24kt Gold 17" Macbook Pro

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
Finished this 17" MBP up earlier this week. I received a mess of different sample finishes earlier this week also.. I've been meaning to post them but haven't the time to photograph them all. People keep asking for platinum and white gold (though white isn't very pretty at all) so I'm working on that.

The only thing changed on here is the keyboard. I took out the Apple and replaced it with my two C's. I also finished the japanese hiragana/kana keyboard for another 17"...that was a pain.

mbp171.jpg

mbp172.jpg

mbp173.jpg

As usual beautiful work Qtip. That Japanese keyboard sounds amazing and must look the same.

So beautiful but so deadly! I was finishing up a 15" today and either when I applied protective film to the display housing (w/ diamonds in it) or when I installed the battery, something put enough pressure on the screen to crack it. That ruined my night.

*sigh*

They keyboard is painted but the rest is electroplate. Vacuum metalizing the keyboard would be too costly and not produce the desired finish or wear resistance.

There were a couple of people in my last thread wanting to see a few samples so I'll just put them here. I received quite a few new samples and a few different golds as well.

Platinum (crystallite-a soft dull look) (polished-mirrored finish) (satin-brushed look)
platinum.jpg

24kt Rose gold (satin)
rosegold.jpg

Random stuff this week. I'd keep posting pics of the laptops but they're really all the same....I've got a chrome imac coming up.
classic1.jpg

This turned out alright, white gold this time. May just stick with this look since doing the two piece one took entirely too much work. Going to try my CC logo next.
inlay1.jpg

...Platinum (crystallite-a soft dull look) (polished-mirrored finish) (satin-brushed look)...
that satin brushed is HOT! that look great on my powermac g5. :eek:

where did you manage to score that japanese keyboard? im trying to score a korean version for my macbook, but am having a hard time locating one.

I drew up the keyboard. This came from overseas though. Lots of things coming from overseas.

that satin brushed is HOT! that look great on my powermac g5. :eek:

where did you manage to score that japanese keyboard? im trying to score a korean version for my macbook, but am having a hard time locating one.

There are 4 revisions of the MacBook, with each having a different part number for the keyboards/top cases they use. I don't know what the differences are, but it would be best to order the correct one for your revision. If you don't know, you can PM me and I can probably look it up.

But, just as an example;

White Korean keyboard and top case for Mid 2007 MacBook: KH922-8125

Black Korean keyboard and top case for Mid 2007 MacBook: KH922-8126

Call an Apple service center and ask them if they'll order the part for you. Eventually, you'll find a place that will sell to you. Qtip42 does this same thing.

I hope you kept the protective tape on! :D Ya it turned out pretty good. The more I do, the better they're getting. I've really gotta get some sleep eventually though. These things keep me up till the wee hours of the morning. I've been feeling like a zombie lately.

Yeah, all but one piece of tape stayed on. We took off the small strip that covered the Apple and ogled it a bit. ;)

Again, nice work.

Damn, and I thought a regular macbook pro would get me jacked on the subway!

that is awesome

Damn, and I thought a regular macbook pro would get me jacked on the subway!

that is awesome

Ya I got dirty looks the one time I took one of the gold ones out. It's only funny because I dressed like a bum that day.

The 24" iMac I just ordered should be here (cross my fingers) tomorrow. Then I can take some pics of the chrome housing. Not sure if this will win over everyone but I ordered a few more just to try out different plating for pics.

I finished this a while back but it got delayed so heres a photo...I am still waiting on the cz's for it because the jeweler screwed up big time.

mbp17-21.jpg

what finish is that? hard to tell from the pic.

looks like you've got a new process to explore.

you thought about doing one of those new wireless keyboards to go with?

what finish is that? hard to tell from the pic.

looks like you've got a new process to explore.

you thought about doing one of those new wireless keyboards to go with?

The picture is from a gold japanese mbp. I've tried working with a regular wired keyboard on an iMac, the jury is still out on it though. They glue and weld the aluminum on. I ground it all off and am having it plated but it's still up in the air whether it'll go back on and stick. I really don't like how they made the keyboard in general, I can't imagine wireless is much different.

The picture is from a gold japanese mbp. I've tried working with a regular wired keyboard on an iMac, the jury is still out on it though. They glue and weld the aluminum on. I ground it all off and am having it plated but it's still up in the air whether it'll go back on and stick. I really don't like how they made the keyboard in general, I can't imagine wireless is much different.
what do you mean they glue and weld the aluminum on?

There are 4 revisions of the MacBook, with each having a different part number for the keyboards/top cases they use. I don't know what the differences are, but it would be best to order the correct one for your revision. If you don't know, you can PM me and I can probably look it up.

But, just as an example;

White Korean keyboard and top case for Mid 2007 MacBook: KH922-8125

Black Korean keyboard and top case for Mid 2007 MacBook: KH922-8126

Call an Apple service center and ask them if they'll order the part for you. Eventually, you'll find a place that will sell to you. Qtip42 does this same thing.
heh, i just now saw this post. oops. where are you finding those part numbers? are you looking at a website, or do you have an inside track?

ive got the late 2006 model black macbook with th 2.0 C2D.

heh, i just now saw this post. oops. where are you finding those part numbers? are you looking at a website, or do you have an inside track?

I work at an Apple authorized reseller/service center.

ive got the late 2006 model black macbook with th 2.0 C2D.

Black Korean keyboard and top case for Late 2006 MacBook: KH922-7886

Most Apple authorized service centers will sell it to you if you talk to the right person. Generally service parts are not returnable, even if they're defective. If you can't find a place to order the part, feel free to PM me.

The plating isn't that costly (unless you're doing something like gold or platinum), it's the time it takes to strip the laptop, remove every little bit of the adhesive (which turns to sticky slime in thinner/mek), sand, plate, and finally rebuild it all.

wank, the imac keyboard (standard one) is held together with an adhesive under the keys. Once you get the aluminum + keys off all at once, you still have to drill out tiny spot welds to remove the aluminum. It's a really odd design in general but they probably do it for a reason...(to make my life harder :D)

Nothing really new. This little 15" was a valentines gift that managed to get to kuwait in 2 days flat for a valentines gift to someone.

emir1.jpg

emir2.jpg

Also have a satin 24kt gold iphone. Turned out nicely. A bit on the shiny side (left in the tank a little longer than normal).

iph1.jpg

Wow...very nice work! What is your customer base, by the way? Any famous people?

Hmm...do they get InvisibleShields for their stuff? Must suck buying stuff like that ;)

Haha, yeah. I would not wanmt to be caught with that thing outside - you would have people all over you like fruit flies to apples trying to steal it and annoying you by saying: "How much is it?!" "Where'd you get it?!"

Still, though, that thing is awesome :D

The shields get dirt in them and scratch the hell out of the polished gold. I'm trying to get the new plater to bake clear on them. Gives it a different look though, not quite as "wow"

The shields get dirt in them and scratch the hell out of the polished gold. I'm trying to get the new plater to bake clear on them. Gives it a different look though, not quite as "wow"

Hehe, can't have it all, eh? :)

How about a regular Macbook in gold?

Back