280X CF vs R9 Fury

bisexual greg

Weaksauce
I've been offered to swap my 280X video cards and cash for an R9 Fury, before I pull the trigger, I'm curious how many of you have made the same jump and what your impressions are. Please let me know!

Love you, Greg.

Well, a single Fury is 70% faster than a single 280x.

I seriously doubt that 280x's CF will be 70% faster than a single 280x. Regardless of how good the crossfire profile might be.

I'd do it.

Go for the fury, you'll be glad you did.

CF is great when it works but having one stronger card when it doesn't makes up for it.

Should be quieter, take less power, and less hassles due to CF so yeah jump. I'd make sure it has the monitor connectors you plan to use or buy the adapters before pulling trigger..

Should be quieter, take less power, and less hassles due to CF so yeah jump. I'd make sure it has the monitor connectors you plan to use or buy the adapters before pulling trigger..

I would imagine it would have displayport. I'm using a Samsung 580 4k monitor

So there's a chance I lose performance vs the crossfire setup where crossfire is optimal?

There is a chance that if a game has 100% CFX support that a Fury will have 10% less performance. There is also a chance that if a game has NO CFX support, the Fury will have 70% more.

Solution? Overclock/unlock the Fury and get 10% more perf back!

I agree with you. The guy no longer wants to trade for the cards, but he's going to take 400 cash. Substantially less than what it's worth, so I'll flip these cards elsewhere I suppose?

You'll do well on the FS/T forums here. lots of fair trades/exchanges going on.

lets put it this way a lot of nvidia optimized games are out there and CF is not widely supported and they still have not patched the full support for the newest titles... GO TO SINGLE FASTER CARD NOW you can always add a second fury later...

lets put it this way a lot of nvidia optimized games are out there and CF is not widely supported and they still have not patched the full support for the newest titles... GO TO SINGLE FASTER CARD NOW you can always add a second fury later...
I second the advice to get the fastest card, but let's face it: that "later" will never come. When the time comes, you'll be asking the same about Xfire-ing the Fury's, and people will tell you to get the best single faster, newer card.

Get the best one you can; save, sell and repeat.

Thirded...

I am very familiar with the amd control center. The one or my laptop isn't as straightforward in my opinion. I feel like I would be better off sticking with what I have.

I am very familiar with the amd control center. The one or my laptop isn't as straightforward in my opinion. I feel like I would be better off sticking with what I have.

Well I guess you made up your mind then despite everyone in the thread telling you to go single non cf as cf does not have wide spread support nor good support it does not matter how well you know the control panel as fury or the 280x it will be the same. But take this into account the fury is 3 generations past the 280x silicon it has maybe 10% less performance than the theoretical perf of the 280x cf that is assumed the cf support is perfect in non cf instances the fury will slap your 280x around... Also going from 2 cards to 1 means 2x 8x pcie to 1x 16x pcie and about 200 watts lower in the system.

Running CF 280x cards for years. Works fine, but I'd go for a Fury given the choice. Looking to upgrade is always nice :)

well i got the video card in and installed. runs furmark like a champion.

csgo still lags, and now it randomly flashes a black screen.

this is a good.

The fury card should eat csgo for lunch. Drivers? Power supply? Heat?

i ran furmark for an hour. stared at it for 30 of those minutes. not one hiccup or glitch. why does this game hate my soul?

do run monitoring software? Like do you watch it while doing any benches? And I would stay away from furmark, not worth the heat and risk. Better off with Valley/Heaven and 3DMark.

6qZmC1J.jpg

yea furmark said that i was around 51-53 degrees.

i know this isn't the fastest computer on the planet, but it's still pretty good, and i feel like it should be good enough to run fucking CS:GO...

Last edited:
What was the setting causing issues? AMD optimized?

So what your saying is by a simple change in the amd radeon settings everything would have been fine even with the previous hardware? lol At least you figured it out eventually:D

That's what I'm getting out of it, lol. I should probably mention that I suspected hard drive was going bad... got a 1tb ssd that replaced my velociraptor. I was regretting it, but I'm now in a situation where I'm just a motherboard and processor away when the time comes.

well the single card will still be better so still an upgrade...

I would make sure you run MSI afterburner and Rivatuner (come together). Use them to overlay temps and fps and memory too so you can see what is happening just before issues persist. If you also run HWiNFO64 or 32 (os dependent) then you can run an overlay that will monitor individual CPU cores (not necessary with your problem but cool anyway) monitor your Vram usage, GPU voltages, GPU clock, GPU fan speed% and GPU temps. Goes a long way when diagnosing issues whether hardware failures like you are having or like I did working with making Skyrim 100% stable for my setup.

HWinfo64 http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

MSI afterburner and rivatuner https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

looking at this online I got this statement:
SOLUTION: I fixed my problem by just having msi afterburning running in the background at stock speeds. There must somehow have been an overclock active on my fury x which wasn't showing up in amd overdrive.

So MSI afterburner is a go.

Ok another guy is claiming it happens when he goes over 100fps. Do you have any idea what your fps are in CSGO?

I keep vsync enabled, so ~60. Thanks for digging that up. I woke up to go take a leak. Gonna try that in a few hours :D

Dont mean to piggy back but OP's Q is similar to mine.
Should I CF 390 or Sell 390 and buy Fury X ?

I am Canadian so the Fury X here is like $1000 (949+tx) I could probably sell the 390 for $300-350. and a new 390 is like $420(heh) if I wait for a sale, paid $416 for the first one, grabbed it on sale.
Saw no point in getting the 390X, a few more frames for ~$150+ ? nothx. ($599 retail)

Last edited:
Dont mean to piggy back but OP's Q is similar to mine.
Should I CF 390 or Sell 390 and buy Fury X ?

I am Canadian so the Fury X here is like $1000 (949+tx) I could probably sell the 390 for $300-350. and a new 390 is like $420(heh) if I wait for a sale, paid $416 for the first one, grabbed it on sale.
Saw no point in getting the 390X, a few more frames for ~$150+ ? nothx. ($599 retail)
Not worth it. This close to the next series it would be far wiser to wait. Besides the FuryX isn't that much stronger. From a 280X yes, from a 390 no.

A single 280x will run CS:GO amazingly well so if you are having problems with your game its something else.

Back