2950X build now or wait for mobos? First AMD since Phenom2!

My recommendations also made the same assumptions. A lot of people, me included, moved from Intel to AMD for that main reason. I like the idea that I could buy the best desktop cpu they had to offer and still use the same motherboard in case I want to get on newer chips. Intel has a poor record of preserving that compatibility with back-level chips.

As someone that messes around with online game servers a lot my own criteria wasn't how fast one was over the other, but how many virtual machines can I run and still be reasonably responsive when running the game client on the host OS. The AMD TR series fit that bill perfectly with me being able to run clients and servers all off of M.2 SSDs while keeping a development environment source debugging code on another. Sometimes I may pop up a couple more VMs to simulate up to 1000 online players to stress test session handling while using the host to watch for lag.

I may be retired, but I ain't dead yet :D This is how I keep my mind sharp in my old age.

Photoshop has been shown to be 5-6 cores, so the 9900 will perform very close to the 8700. I recommended the AM4 platform because earlier you seemed very concerned with an upgrade path.
At first I was but then I started thinking that if I get the best for my needs right now, by the time I want to upgrade again, in sure some new chipset will be out to take advantage of some news features and I am going to want to get that so is not a big deal after all.

In any case... I was waiting for the 9900k before making a decision but once again the 2700x started tempting me. Then again, maybe is best to wait for Black Friday?
It seems that the right memory speed and timings can improve the 2700x performance in the situations where the 8700k OCed beats it like most games... Right?
Is this memory information still accurate?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...nfusion_eg_on/
It seems the best memory is pretty expensive as well (the dual one 3200).
Just want to make sure if I go with 2700x that I feed it the best possible RAM to maximize its performance.

Ryzen does excel with good RAM and timings. You probably wouldn't want anything different with an expensive Intel build though.

9900k is only 11% faster in gaming according to corrected and more honest testing.

11%faster for like 60% more price.

Clear winner is AMD.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
9900k is only 11% faster in gaming according to corrected and more honest testing.

11%faster for like 60% more price.

Clear winner is AMD.
Not exactly. We are not even considering the overclocking aspect either which can change those numbers.
In any case, I will wait for the final real reviews before buying either but I care a lot about those minimum FPS more than averages and more importantly, I use my computer for Photoshop and Premiere and based on tests that I have seen it seems in several occasions the 8700k using its IGPU was actually doing some things faster than the 2700x even with the extra 2 cores which is why I was left hoping at the time I could fuse the 2700x and 8700k into one CPU...and maybe the 9900k is that one CPU .
Still I am making no decision until I have all the information at hand since I waited long enough so a few more weeks are not going to kill me.
Plus there is also the expectations of Zen2 and if I would be able to use it with a 470 mobo if I were to go with the 2700x now. Many things to consider.

Not exactly. We are not even considering the overclocking aspect either which can change those numbers.
In any case, I will wait for the final real reviews before buying either but I care a lot about those minimum FPS more than averages and more importantly, I use my computer for Photoshop and Premiere and based on tests that I have seen it seems in several occasions the 8700k using its IGPU was actually doing some things faster than the 2700x even with the extra 2 cores which is why I was left hoping at the time I could fuse the 2700x and 8700k into one CPU...and maybe the 9900k is that one CPU .
Still I am making no decision until I have all the information at hand since I waited long enough so a few more weeks are not going to kill me.
Plus there is also the expectations of Zen2 and if I would be able to use it with a 470 mobo if I were to go with the 2700x now. Many things to consider.

Why use the iGPU to accelerate? your dedicated GPU should have more power to accelerate anything in PS/Premiere.

Why use the iGPU to accelerate? your dedicated GPU should have more power to accelerate anything in PS/Premiere.
Because is not one or the other, according to the test, Premier uses BOTH the iGPU and CUDA on the video card to get the increased performance. The test showed the 8700k rendering pretty much at the same speed as a TR with so many more cores.

Because is not one or the other, according to the test, Premier uses BOTH the iGPU and CUDA on the video card to get the increased performance. The test showed the 8700k rendering pretty much at the same speed as a TR with so many more cores.

Ahh, I see. :)

I guess I'm a bit lost, thought you were going for the 2950x not the 2700x

Ahh, I see. :)

I guess I'm a bit lost, thought you were going for the 2950x not the 2700x
Yeah that was my original plan but it changed a lot as I kept researching :)
I was mesmerized by the amount of cores but for my specific needs it seems 8 cores are the perfect amount with the extra speed per core. It has been the usual nightmare of endless research for me and it still has a long way to go :D

Yeah that was my original plan but it changed a lot as I kept researching :)
I was mesmerized by the amount of cores but for my specific needs it seems 8 cores are the perfect amount with the extra speed per core. It has been the usual nightmare of endless research for me and it still has a long way to go :D

Curious to why you don't think the extra cores are worth it, I figured Premiere would love it, given that you're not IO limited.

Curious to why you don't think the extra cores are worth it, I figured Premiere would love it, given that you're not IO limited.
Premiere does but then the actual speed I can OC that processor for apps and games that do not use the cores affect the performance there. Also Photoshop most of the processes there actually ran faster on the 8700k. Then when the iGPU updated came out for Premiere, it made the 8700k pretty much match the rendering speed of the TR so as usual there is always a trade off which ever option I go so I decided that for me, the best balance was going with the 2700x or 8700k which now likely will end up being the 9900k unless the real world reviews somehow turn out disappointing that is.
Cant even yet decide on a case imagine picking the CPU lol

Premiere does but then the actual speed I can OC that processor for apps and games that do not use the cores affect the performance there. Also Photoshop most of the processes there actually ran faster on the 8700k. Then when the iGPU updated came out for Premiere, it made the 8700k pretty much match the rendering speed of the TR so as usual there is always a trade off which ever option I go so I decided that for me, the best balance was going with the 2700x or 8700k which now likely will end up being the 9900k unless the real world reviews somehow turn out disappointing that is.
Cant even yet decide on a case imagine picking the CPU lol
Well, it's close, but not much faster in all cases, slower in a couple?

The 8700k With hardware acceleration a , comes within 5% of a 1950x, I Assume a 4ghz 2950x would blow it out of the water =p but who knows

Premiere Pro CS 6 uses half of my available threads on my 12 c / 24 t workstation. My copy of Premiere Pro CC 2018 is on my 4 c / 8 t laptop so I can't test if later versions are as core averse but if so, once you reach 12 or 16 threads you're better off with core speed than extra cores.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes although in that test they are not using the iGPU on the 8700k unlike here:

I'd encourage you to look into it more.

The second issue with hardware accelerated encoding is that it is not the same quality as using the normal "Software only" mode. In fact, in our testing we found that the target bitrate was not always being met when using hardware acceleration. And even when it was, the quality was still lower than "Software only" mode. The odd thing was that when the bitrate was being matched, the time to export was identical in both modes - so we only saw a performance gain when the final exported file was at a lower actual bitrate.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...on-in-Adobe-Media-Encoder---Good-or-Bad-1211/

it seems to only help in some situations, and with caveats.

Back