24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

"Small" bezel crack which almost runs along the whole corner. Appears to be fully functional. Okay starting price as the FW900 goes these days, I guess. Hopefully it doesn't get busted if it gets shipped :confused:.
Up to 1550 as of this moment. Too much for a used unit IMHO. I was willing to pay original retail for a NIB unit but for an old unit? I'm sorry but 1k is my max.

I was looking for an HDMI to VGA adapter that can reach 400mhz of pixel clock and i came across the "Sunix DPU3000" which was apparently discontinued, i kept looking on the site of that brand and i came across this: https://www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=1&kid=2&gid=15&pid=1817

what is that? My goal is to use interlaced resolutions in modern games, i read that Intel Arc gpus support interlaced scan through HDMI , so then i was looking for a good HDMI to VGA adapter, but does that VGA pci thing use the igpu on the pc or what is it?

Up to 1550 as of this moment. Too much for a used unit IMHO. I was willing to pay original retail for a NIB unit but for an old unit? I'm sorry but 1k is my max.
Ended up at over $2k.

I was looking for an HDMI to VGA adapter that can reach 400mhz of pixel clock and i came across the "Sunix DPU3000" which was apparently discontinued, i kept looking on the site of that brand and i came across this: https://www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=1&kid=2&gid=15&pid=1817

what is that? My goal is to use interlaced resolutions in modern games, i read that Intel Arc gpus support interlaced scan through HDMI , so then i was looking for a good HDMI to VGA adapter, but does that VGA pci thing use the igpu on the pc or what is it?
It appears to output video and that's about it.

It's an ultra low end but very power effective graphic card. Interesting in some corporate uses but absolutely pointless otherwise.

So then my question is, does that super low end gpu work for GPU passthrough? could i use it to get interlaced resolutions working on modern games while a main proper gpu did the powerwork on Windows 11???

So then my question is, does that super low end gpu work for GPU passthrough? could i use it to get interlaced resolutions working on modern games while a main proper gpu did the powerwork on Windows 11???
If you did take care to read the product page, you should have noticed it struggles to reach 1920x1080 resolution. The DAC is probably some garbage capping at 200Mhz or the like.

And you can take any random GPU off ebay and throw it in a 1x slot. You just have to cut the back "wall" of the slot so the card can settle in all the way.

Looks like yet more cheap junk. Is there some particular reason you want interlaced output?
2 reasons:
1) I like the look of interlacing, at lower resolutions and refresh rate, it gives like a sort of scanline-ish but different artifact, it really adds to the aesthetic of some games in particular like GTA4 and Resident Evil 7 , or any football game like PES or FIFA.
2) My CRT is only a humble Samsung Syncmaster 997MB , it only has 96kHz , 160hz and 250mhz , in order to push higher refresh rates at higher resolutions i need interlaced (but if anyone is wondering, you can barelly tell its interlaced once you go high enough).

Also, that table where it specifies VGA 640x480 up to WUXGA 1920x1200 are just the certified official specs, not a stress test, you need at least 193mhz for 1920x1200p@60hz, is that really its max?

I was looking for an HDMI to VGA adapter that can reach 400mhz of pixel clock and i came across the "Sunix DPU3000" which was apparently discontinued,
also keep in mind even if you find a second hand Sunix DPU3000, this only works as a DP to VGA adapter, not HDMI to VGA adapter, even when this adapter-splitter has also an HDMI port, it seems for output HDMI signals, not for input HDMI signals, i tested on my DPU3000 to be 100% of this, connected an HDMI cable coming from the graphics card to that DPU3000 HDMI port, CRT cable connected to DPU3000 VGA port and CRT never displayed anything, even with power cable connected to the DPU3000

also i remember trying to set interlaced resolutions here some past post ago on this adpater and never was able to achieve interlaced resolutions, at least on a geforce GTX 1080 TI GPU on windows, in that post was mentioned someone being able to achieve interlaced on this adapter in linux. i am not sure if i did something wrong when trying to setup interlaced on this adapater though, didnt test further since it was more a test than a real interest o fusing interlaced resolutions, but if you wish me to test again under some adviced parameters to see if DPU3000 really works with interlaced, just tell me ;)

also keep in mind even if you find a second hand Sunix DPU3000, this only works as a DP to VGA adapter, not HDMI to VGA adapter, even when this adapter-splitter has also an HDMI port, it seems for output HDMI signals, not for input HDMI signals, i tested on my DPU3000 to be 100% of this, connected an HDMI cable coming from the graphics card to that DPU3000 HDMI port, CRT cable connected to DPU3000 VGA port and CRT never displayed anything, even with power cable connected to the DPU3000

also i remember trying to set interlaced resolutions here some past post ago on this adpater and never was able to achieve interlaced resolutions, at least on a geforce GTX 1080 TI GPU on windows, in that post was mentioned someone being able to achieve interlaced on this adapter in linux. i am not sure if i did something wrong when trying to setup interlaced on this adapater though, didnt test further since it was more a test than a real interest o fusing interlaced resolutions, but if you wish me to test again under some adviced parameters to see if DPU3000 really works with interlaced, just tell me ;)
Thank you for this, yeah interlacing cannot be rendered with DisplayPort at all, the only digital outs that can carry interlaced scan are HDMI and DVI-D if you were trying to interlace with the DP cable you were never gonna be able to do it, and the person who told you he was able to get interlaced to work on DP with Linux must've been very confused, it's physically impossible.

