3.5" HDD mounting...

crABtoad

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I need to mount a 3.5" HDD so that it takes up 1" of vertical space, and hangs away from the inside wall of the case by 3.5"...

I can screw one side of the HDD directly to the side of the case with appropriate anti-vibration mounts, but I (and this sounds really simple) can't find appropriate reinforced L-Brackets to put under the HDD to support the weight from it to the case wall.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to do, can anyone recommend something for doing this?

Okay, it didn't seem like a "standard" case mod part was available for this. I guess I'll just take a hard drive with me and hit up Home Depot.

Thanks Machupo!

Just wondering if this worked - I'm looking at mounting 4x 3.5" hdds in a PC-Q12b and will need to come up with something DIY as well!

I never actually got a chance to try it... I ended up having to save up cash for real life stuff. Sorry man.

doublepostin...

when i was about to do this it occurred to me that you should probably have some kind of tension/suspension across the top surface of the drive...

Basically you would screw the L-bracket into the side of the case, screw the one side of the HDD into the side of the case as well, screw the rest of the L-bracket into the bottom of the HDD...

Then you would want to run something with some tensile strength from one of these screw points over the top surface of the drive and connect it to the opposite side of the HDD.

I could do up a diagram, but you'll probably get it np.

Back