$300 laptop after rebate at Office Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberty

Extremely [H]
Office Depot has a cheap laptop for anyone who needs a cheap basic laptop. Sale starts Sunday for $300 after $135 MIR. I don't know how much shipping is on this though. Probably $50 if I was guessing.

http://officedepot.shoplocal.com/officedepot/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2279289&rapid=512738&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2092052017&ref=%2fofficedepot%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2279289%26pagenumber%3d1%26rapid%3d512738%26prvid%3dOfficeDepot-080210

Specs:

Compaq Presario Notebook Computer with Intel® Pentium® dual-core Notebook Processor T2330

15.4" BRIGHTVIEW WIDESCREEN
1GB MEMORY
Award-winning 24x7 customer support delivers priceless peace of mind
• 1GB DDR2 memory
• 80GB hard drive
• Reads and writes dual layer DVDs and CDs
• Windows Vista™ Home Basic
• Integrated 802.11b/g wireless LAN
Model C700T Configuration Code 80409061

EDIT: Deal appears to be dead now. I just got back from Office Depot and they said that HP just contacted them and told them to no longer accept orders that it's sold out. :(

OD rebates... I have had bad luck with them... and I'm a meticulous rebate user... fine print and all.

Specs

Specifications:
Product Features
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core mobile processor T2330 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed
1GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media
15.4" WXGA high-definition LCD widescreen display with BrightView technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
120GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with up to 251MB shared video memory; S-video output; built-in Altec Lansing audio
3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (with RJ-45 connector); high speed 56 Kbps modem
Weighs 5.7 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin for easy portability; 6-cell lithium-ion battery and AC adapter
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with HP Photosmart Essentials, muvee autoProducer, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more
Learn more about Windows Vista
Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Bleh CTO = prepare to pay a steep shipping fee.

T2330 = Merom @ 533MHz FSB and only 1MB L2 enabled.

I bought the C713NR from Best Buy in December for $400 with the T2310. It's a pretty nice laptop for the price.

According to the service guide, the C700 can support up to the T8300.

anyone know if ram is 2x512 sticks or 1x1gb? would like to up it to 2gb

It really doesn't matter. Go shopping for a 2 gig package and I think you will be shocked to see how cheap a matched pair are;)

Last time I tried one of these offers there, you had to order it, then they charge you $200 for shipping.

I am so ready to bite on this but since i am ignorant to the "notebook scene" i need some real advice here. I'm heading to Afghanistan in July and I'm looking to grab something to take with me. Only problem is price vs. performance. IS this deal "hot" and by "hot" i mean there is very little competition in this price range that is better than this? Or possibly something that has a better GPU for a tad more? I wish there was barebone laptop kits. That would be sweet.

This is hot in my opinion. I just paid 100 more a Cely with 40Gb HD more. I'm very tempted to return it. Yes I have to wait for a rebate bit a bit more than 300 for a dual core is noce. Just wish there were more pics and stuff on their site.

Yea. The shipping might kill the deal. Even if the shipping is 50 still not bad

Last time I tried one of these offers there, you had to order it, then they charge you $200 for shipping.

I'm calling B.S. on this. My dad ordered one of these about a year ago and the shipping was $50 MAX.

I'm seriously considering grabbing one of these to give my neice as a graduation gift.

Update: I just went to Tech Depot (Office Depot's Business site) and using the Model C700T Configuration Code 80409061 listed in the specs in the above link it shows shipping to be $20. We'll see tomorrow for sure if that's correct.

I'm calling B.S. on this. My dad ordered one of these about a year ago and the shipping was $50 MAX.

I'm seriously considering grabbing one of these to give my neice as a graduation gift.

Update: I just went to Tech Depot (Office Depot's Business site) and using the Model C700T Configuration Code 80409061 listed in the specs in the above link it shows shipping to be $20. We'll see tomorrow for sure if that's correct.
No, it wasn't "BS". I tried to get one several months back, and it was $200 to ship it to the store, $300 rebate. So essentially $100 off. Do some searching and you'll dig up some old threads with others saying the same thing. Things probably changed now because enough people complained.

$20 is what actual cost shipping typically is for a laptop unless they are offering it quicker than the cheapest of methods. I've never ordered from these guys, so pay attention at checkout and that should let you know if they are skimming off the top with shipping. $50 is an insane shipping price for a laptop. A desktop would be closer to that price.

2GB is a must for any Vista system to run smooth. So, make sure you can get an upgrade for it.

$20 is what actual cost shipping typically is for a laptop unless they are offering it quicker than the cheapest of methods. I've never ordered from these guys, so pay attention at checkout and that should let you know if they are skimming off the top with shipping. $50 is an insane shipping price for a laptop. A desktop would be closer to that price.