If you can't get any image at all when you use the HDMI to VGA conversion on the DPU3000 then you just wont get interlaced scan to work, but if you do for some reason get a working picture now, your 1080Ti with 2017 drivers should be able to render Interlaced resolutions over HDMI.

Could it be that it was a mismatch of cables? perhaps you were using an HDMI 2.1b while your 1080Ti is only HDMI 2.0 , also the DPU3000 HDMI interlace is 1.4a.

But do you know if there is ANY hdmi-vga adapter that can reach 400mhz of pixel clock? also, do you have an intel Arc gpu?

One poster on this thread said he was creating custom interlaced modelines in Linux and they worked over DP. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I guess there's a remote possibility he was getting scaled progressive resolutions instead and didn't realize.

But I also gotta ask juanme555 how you're so sure that it's impossible for a DP converter to display interlaced in Linux? Is this something you've tried? Are you intimately familiar with the DP protocol?

tested the 1080 TI with DPU3000 in windows 7 64bit, with the oldest drivers i found for this card version 378.78 from 2017, the oldest OS and oldest drivers i found supported for this card, but still no interlaced resolutions with the DPU3000 because of the same "unsupported" warning message. makes me wonder if a way to bypass that warning message interlaced would work with the sunix DPU3000 since that message is displayed as soon as i press the test button, it would not even let the test to progress.

tested with a cheap HDMI to VGA adapter (arround 180 MHZ pixel clock) and interlaced worked even in windows 10 64 bit version 22H2, and 1080 TI with more recent drivers 531.39.

But do you know if there is ANY hdmi-vga adapter that can reach 400mhz of pixel clock? also, do you have an intel Arc gpu?

no, i dont have that intel card and never seen one, and dont know HDMI to VGA adapters at 400mhz, check this post from user Derupter who regulary post info about digital to analog video adapters, maybe you find there something close to what you seek.

One poster on this thread said he was creating custom interlaced modelines in Linux and they worked over DP. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I guess there's a remote possibility he was getting scaled progressive resolutions instead and didn't realize.

But I also gotta ask juanme555 how you're so sure that it's impossible for a DP converter to display interlaced in Linux? Is this something you've tried? Are you intimately familiar with the DP protocol?

I got into CRT's in 2016 but i only started learning how they actually work in 2017, by 2018 i was trying cheap adapters left right and center, i had a GTX 660 at this point in time, i tried at least 5 hdmi to vga adapters and 1 single dp to VGA adapter, i also tried various linux distros, i read online that interlaced scan could allow me to play at higher resolutions and refresh rates on my relatively modest spec'd crt, and i also wanted to play GTA4 and PES2010 on interlaced 1080i since i was a kid, im definitely not as intelligent as the guy who said he got interlaced to work on Linux, but as i obsessed over this i came across some posts on reddit and distro community forums that claimed it would work, and then i remember reading multiple replies saying something about DP interface not being able to carry interlaced at all and that if he did get it to work, it was, as you said, a progressive signal being labeled as interlaced on the ui but when the guy actually checked on his osd status, his refresh rate was still half of what he thought, which means it was fake interlaced.

In fact, the D-sub port on the motherboard from which i used the iGPU on the Athlon 320GE during all of 2020 and 2021, was read as DisplayPort_1 by AMD control panel and i was never allowed to run interlaced custom res there, though that could be because the iGPU didn't support interlaced, but i think it was both, that vga port was fake, it was actually just a port but the signal was displayport, and i also think that since that athlon came after polaris, it probably no longer supported interlaced at hardware level.

These days im very happy with the 980Ti and interlaced over dvi-i to vga, but i would like to upgrade within the next 12 months and i want to make sure i pick the right trade-offs.

tested the 1080 TI with DPU3000 in windows 7 64bit, with the oldest drivers i found for this card version 378.78 from 2017, the oldest OS and oldest drivers i found supported for this card, but still no interlaced resolutions with the DPU3000 because of the same "unsupported" warning message. makes me wonder if a way to bypass that warning message interlaced would work with the sunix DPU3000 since that message is displayed as soon as i press the test button, it would not even let the test to progress.

tested with a cheap HDMI to VGA adapter (arround 180 MHZ pixel clock) and interlaced worked even in windows 10 64 bit version 22H2, and 1080 TI with more recent drivers 531.39.

no, i dont have that intel card and never seen one, and dont know HDMI to VGA adapters at 400mhz, check this post from user Derupter who regulary post info about digital to analog video adapters, maybe you find there something close to what you seek.

Thank you for taking the time, much appreciated, i will thoroughly look into those adapters.

