2tb 7200RPM Drive Options for RAID

TheGreySpectre

Limp Gawd
So I have an Areca 1880-ix-12 raid card with a RAID 6 setup. I was using Hitachi 7k3000 7200 RPM 2TB drives however it seems recently with the Western Digital Acquisition of Hitatchi availability has decreased and price has increased, it appears they they are now marketed as Enterprise level drives instead of consumer level drives.

I seem to recall that at least the last time I checked the consumer level Western Digitals had problems with raid timeouts. Is this still a problem with different consumer level drives?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a 2TB 7200RPM HD preferably with 64Mb of cache that performs well in a RAID Configuration? Preferably a consumer level drive as opposed to an enterprise level drive. I will probably end up needing 3-4 of them.

The 5k3000's are still somewhat available (though the price is higher as you have noticed), as are the WD Red's which would work well with your Areca if you still want to stay with consumer drives.

Those WD Reds look great, I wasn't aware that WD had introduced a drive marketed at home servers.

Back