240GB Kingston SSD 130$ AMIR($30)

I also have the 120GB version. One nice thing about this drive is it is only 7mm high so it fits where some other 9.5mm SSD's won't fit.

Any real-world difference between this drive and something like the Samsung 830?

I saw this one uses asynchronous NAND, and the chips are cheaper which may introduce longevity issues down the road.

If someone can put these concerns to rest I may bite on this today. If it makes any difference, I'd be using this for most of my installed programs... Photoshop, games, web browsing, and OS.

We talking about the same drive here?

From Kingston's site:

This innovative drive features a second-generation SATA Rev. 3.0 SandForce Processor for best-in-class sequential read/writes combined with Asynchronous NAND. V+200 offers Data Integrity Protection that features DuraClass™ Technology plus RAISE™ for advanced data reliability.

From Anandtech:

The V+200 is SF-2281 based however it uses Intel's 25nm asynchronous NAND with only 3K p/e cycles.

Any real-world difference between this drive and something like the Samsung 830?

I saw this one uses asynchronous NAND, and the chips are cheaper which may introduce longevity issues down the road.

If someone can put these concerns to rest I may bite on this today. If it makes any difference, I'd be using this for most of my installed programs... Photoshop, games, web browsing, and OS.

Longevity shouldn't be a problem if you're using it in a typical desktop environment. Kingston has rated this specific drive for 153.6 TB of writes. In the real world these drives can actually take much more, at least three times as much. The flash memory used on this drive is rated for 3,000 erases, the same as other NAND that is currently on the market (although they do use premium NAND on higher end drives that can take 5,000 erases, such as on the HyperX, obviously it costs more).

Here is an interesting thread at XtremeSystems about SSD endurance. They punish the hell out of drives to see how long they will last. An Intel SSD 320 with only 40GB of memory lasted for 190 TB before it supposedly "wore out", then they wrote more data onto it until it reached 685 TB, then it died. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

No it does not use asycn NAND. No, there is no perceiveable difference between this and the Samsung 830.
This is a Tier 1 ssd that uses the Sandforce 2281 controller and 24nnm Toshiba MLC Toggle NAND
$0.667 per GB
■550 MB/s read, 520 MB/s write, 33K random read IOPS, 83K random write IOPS
■MTBF - 2 million hours
■Power: 0.5W Active, 1.9W Max Operating, .5W Idle, .3W Slumber

StorageReview.com Review

Tweaktown review

Also, FYI, check the firmware and update it if necessary to get TRIM working properly.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/48...ixed_trim_solid_state_drive_review/index.html

Wrong drive.

*snip* ... good longevity

XacTactX - Very helpful, and that's awesome! Thanks for the help.

Last question - can anyone vouch for the drive's performance (speed)? It seems to me like this would be similar to an Agility 3, which for all practical purposes is fast enough, coming from a standard magnetic HDD.

XacTactX - Very helpful, and that's awesome! Thanks for the help.

Last question - can anyone vouch for the drive's performance (speed)? It seems to me like this would be similar to an Agility 3, which for all practical purposes is fast enough, coming from a standard magnetic HDD.

Well, the 120GB version I installed for my parents, with a brand new install of windows 7, it boots so fast the windows 7 logo doesn't have time to form lol. (The animation where 4 pieces come together). Still, it's not an "upgrade" over the agility 3.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about whether a Sandforce Controller is going to crap out and lose my data than how fast it is. So far so good in my notebook.

Alright, I bit... I know it's not exactly a cutting-edge drive, but really, it's going to be a huge improvement over my spinner. I think my access times are something like 25-30ms according to HD Tune, so I'm excited to see the improvement from the SSD.

I'll try to post my benches once it's all up and running.

Any thoughts on real world performance vs a Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD1?

I have a system I use just for gaming running that M4 and it is down to 5.18gb free. I need to expand the storage on it. I was waiting and hoping for another of the M4 to pop up at a good deal but this one seems too good to pass up if the performance is right.

sale ends 10/8 ETA 10/9 lol... oh well i might have grabbed one for my wife's pc..but meh prices have been plummeting and black friday isn't soooo far off now...

missing this deal isn't probably the end of the world..

Just following up because I'm a man of my word. To help alleviate the necro-thread, here's the latest deal on this drive from dealzon (on tigerdirect). It's $145 after $30 MIR, but free shipping. For $145, my opinion is that there's better deals on drives to be had if you shop [H]ard enough. However, I couldn't be happier with my decision to move from a mechanical drive to an SSD.

Here's my quick benches with HD Tune:

Kingston SSDnow V+200 (240GB)
kingstonssdnowv200240gb.jpg

My old Seagate 500GB mechanical drive
seagate500gb.jpg

All in all, the real-world speed is plenty fast; I think just the drop in disk access times is what makes the difference. I can go from OFF to GAME in under 2 minutes - would have taken 10 mins at least on my old hard drive. Installing things is a joy. It's nice to be able to actually do things when I want and have the computer respond. Having the OS and programs on the SSD makes a world of difference.

If you can find this drive for a good deal (or any SSD with asynchronous memory), and you're cost-conscious, this is a good drive. Look harder or spend $10 more and you might get lucky and find a synchronous drive for the same price, which would obviously be better. Though, in my experience, I'm happy with the real-world performance of this drive.

Back