3 way sli, recommended mobo? 1155 socket

_tucker_

n00b
Hi guys basically i have a maximus vs formula mb with a i5 3570k chip and 2 gtx 660ti's,
somebody brought me another 660ti however my board only supports 2 way sli.
i dont want to sell it because it was a gift and i have water blocks for all 3 cards.

ive been looking at the maximus vs extreme board because its red and im used to the functions and style of it because of my formula. however it only has 2 16x lanes so id be running in 8x on all cards.
ive seen a asrock extreme 9 board and that has 5 16x lanes so id be running in 16x on all cards

any ideas?
cheers

Your not going to get 16x on 3 gpus with any motherboard of that socket type.

Yup, what Filter said. You would need a 2011 socket if you want to run 3 16x lanes. I believe if you try to run 3 cards on 1155 board your best option would be 8x/8x/4x.

Yup, what Filter said. You would need a 2011 socket if you want to run 3 16x lanes. I believe if you try to run 3 cards on 1155 board your best option would be 8x/8x/4x.

i thought that would be for crossfire? surely it would go all the same 8x for all 3 cards?
what mb would you recommend then if i cant get all at 16 anyway?
am i right in thinking they would all still be running at pcie 3.0 speed tho?

Go with the ASUS Maximus V EXTREME if you're looking for an LGA 1155 board. It's actually capable of doing 4-way SLI but you can use the extra space to separate your cards a bit for more airflow.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The peformance hit at x8, running 3-way sli will not be noticeable. You're going to want an lga-2011 board with a plx chip, if you want 3-way at x16.

The maximus v extreme is still a terrific motherboard. Jump for it at the right price.

Go with the ASUS Maximus V EXTREME if you're looking for an LGA 1155 board. It's actually capable of doing 4-way SLI but you can use the extra space to separate your cards a bit for more airflow.

Think I'll go for that then I've seen one for around £300, hopefully I can sell the formula to help pay for it,
I can't put my cards in different spacing because I have a FC 670 block so I got to use the FC bridge and link kit, just got to try get a series bridge to go with it now

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The peformance hit at x8, running 3-way sli will not be noticeable. You're going to want an lga-2011 board with a plx chip, if you want 3-way at x16.

The maximus v extreme is still a terrific motherboard. Jump for it at the right price.

The 2011 boards are for ivy bridge e arnt they?

I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade to haswel and just buy the new maximus v extreme board but I've not even had the ivy chip a year yet

Back