2500+ @ 3200+, how much is too much voltage?

MATTRESS

Gawd
I got my athlon xp barton 2500+ running at 3200+ ... along with pc2700 ram running at pc3200 ^_^

i got a nice healthy stable power supply, OK cooling, about 50C load...

i just bumped the vcore up to 1.825 because the computer is still shutting off randomly.

what kind of cooling do you have? i have a xp-m 2500@ 3200 and im getting heat issues. my temp sensor is mounted on the back of the motherboard and im getting 50c idle temps. i dont understand because the comp is perfectly stable and never crashes on me even after a few hours of hard gaming.

You may just have to back off a bit. Your chip might not be able to take it. No 2 OC's are the same.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

You know you have too much voltage when...

You smell marshmellows burning, and you don't have any in the house.
The fire department shows up on occasion, just to check.
The wife is complaining that the stove won't get hot anymore.
The electric company is dedicating a new generating plant in your honor.

Well I was watercooling my Barton 2500 and i was running it right around 2 volts but i was doing way over 3200 @ around 80-90 F idle-full load.... my friend has a Barton 2500 and runs 1.95-2 v to get 3200 specs or a little better w/ watercooling @ 93-95 idle... just depends on the board and the chip and ect. If ur hitting more than 100 degrees F idle in my opinion u need to back off but then again im a cold freak and u might be ok

Some motherboards don't read voltages or temps correctly. What type of board is it? Abit is notorious for reporting temps that are about 10 degrees higher than they actually are.

lentic said:
Well I was watercooling my Barton 2500 and i was running it right around 2 volts but i was doing way over 3200 @ around 80-90 F idle-full load.... my friend has a Barton 2500 and runs 1.95-2 v to get 3200 specs or a little better w/ watercooling @ 93-95 idle... just depends on the board and the chip and ect. If ur hitting more than 100 degrees F idle in my opinion u need to back off but then again im a cold freak and u might be ok

lol, under 100F... you remember how hot those tunderbirds ran? like 51c idle, thats like 122F. i think as long as you keep it under 45c you should be good

PsycoGeek said:
You may just have to back off a bit. Your chip might not be able to take it. No 2 OC's are the same.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

You know you have too much voltage when...

You smell marshmellows burning, and you don't have any in the house.
The fire department shows up on occasion, just to check.
The wife is complaining that the stove won't get hot anymore.
The electric company is dedicating a new generating plant in your honor.

You actually made me laugh at loud
:p

geeeeeeeez 2 volts for 3200 speeds? Maybe I lucked out with my Barton, but it ran at 3200 speeds on air at nearly stock voltage. Like the man said, no two overclocks are the same :rolleyes:

lithium726 said:
lol, under 100F... you remember how hot those tunderbirds ran? like 51c idle, thats like 122F. i think as long as you keep it under 45c you should be good

Well I was talking about Barton's but sure.....

stere0 said:
geeeeeeeez 2 volts for 3200 speeds? Maybe I lucked out with my Barton, but it ran at 3200 speeds on air at nearly stock voltage. Like the man said, no two overclocks are the same :rolleyes:

well both my unlocked and locked barton's will do about 2.4 ghz @ 1.8-1.9v but for some reason his really suxs

gigabyte has the same problem with reporting temps 10-15 degrees higher.. I have my 2500+ barton running at 2.2ghz right now with cheap watercooling, and I get about 59C load @ 1.77 voltage. I wouldn't go over the 2V line..just too much heat to worry about

stere0 said:

I run Intel procs, but have a similar situation. My 2.4c will run @ 270fsb just fine with the memory set at 5:4 (could go higher, but need a volt mod and vTT mod), the 2.8c runs @ 263fsb (vTT is what might be holding me back here), but my 2.6c won't go over 250fsb no matter what memory I use, the board I put it in, or core voltage I set it to. Luck of the draw...

Just remember one other thing... Don't get frustrated and start altering more than one variable at a time to achieve the OC.

You may also want to consider getting new RAM. It may actually be holding you back. I had randome lock-ups and reboots until I increased the VDIMM a bit. Too high and it would ramdomely reboot (probably because of the vTT not being correct at 2.9v and above on the IC7 Max3).

stere0 said:
Yeah, agreed. Mine takes 1.70V to run at 2.2GHz.

I have a 2500+ too. Id like to just make it run at 2000ghz. Should I make the fsb 200 and the multiplier 10? Should I raise the voltage? Its at stock now.

dtac7 said:
I have a 2500+ too. Id like to just make it run at 2000ghz. Should I make the fsb 200 and the multiplier 10? Should I raise the voltage? Its at stock now.

Is it locked?

lentic said:
Well I was talking about Barton's but sure.....

yeah i know, just making a point... 100F is kinda hard without water, i got mine down to about 96 with air, but thats with stock volts. if i were to bump it up to take it to 2.4 it would NOT run under 100F. also, i have a pretty decent air cooled set up

my freind is at 3200 on stock volts... and my mobile runs under stock volts at 3200 speeds... when i bump it up to 2.4 or higher though, i needs like 1.875 and thats too high for me... i like a little bit slower and a whole lot cooler of a system though...

Falls Included said:
my freind is at 3200 on stock volts... and my mobile runs under stock volts at 3200 speeds... when i bump it up to 2.4 or higher though, i needs like 1.875 and thats too high for me... i like a little bit slower and a whole lot cooler of a system though...

ditto. when i go up to 2.4 i need 1.75-1.8, and when i go to 2.5, i need 1.9, and it gets so hot that its not prime stable. much rather it be cool, and its still pretty damn speedy at 2.3 ghz.

Back