2x256 + 1x512 = no dual-channel?

Pixeleet

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo, with 2x256 Corsair XMS3200 C2 ram. I want to have 1gb of ram, but I'm wondering if I'll loose dual-channel support in this motherboard if I use all three slots. I'll add the same type ram, brand and speed and everything, just a 512mb stick in the third slot. Right now, it's dual channel (OC'ed at that) and I read you can use all three slots on other baords such as the Abit NF7-S, but I couldn't find any reports about this motherboard. Does someone know whether this will mess up my dual-channel?

It will not mess up your dual channel. Please note that channel does not equal DIMM, but refers to the way the memory controller sees things. Look here at the DIMM slots... slots 1 is on one channel, and slots 2 and 3 are on another. As long as the same amount of memory is stuck in each channel (and the specs are the same, of course), you can use dual channel. So... stick the smaller sticks in slots 2 and 3 and the big one in slot 1. After that, you'll be good to go, and it will recognize it and run in dual channel automatically.

-SEAL

Is it true that 2x512 is better than 1x512 + 2x256?
I heard that for OCers, 2x512 yields the best FSB overclock.

Does being single-sided or double-sided change anything?

My understanding is running 2 sticks are better than 3 and 1 stick is better than 2. This is because with more sticks of ram, you run into more tolerance issues. As you OC higher and higher, the tolerances, or lack thereof, becomes a big factor in whether or not you can maintain such a high OC. High performance dual channel kits (where you have to have 2 sticks) sometimes come in 'matched pairs' where the operational tolerances are very tight. The company won't say it's good ram for OCing--they have to protect themselves--but you get the idea.

-TFR

Back