3.4C on Newegg; more Prescott numbers

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
The 3.4C

Grand total of $429.00 for the boxed retail version. I'll post pics for you guys if you want, but sorry, no OCs, 'cause this is going in parents' rig.

And, out of China, we have some benchies for the Prescott, here and here.

When I saw Tedinde's post about Prescotts being availible at some retailers, I said to my mom "Maybe we should wait a few days to see what he gets out of them..."

When I saw these benchmarks, my reservations were erased. Combined with all the stuff I've seen elsewhere, and the inquirer numbers that started a flame war on logic, philosophy, and Alienware, things don't look good for this first incarnation of Prescott.

But I remember reading somewhere a quote by an Intel exec saying that there were many un-enabled features in Prescott...makes me wonder...oh well by the time they do those they'll have made the move to the new socket. I think the website was overclockers.com if you're interested. The quote was in one of the articles.

Their overclocking potential looks good though, again from what was said in the other thread. Too bad I don't have money. My 3.25 is good enough for now anyway, though it has lost the luster of being faster than any retail desktop processor from Intel.

Edit: Fixed 2nd Pressy link

By the way, any reservations on this setup? Again, it's for my parents. They're coming from an aging Micron w/a PIII 500Mhz. It's a slot processor. I had her buy a hard drive so she could try and run XP on it (she has fanatically defended her six-year-old install of Windows 98), but the new one died, and the old one is making very interesting noises as of late.

Antec Overture w/ TruePower 380 @ $90.00

Lite-On Black 48x24x48x16 Combo Drive, $53.00

Lite-On Black DVD-RW/+RW Drive, $107.00

2 Hitachi 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA HDs, $144.00 (for both)

Kingston 512 MB DDR PC-3200, $312.00 for 4

ABit 875P IC7-G MAX2, $149.99

The 3.4C, $429.00

MS Office '03 Pro, $297.00

WinXP Pro w/SP1, $136.00

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB, $151.00

Shipping $15.00

Grand total $1,868.99

This computer is going to be used mostly for office, internet, and graphics software like photoshop and such. The reason it's so insane though is that my mom expects it to last 6 years like her last one. I tried unsuccessfully to persaude her to get an Athlon64, lest 32-bit software gets phased out, but she's got Intel propoganda hard-coded in there. Not that I don't like Intel; it's just that if I had money to burn right now, I'd either get a Prescott or 2.4C and OC the frell out of it or get an Athlon64 and be satisfied with a minor OC.

And they're the ones paying for it, not me ;). You give me more credit than I deserve jamezzz.

um ur going WAY overboard for office/email...

get an 865g board, get only 1 hdd, unless u want raid1, dont get a video card (865g onboard is fine for 2d), and for god sakes buy a celeron or a cheap 2.4C or 2.8Prescott.

if ur not going to oc get apacer samsung ram at newegg, its $80 for 512, get 2.

She wants state of the art even though that's what she's using it for. If I put my 2.6 in there she'd never notice though. Jeez, I had to talk her out of an Audigy even though she only has 2 speakers...:rolleyes:

If you were smart you'd take that 3.4 for yourself and stick the 2.6 in and overclock it. My mom's computer is overclocked 1700+@2ghz, my sisters are all the same and my dad's is too. Hell my office server is a 2.4c@3ghz, can go alot faster but being conservative.

Or

If your ethics get in the way of the 3.4 taking, then overclock it anyways! Not like its going to hurt it any, well if you know what you're doing that is.

Hmm... if those numbers are correct it looks as if the Prescott's FPU is three times faster then the Northwoods!!!

So while there seems to be a slight degradation in performance across the board, it also appears to me 3D rendering and heavy mathmatic calculation will be MUCH MUCH faster!!!

I'll bet it's the advances in the hyperthreading technology that is confusing the benchmarks.

This would be quite a blow to AMD as their FPU's have always reigned surpreme.

Who knows though? Few more days and we all will.

Thanks for the links though!

*runs to look at numbers again*

Except for CPUBench'03, I thought it was all slower....

