24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

how good is this monitor for watching dvds from the computer?
Is the 1280 by 800 resolution any good for playing games?
Is the image quality way better than a 19 p991 montior?

The best CRT there is. But for movies only, big LCD is better of course. If you have a 19" CRT now, the difference is huge, and DVD's poor quality will be a problem :D
Good, little low though.
I believe it's a trinitron just like this so there may not be much difference, depending on the condition of course. Pretty much depends what you mean by "Image quality".

I always hate watching movies on my 20 inch lcd monitor because the colors suck and there's tons of video noise. I figure if I sit back far enough like 5 feet it shouldnt be too bad. Plus my computer has a good upconverting program.

My p991 has seen better days so I am sure that a 24 incher will beat it.

I dont think my graphics card could handle f.e.a.r above 1280 by 800 lol.

But thanks.

i have a Sony F520, the 21" monitor and i have a problem:

it has terrible ghosting, especially dark objects in white background have many tails behind them

but when i give a gentle tap in the monitor's case (near the power plug) the ghosting is eliminated

does anyone know what can that be?

it has terrible ghosting, especially dark objects in white background have many tails behind them

but when i give a gentle tap in the monitor's case (near the power plug) the ghosting is eliminated

Don't know of an easy fix but you better try something with that kickass monitor (true .22mm dot pitch!) :p. Personally what i would do is bring the monitor out into the open, so you can access the backside while it is plugged in and running. Start by gently wiggling the vga and power connections, hopefully you can narrow it down to either one. If the vga connection is causing the problem then you could try swapping vga cables or connect it through the BNC input. If you feel the power connection is at fault then try another power cable. There is a chance that removing the monitor's plastic cover will be necessary to complete the job. If you do remove the cover, and i do not recommend you do, be sure to proceed with extreme caution. There's enough voltage stored in there to fry a buffalo, and i'm not sure if there's an easy way to safely discharge it beforehand (?) Edit: dumb as it sounds, you could try turning your crt upside down, carefully of course, and see if that helps. There's an inner coil that can bend the wrong way and cause monitor issues. It's a longshot, but least it's another troubleshooting step you could try.

You could also take it to a repair shop and ask them their opinion...and price. If it's a local repairman, see if he'd consider a partial trade or something. Maybe they can give you some hints on how to safely do it yourself?

Watching DVD's on this monitor beats my Dell 24" LCD, hands-down!!!

Mainly due to roughly double the refresh rate of my Dell 24" LCD, and due to about 1/8th of the response time of my Dell 24" LCD, this 24" Sony CRT is the king for games--at least for all fast-paced games (online games and racing games included).

I always hate watching movies on my 20 inch lcd monitor because the colors suck and there's tons of video noise. I figure if I sit back far enough like 5 feet it shouldnt be too bad. Plus my computer has a good upconverting program.

My p991 has seen better days so I am sure that a 24 incher will beat it.

I dont think my graphics card could handle f.e.a.r above 1280 by 800 lol.

But thanks.

All right, 1280x800 for now, but at least you can enjoy high refresh rates and enjoy decent response time for fast-paced games. You can also enjoy Stereo-3d vision with most games out there if you have a Nvidia card. Anagylph glasses (blue left lens and red right lens) can be had for a nickel or shutter 3d glasses can be had for a few bucks on Ebay) will allow you to experience 3d-vision gaming on this monitor, biggest size, best quality possible with those glasses! Then that will greatly motivate you to get and enjoy this Sony 24" CRT and then buy a better graphics card because of how much this monitor has motivated you! LOL! :)

Also, that's not a bad graphics card to be able to do FEAR at 1280x800 -- that's about just as good as a Nvidia 7800 or X1800 card, right? That's what you have, or a 7900 or X1950? Or two 7600's in Sli or two X1650's in crossfire? Or two X800's in X-fire? Two 6800 16-pipelines in SLI, perhaps? Smiley!

For u fw900 owners that have a ps3 or any other hdmi/dvi devices. by the way can the fw900 handle 1080p at 24hz

final.jpg

What are the advantages of using HDfury ?

-HDfury is the world's first device that you can screw directly on your display.
-HDfury will add a Digital Input 100% HDMI/HDCP compatible to any RGB display !
-Pocket Portable HDCP stripper, that you can connect to any VGA input.
-It will transform any analog RGB input into a fully digital compliant HDMI/HDCP input up to 1080p !
-Digitalize your Analog Screen !
-Shortest Analog Link as possible also ensure Highest Video Quality as possible !
-Alu and Gold platted materials,
-It can be used and sold legally to transform any RGB display into a HDCP compliant display.
-It does not require external power supply to operate.
-Unlike other HDCP stripper solutions on the market HDfury is compliant to HDCP rules it does not allow and end-user easy access to analog decrypted signal.