2GB is a must for any Vista system to run smooth. So, make sure you can get an upgrade for it.
1gb is enough for a basic laptop that would be used to surf the net, pay bills, and send email.

1gb is enough for a basic laptop that would be used to surf the net, pay bills, and send email.

Yeah...in that case it has double what is necessary...but if you don't want to wait a week for your aps to come up or to switch between them, get more ram. There was a drastic change (night and day) when I went from a gig to 2 gig. Ram is sooooo dirt cheap right now (especially in laptops) that the extra cost is minute.

Ah, here we go, this was the one I was talking about.
http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-comp-hardware/office-depot-bait-switch-6072.html

They advertised the laptop for $279.99, in store (after rebates).. Then when I got to the store, they wanted to me "order it online and have it shipped to the store". This resulted in a $70 configuration fee, and $99 shipping. SO essentially $169 extra, plus tax. It was quite a ruckus on the web.

Hmm, if I could find a cheap copy of XP to downgrade to this might be worth it.

Yeah...in that case it has double what is necessary...but if you don't want to wait a week for your aps to come up or to switch between them, get more ram. There was a drastic change (night and day) when I went from a gig to 2 gig. Ram is sooooo dirt cheap right now (especially in laptops) that the extra cost is minute.
this is a basic laptop with an ok cpu, small hard drive and just Vista Basic on it. theres nothing wrong with adding more memory but 1 gig is still ok for something like that. unless you have AOL and Norton hogging up everything it should be fine for all the basic stuff.

I just checked the review for this and it said the CPU is soldered to the mobo with virtually no choice of upgrading. I saw somebody post that this is capable of handling up to a t8300 but the review said different. The web site claims the FSB is 533 MHz (cpu Dependant). Any thoughts? I'm about ready to go and buy this thing so feedback will help!!! :eek: Just FYI: My fist desktop was a Compaq back before they were bought by HP so i maybe jaded and possibly not thinking this purchase through with a clear head because I'm in a rush. Who would've thought hot deals could be so stressful. :p

I just checked the review for this and it said the CPU is soldered to the mobo with virtually no choice of upgrading. I saw somebody post that this is capable of handling up to a t8300 but the review said different. The web site claims the FSB is 533 MHz (cpu Dependant). Any thoughts? I'm about ready to go and buy this thing so feedback will help!!! :eek: Just FYI: My fist desktop was a Compaq back before they were bought by HP so i maybe jaded and possibly not thinking this purchase through with a clear head because I'm in a rush. Who would've thought hot deals could be so stressful. :p
what do you want for $300? if you need a basic laptop then theres nothing wrong with this.

Just to let you guys know, Office Depot rebates are slow. I bought a laptop last October and
I'm still waiting for the $150 rebate on the HP laptop. Emailed and they said "We apologize, due to the overwhelming response we've had to this promotion we are a little behind getting these rebates mailed out."

I just checked the review for this and it said the CPU is soldered to the mobo with virtually no choice of upgrading. I saw somebody post that this is capable of handling up to a t8300 but the review said different.
I assume you mean this review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4202

LOL The "soldered" chip above his claim that the "CPU is soldered" is the north bridge, not the CPU. This is why you should take user reviews with several grains of salt. A lot of times people have absolutely no clue what they're talking about even with the item in front of their face (honestly, has that n00b ever even seen a mobile CPU?). :p The CPU is in a purple socket right next to the NB, and you can even see the edge of it in his picture.

I linked the service guide from HP and it clearly shows the CPU is socketed. It makes no sense for HP to solder this CPU anyways because the base C700 units have several different CPU SKUs and CTO options.

I went to office depot and they told me this deal was web only and that i had to order this online. So i came back home to found out it can only be ordered in store. Watch out for those Office Depot bastards! I didn't get to check the posts here before i left so when i asked if the CPU was soldered to the board i got a quick, "Yes, most Laptops have the CPU's soldered to them." Needless to say, i'm going back tomorrow to try again.

eh? I don't remember saying i wanted any additional extras with this. It would seem that my concern has been addressed. Thanks PXC! :D

what do you want for $300? if you need a basic laptop then theres nothing wrong with this.

Deal might be dead now. I just got back from Office Depot and they said that HP just contacted them and told them to no longer accept orders that it's sold out. :(

For those w/a a Compaq C700 series laptop, it supports more than 2 gb of memory.

I have a C751NR, and I have it running w/3 gb (2 sticks, 1 gb and a 2 gb stick) w/o any problems. So I would imagine 4 gb ( 2x 2 gb sticks) should work also, especially w/the 64 bit versions of Vista or XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back