Yeah, the Northwood beasts the Prescott in Sandra, and yes in FPU. My 2.6C comes close to taking it down at stock. Lemme fix the one link though - it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Originally posted by GRAFiZ
Hmm... if those numbers are correct it looks as if the Prescott's FPU is three times faster then the Northwoods!!!

So while there seems to be a slight degradation in performance across the board, it also appears to me 3D rendering and heavy mathmatic calculation will be MUCH MUCH faster!!!

I'll bet it's the advances in the hyperthreading technology that is confusing the benchmarks.

This would be quite a blow to AMD as their FPU's have always reigned surpreme.

Who knows though? Few more days and we all will.

Thanks for the links though!

MY F@H scores will skyrocket!!! No to sell the 8 AMD Folding rigs in the basement!!!!

I'd go with Plextor Drives- I've got a Premium and a PX-504A and really like both of them.

The 3.4 isn't the top of the line processor because it doesn't have the 2mb cache.

If you were to get the 3.2 extreme edition it would outrun the 3.4 because of the cache. This allows you to run multiple programs and such for various things.

And if your interested in a 3.2 extreme edition processor just email or post here

Originally posted by r4tio
The 3.4 isn't the top of the line processor because it doesn't have the 2mb cache.

If you were to get the 3.2 extreme edition it would outrun the 3.4 because of the cache. This allows you to run multiple programs and such for various things.

And if your interested in a 3.2 extreme edition processor just email or post here

Boy guess you missed the benches. The 3.2EE won a few GAMING benchmarks by a slight margin, it lost the rest. I don't think an extra 5fps is worth the HUGE premium. Seems pretty STUPID.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=nw34&page=4

Besides don't try to pawn your used stuff on some kid building a computer for his mom knowing damn well that its not a gaming machine.

Heh true, but at least there's more justification going from a 3.4C to 3.4EE than there is from a A64 3400+ to FX-51. Of all the benches I've seen they practically match performance in everything.

Originally posted by r4tio

If I were that gulliable I'd have it already. And the EE isn't the top of the line if you want to be really technical; a dually Zeon rig would be. 2 x 3.06 = 6.12 right? ;) Or Opertons. Or a Hammer. Or the FX-51.

Its been at googlegear a week or so. Suprised newegg took so long to catch up.

hmm, I'd buy the pioneer dual format DVD-R/RW drive for about 130 or less on new egg (OEM) instead of your dvd optical choice; I think the dual format is an important thing especially for parent newbies. Everything else looks good.

i noticed you're putting two drives in that machine, and this may be your reasoning but if not, listen. don't put them in a raid-0 configuration unless your parents completely understand the risk. i hope that you use them for raid 1.

Ted,

Are you kicking yourself in the ass for selling your 4Ghz Northwoods??

I know I would be!! :mad:

Originally posted by chrisf6969
Ted,

Are you kicking yourself in the ass for selling your 4Ghz Northwoods??

I know I would be!! :mad:

Actually no. I sold my 3.2 and 3.0 before any price drops last week. Buying the replacement prescott versons were less than i sold the old one's for.

Plus it's boaring messing with the same stuff everyday. Hell i miss the high fsb of my last 2.4chip 315fsb stable.

Im counting on all these reviews are all stepping 1 chips, and the retail versions everyone is waiting for will run cooler. If not i guess i'll just jump ship and put this AMD64 3200 chip and shuttle board in my Vapo.

The new Vapo clamshell I ordered for AMD64/intel478 is supposed to be here tomorrow too.

Originally posted by Tedinde
Actually no. I sold my 3.2 and 3.0 before any price drops last week. Buying the replacement prescott versons were less than i sold the old one's for.

Plus it's boaring messing with the same stuff everyday. Hell i miss the high fsb of my last 2.4chip 315fsb stable.

One good thing also, is that the Northwood replacements are cheap now too.

But I think I already have it about as good as it gets, at least on aircooling. Now a 2.6C that does 3.9Ghz at 300FSB would be a little nicer.

I could upgrade to 1Gb of ram that will run at 5:4 vs. my 512Mb at 3:2. However, now I'm hesitant with the whole DDR2 thing coming up.

Back