HDfury will be available in 3 editions:
(HDfury Module is the same in any editions only the supplied cable is different, therefor anyone who need the module only can get his hands on any editions)

Cable is ALWAYS optionnal, for example VGA Xtender is supplied in case your display have tiny space and a backpanel, you may need to use the VGA xtender so your back panel can fit back correctly

- BLUE : Standard Edition (RGB/VGA display with SUB-D HD15 FEMALE input)
HDfury & VGA > VGA Xtender (10-15cm) [SUB-D HD15 FEMALE/MALE]

- GREEN : Marquee/NEC Edition (5x BNC FEMALE input display)
HDfury & VGA > 5x BNC Xtender (10-15cm) [SUB-D HD15 FEMALE/5x BNC MALE]

- RED : Barco Edition (DB9p FEMALE input display)
HDfury & VGA > DB9p Xtender (10-15cm) [SUB D HD15 FEMALE/DB9p MALE]

www.hdfury.com

by the way can the fw900 handle 1080p at 24hz
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but fw900 does 1920x1080 (aka 1080p) @ 100Hz
-It will transform any analog RGB input into a fully digital compliant HDMI/HDCP input up to 1080p !
If 1080p is highest it can do I'm not interested. But if it can do any resolution up to 2560x1600, which i doubt since if it was digital it'd need dual-DVI, it would definitely be worth considering for any fw900 user.
-Digitalize your Analog Screen
If PC would see it as a digital display and the actual converting would happen in the small adapter, it may even improve image quality. I wan't to see some reviews first.

If you look at this strictly from HDCP point of view it has a great market. But as we now know, HD content is not limited to HDMI outputs. There are too many potential customers without HDMI so they have pretty much ignored the rule and made this little device obsolete.

The PS3 does not force HDCP unless it's a blue ray movie. So technically you could get HDMI to DVI adapter and run it straight to the crt, then use the coaxial line if you have a creative sound card.

Is FW900 still leading best for gaming as higher fps and fast response than any flat screen? FW900 is old but may still be best monitor?

FPS is dependant on your video card and refresh rate.

CRT is still the king of response rate, some lcd have ghosting.

Best monitor, that's a tough one, there are older alternative, word on the street is that the 21 inch version of this screen is a little sharper, has better colors. There are some people that love the Mitsubishi screen too, it all depends on the person.

Looks like you were right! I swapped out the VGA cable and so far everything looks crystal clear and beautiful like it should. Thanks load, novemberrain!

Where did you get the cable from and what do you recommend? looks like when I got mine the cable's quality was not up to par with the screen, sometimes it can be hard finding the right cable since the web is bloated with crapware.

Best monitor, that's a tough one, there are older alternative, word on the street is that the 21 inch version of this screen is a little sharper, has better colors. There are some people that love the Mitsubishi screen too, it all depends on the person.
[\QUOTE]

I have the Sony 500PS and the NEC 2141 (Mitsubishi), the FW900 looks better than either of them ever did. The only monitor I have that comes close is my Iiyama VisonMaster Pro510, and it is not that close.

Any luck?

On mine, with a similar problem, the monitor's BNC connector was bad...

Where did you get the cable from and what do you recommend? looks like when I got mine the cable's quality was not up to par with the screen, sometimes it can be hard finding the right cable since the web is bloated with crapware.

Have had both the 21" and 24" inch GDM units. Constant and tighter dot pitch on the 21" for sharper text, but the 24" still has a gorgeous picture and is very noticeably bigger. Basically, I kept the 21" because I bought it new (old stock) and after several years I was ready for a change...

24" is naturally better for widescreen gaming and for HDTV, if you want to be able to sit back from the screen a bit...(and text is still plenty sharp enough, especially at the 1600 by 1024 resolution I used...)

It seems, with the newer Nvidia drivers >100.64 only 60 Hz are available when a widescreen resolution is chosen, like 1920x1200.

This only happens in Vista, in XP - 85 Hz widescreen resolutions are no problem.

Can someone confirm this issue?

I tried everything, bit found no fix so far.

My Sony GDM FW900 is pretty much useless in Vista now!

It seems, with the newer Nvidia drivers >100.64 only 60 Hz are available when a widescreen resolution is chosen, like 1920x1200.

This only happens in Vista, in XP - 85 Hz widescreen resolutions are no problem.

Can someone confirm this issue?

I tried everything, bit found no fix so far.

My Sony GDM FW900 is pretty much useless in Vista now!

You can always lower it to 1600x1200 until it's fixed 1920x1200 is rather small icons and letters for desktop rez.

I have been using my FW900 for about 2 weeks now and it is absolutely amazing. 1680x1050 @100hz is perfect for my 8800GTS in most games, I had no idea how much my 8ms LCD actually lagged until I got the sony. My only complaint is how much brighter it is when I first turn it on, I have to actively control brightness to maintain black levels until its fully warmed up. I had forgotten what a pain in the ass CRT resolutions and refresh rates were, if doesn't help that RefreshForce list like 15 different monitors and I don't know which one actually controls them so I change them all lol. BTW, anyone know how to force refresh rates in OpenGL (I dabble in 1.6 once in a while)? Also, I'm still using my LCD for text stuff like firefox, so while I'm not gaming the FW900 is mostly unused but I'm still actively using the pc and preventing the screen saver from engaging. I'm a little worried about burn-in on this sweet monitor, is there any type of manual screen saver that I can just enable on the FW900 while I use the LCD?

for u xbox360 and fw900 owners. a fix to fix overscan/underscan issues (timing problem i guess) with the xbox360 at 1080p via vga. got it from avs forums.

