3 monitor video card

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
are there any video cards that I can just plug in 2 DVI monitors and an HDMI monitor into without needing to buy active DP adapters?

will the R9 270 do it? I bought a 7770 because it said it did triple monitors but oh just kidding you need a $40 adapter

GCN 1.0 cannot, GCN 1.1 can.

Basically, if it has trueaudio/XDMA it can.

what about the green team?

Add 285/285x.

Like The Mac said, if it has True Audio, then yes.

I just recently got a PowerColor 285, and i was stomped that it doesnt support 3 monitors with 2xdvi and 1 hdmi..

You cannot use the HDMI port, along with 2 dvi ports on this thing, you need native DP if you wanna use the 2 dvi ports.

Came from a 660ti, which worked just fine with that setup, might just be me that are missing something..

On AMD cards, you can connect 3 monitors via DVI/HDMI if they are all identical. It might work if only two of the monitors are identical.

The Sapphire 6450 Flex additionally contains an internal active DP->DVI adapter so you can connect any 3 monitors even if they are not identical.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
More details on AMD Rx 2xx series and 3 monitor support - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/3

what about the green team?

Kepler can do 3 monitors without DP/active adapter or 4 assuming standard configuration on GK104/110 parts. As for lower parts from what I'm aware of not many of them have the physical connectors so I'm not sure if the chips themselves can handle it (just no connectors) but I believe they should be able to (Gk107/106).

GM107 can do the same, although again the connector configuration is a bit non-standardized among the different cards.

On AMD cards, you can connect 3 monitors via DVI/HDMI if they are all identical. It might work if only two of the monitors are identical.

The Sapphire 6450 Flex additionally contains an internal active DP->DVI adapter so you can connect any 3 monitors even if they are not identical.

6450 is 4 generations old.

not really applicable

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@The Mac
You can buy the 6450 Flex in many places, including Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect.

Ok you stealth edited "EOL" to "4 generations old".

There is no problem with that, if you only want to connect 3 monitors. For gaming maybe, but that is not something you could do on the 6450 even when it was brand new.

kinda my point.

lol

yeah i ninjaed it, it probably will be EOL soon, as 6xxx is the last generation supported in new drivers.

I just recently got a PowerColor 285, and i was stomped that it doesnt support 3 monitors with 2xdvi and 1 hdmi..

You cannot use the HDMI port, along with 2 dvi ports on this thing, you need native DP if you wanna use the 2 dvi ports.

Came from a 660ti, which worked just fine with that setup, might just be me that are missing something..

no you dont, a passive DP-HDMI/DVI adapter works fine.

All gcn 1.1/2.0 cards have 3 TDMS clocks.

on my 7770 I had 3 identical monitors on both DVI's and the HDMI and it did not work, could only enable 2 monitors

Back