent GPU will eat your 300 watt PSU alive. Likely it really is only capable of safely providing around 230 watts which half of will be eaten just from the gpu. If you decide to push that PSU remember the biggest rule with PSU's. They all can die at any time, but a PSU has the ability to kill every part in your box also. I'd start from this point looking at either the Corsair 400cx, or the Antec Earthwatts 380. After that you should decide what features you need in a GPU. Something like a ATI 4670 is a good all around card, easy on the PSU, and has a lot of great HTPC features to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388 Gigabyte G41Matx board. A couple of my friends and I have built some Hackintoshes for fun on these boards. Good buy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005 Antec EA380. I don't own one but well thought of.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125244 Gigabyte 4670 GPU card.

My total for the above build in the cart is $179.97 before rebates. That leaves you room for win7 at the prices you have seen. Prices will change obviously with free shipping deals/promos etc. This gives you a general idea as to what you can get with your present stated budget. Good luck.

Whether it agrees with your wants or not, the info was still relevant. :rolleyes:

You have a $3000 vidcard, yet only have $300 to upgrade your secondary machine? lol (assuming you meant the quadro and not the geforce fx5800). Anyhow, I gave my opinion on the best way to spend that $300 would be more for the vidcard and none for the mobo, but its your money, not ours, so do with it as you wish. I doubt any vidcard/mobo/psu/win7 combo you can cram into your $300 budget will fit BOTH your needs (better than 9500GT vidcard, better quality PSU, Win7) and wants (PCI-E2.0 mobo), comparing their performance to your QFX5800. Again, you'll be better off ditching the new mobo, spending more for a quadro or firegl card, and upgrading to a better quality PSU -- but hey, don't listen to me... I'm nobody, and these are just my opinions (based on facts).

BTW, even an entry level quadro/firegl should outperform any gaming card if the app (not game) takes advantage of CUDA/STREAM.

Last edited:
Whether it agrees with your wants or not, the info was still relevant. :rolleyes:

You have a $3000 vidcard, yet only have $300 to upgrade your secondary machine? lol (assuming you meant the quadro and not the geforce fx5800). Anyhow, I gave my opinion on the best way to spend that $300 would be more for the vidcard and none for the mobo, but its your money, not ours, so do with it as you wish. I doubt any vidcard/mobo/psu/win7 combo you can cram into your $300 budget will fit BOTH your needs (better than 9500GT vidcard, better quality PSU, Win7) and wants (PCI-E2.0 mobo), comparing their performance to your QFX5800. Again, you'll be better off ditching the new mobo, spending more for a quadro or firegl card, and upgrading to a better quality PSU -- but hey, don't listen to me... I'm nobody, and these are just my opinions (based on facts).

BTW, even an entry level quadro/firegl should outperform any gaming card if the app (not game) takes advantage of CUDA/STREAM.

Why do you think I'm only setting aside $300 for this particular upgrade? AGAIN, it's a secondary machine, and my fiancee does do some light gaming on it. It's at the end of it's life (pretty much) and I don't mind blowing $300 on something that I'm going to upgrade and pretty much forget about. I understand that the performance isn't going to come close to the Quadro based system, but that's totally beside the point. She does some gaming on the system (and so do I, occasionally), and $300 isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over regarding this upgrade. :p

I didn't mean to come off as a dick on my last post, but honestly guys, I gave you a list of what I was looking for but I didn't ask for it to be critiqued or dissected in every way possible. I have my needs in mind for this particular upgrade, and I know what I'm looking for. :)

My point is, your needs and wants are a tight fit for a $300 budget. :p ... as illustrated by g's latest list.

One of the cheapest ways to get Win7 Ultimate is to attend a launch event for half a day. ;)

Almost all motherboards out now have the PCI-E 2.0 spec. $300 can surely get a half decent videocard and motherboard. :p

Alright, lets say I forget about upgrading the motherboard AND forget about Windows 7. The motherboard on the system is an Intel DG41RQ. What would your suggestions be for upgrading the video card, CPU, and power supply?

The current CPU is a Pentium E5200. The board is socket 775 (as you know) and is compatible with socket 775 Core 2 Duo and Quad procs. With that in mind, for a total of $300, what would you get if you wanted to upgrade the processor, video card, and PSU?

EDIT: For the sake of not wasting all of our time, I'll say that yes, I understand that the fact that I've set the budget to only $300 for the upgrade makes things more difficult - but still definitely doable. Please let me know what you would do in my situation with the budget I've set.

The current CPU is a Pentium E5200. The board is socket 775 (as you know) and is compatible with socket 775 Core 2 Duo and Quad procs. With that in mind, for a total of $300, what would you get if you wanted to upgrade the processor, video card, and PSU?

$154 - AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU + BIOSTAR A785GE AM2+/AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$63 - Asus EN9600GSO/DI/512MD3/V2 GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB PCI-E 2.0 Video Card
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU
--------
Total: $267 plus tax and shipping.

For your usage scenario, a quad-core CPU would be far more beneficial. As noted earlier, socket 775 is pretty much a dead end socket. In addition current socket 775 quad CPUs are easily outperformed by cheaper or equal cost AMD and Core i5/i7 quad core CPUs.

Hm...interesting, How are those new Athlon II's? Do you think it'll be worth it going from the E5200 to the CPU that you linked? Also, the memory on the current system I want to upgrade is PC2-5300 (667mhz). Will I be able to use that RAM with the motherboard you linked?

iirc, it has to do with the memory controller and FSB ratio...
at least on Intel CPU with Intel chipsets.
i.e. I can only scale:
1066mhz FSB to 800Mhz or 677Mhz DDR2 on a G31 chipset (ASrock G31M-S rev2.0), but not lower, like 533. I can goto 533, if I lower the CPU FSB to 800 or lower, though.

Dunno if this continues to AMD systems.

Back