Intel said their dGPUs support interlaced scan, but i haven't seen any real-time evidence of this online.

Reactions: 3dfan
like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364425706400?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

I lost on this one. This auction marked the first time I just could not pay what this crazy market demands. Just plain ridiculous what these units are going for nowadays......
"We only ship using UPS Ground."

I hope the poor thing has a chance with its original packaging and hopefully being double boxed. It's bonkers how much people are allegedly paying. I got Lacie's rebadge of that monitor for free and paid around $10 for a Dell P1110 (which is a rebadged CPD-E500 according to this site).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"We only ship using UPS Ground."

I hope the poor thing has a chance with its original packaging and hopefully being double boxed. It's bonkers how much people are allegedly paying. I got Lacie's rebadge of that monitor for free and paid around $10 for a Dell P1110 (which is a rebadged CPD-E500 according to this site).
What a loss of a great unit should she be damaged in transit. 😞 I'm hoping the bidders back out and she gets relisted at a "buy it now price" . I'd planned to physically drive to Georgia for pick up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364425706400?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

I lost on this one. This auction marked the first time I just could not pay what this crazy market demands. Just plain ridiculous what these units are going for nowadays......
The funny thing is that I ditched four 22" based on diamondtron tubes a few years ago because they all got unfixable blur problems in the corners with aging. I hope for the bidders they are lucky and their unit is fine regarding that aspect, but I wouldn't count on it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The funny thing is that I ditched four 22" based on diamondtron tubes a few years ago because they all got unfixable blur problems in the corners with aging. I hope for the bidders they are lucky and their unit is fine regarding that aspect, but I wouldn't count on it.
How many hours on the tubes?

Interesting. Mine is softer in the corners but nothing outside the norm for a CRT. There are counters in the service menu for the chassis and the tube.

They are focused via electrostatic focusing. So over time they will get blurrier, especially if they've been driven hard. Nothing to reverse or fix this. Fortunately, if you keep them calibrated, you should be fine. Electrostatic focusing was only really a problem with projector units, as those tubes have to be driven hard to make an image bright enough to project onto a screen. Direct view CRT's? Not so much. :)

If I had a ticket back to 2005, I'd scrounge up the money, buy some new FW900s, and not bother looking at other monitors again for years. Knowing OLED would be massively delayed as would FALD, except for a false start. And SED would never arrive at all...

If I had a ticket back to 2005, I'd scrounge up the money, buy some new FW900s, and not bother looking at other monitors again for years. Knowing OLED would be massively delayed as would FALD, except for a false start. And SED would never arrive at all...
And who would have guessed people are now spending near $10k for NIB FW900s.

I see Startech has a relatively new adapter that uses the Synaptics vmm2322, which is in the Sunix DPU3000 and has the ~545mHz pixel clock

https://media.startech.com/cms/pdfs/mdp2dvid2_datasheet.pdf

Only problem is it's only advertised as a Dual Link DVI adapter. But some of the pictures show it has a DVI-I connector. Maybe it's wishful thinking to believe the analog pins might be wired up?

Then, there are other pictures that show it with a DVI-D connector.

If it doesn't support analog VGA in any of its revisions, I'm wondering if it still might be possible to wire up the 5 analog RGB pins to the chip, then flash it to Sunix firmware.

It's a little too expensive to just buy one just to try. I have to tools to do it though

Reactions: 3dfan
like this
I see Startech has a relatively new adapter that uses the Synaptics vmm2322, which is in the Sunix DPU3000 and has the ~545mHz pixel clock

https://media.startech.com/cms/pdfs/mdp2dvid2_datasheet.pdf

Only problem is it's only advertised as a Dual Link DVI adapter. But some of the pictures show it has a DVI-I connector. Maybe it's wishful thinking to believe the analog pins might be wired up?

Then, there are other pictures that show it with a DVI-D connector.

If it doesn't support analog VGA in any of its revisions, I'm wondering if it still might be possible to wire up the 5 analog RGB pins to the chip, then flash it to Sunix firmware.

It's a little too expensive to just buy one just to try. I have to tools to do it though
USB powered. Funny that it never made a difference if I powered up my Delock 87685 (the DPU3000's twin) or not. That seems awefully expensive considering the StarTech DP2VGAHD20 is still sold for $41, and it provides the same performance, in my testing, as the Delock 87685.

You guys are weird. Continue.
I hope you understand that, if high quality BFI ever comes to gaming monitors on large scale, it's going to be partly due to this thread.

I mean, it'll mostly due to blurbusters.com. But partly because of this thread, because we're keeping alive the technology that provides the "reference" for OLEDs and LCDs to aim for with their BFI implementations.

Just received my 3rd Cornerstone P1500 21 inch crt. I love these units at 1600x1200@85hz. With the dot pitch of 0.22mm text is as close as it gets to LCD on a crt. How is it a screen from 1999 can look this good? Vito was right........nothing beats the glass!!!

Attachments

• 20230901_154547.jpg
    20230901_154547.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back