"How do you get the alternative 1080p timings, guys?"

"When it prompts you "Does this look correct?" or whatever, say "No, try again" instead of "Yes"... normally that reverts to the previous resolution but for 1080p it tries the alternative timings. If you say no again, then it reverts to the original setting (whatever it was)."

I have been using my FW900 for about 2 weeks now and it is absolutely amazing. 1680x1050 @100hz is perfect for my 8800GTS in most games, I had no idea how much my 8ms LCD actually lagged until I got the sony. My only complaint is how much brighter it is when I first turn it on, I have to actively control brightness to maintain black levels until its fully warmed up. I had forgotten what a pain in the ass CRT resolutions and refresh rates were, if doesn't help that RefreshForce list like 15 different monitors and I don't know which one actually controls them so I change them all lol. BTW, anyone know how to force refresh rates in OpenGL (I dabble in 1.6 once in a while)? Also, I'm still using my LCD for text stuff like firefox, so while I'm not gaming the FW900 is mostly unused but I'm still actively using the pc and preventing the screen saver from engaging. I'm a little worried about burn-in on this sweet monitor, is there any type of manual screen saver that I can just enable on the FW900 while I use the LCD?

Long Live CRT's its a shame they are getting phased out for the most part :( I still love my NEC2141SB-BK (Uses the MITSU Tube) I purchased like 5 years ago, it was fun to crank a game like C&C3 up to 2048x1536 (it's not WS) and run it at 85 htz. So if this one is better than my old screen then it's no joke. Yea you don't know what your missing untill you go back to a CRT. Colors are typicaly alot better too.

That said I just bought a 37" from costco, lower resolution n all so I have a feeling I might end up returning it and going back to my ancient CRT. Then againn the huge size might just make up for it. Not sure what the "king" will be.

I bought a HD CRT for my Television as well, 2 years ago. Not only were LCD's way overpriced but this CRT had the best picture out of everything I looked at. And you could view it from all angles. As for screen saver, I would just turn the thing off. CRT's typicaly don't last as long as LCD's.

Count me into this monitor club.

I just scored one for the best price : nothing. :D

Works beautifully, just gotta run that image restoration. Seems a wee bit dull on the colors next to my 19" IBM thats my second monitor now, but damn, does the size make up for it big-time.

I <3 being part of a computer refurbing non-profit who gets stuff from the colleges.

EDIT - Wow, I ran the image restoration, and my god, the colors are beautiful, accurate, and amazing.

Monitor probably needed it too after sitting in the storage for so long. We picked up a ton of Acer desktops from the local community college and they said if we wanted any of the monitors to grab em, and I grabbed this big sucka. Too bad there wasnt a second one. Maybe next time. :D

Hm so tonight im watching a movie on my FW900 with the lights out in my room and noticed the black level was pretty bad, I turned the brightness down until a good black level was achieved but I had to take the brightness setting down to 10, out of curiousity I decided to run Image Restoration, I first cranked up the brightness to 40 (for some reason this is suppose to help improve black levels during image restore, another mystery) and then ran it. This did the trick, I now have the brightness set at 27 and black is a deep black like its suppose to be, I know this symptom & temp fix isnt new I just find it interesting (and annoying) that no one ever found a definite answer or reason to this common problem with various sony crt models. Lowering the G2 level is also another 'fix' but its only a band-aid to the real problem.

But then again this monitor is nearly 6 years old and still looks great, I guess having to run Image Restore every once in a while isnt a big deal.

I love my FW900... I bought it about two years ago and it had just been recalibrated. I remember almost having a heart attack bringing it from my car in the parking lot, to my apartment. The thing weighs a 'ton'. I had to reinforce my desk to comfortably fit it. Picture quality is second to none and though I've considered selling it for a flat screen...everytime I fire up GTR2 or rFactor, I wind up changing my mind.

Hm so tonight im watching a movie on my FW900 with the lights out in my room and noticed the black level was pretty bad, I turned the brightness down until a good black level was achieved but I had to take the brightness setting down to 10, out of curiousity I decided to run Image Restoration, I first cranked up the brightness to 40 (for some reason this is suppose to help improve black levels during image restore, another mystery) and then ran it. This did the trick, I now have the brightness set at 27 and black is a deep black like its suppose to be, I know this symptom & temp fix isnt new I just find it interesting (and annoying) that no one ever found a definite answer or reason to this common problem with various sony crt models. Lowering the G2 level is also another 'fix' but its only a band-aid to the real problem.

But then again this monitor is nearly 6 years old and still looks great, I guess having to run Image Restore every once in a while isnt a big deal.

if you can get your hands on a hardware color calibrator and calibrate your monitor, the results are pretty amazing:D

Does anybody know someone that has the FW900 that are not function and would like to sell just the bezel? I need it to be in a good condtion, because mine broke on the lower left corner. Right now I'm trying to fix it up and it doesn't look very good. Thanks.

BTW, anyone know how to force refresh rates in OpenGL (I dabble in 1.6 once in a while)?

Try to set in steam -> counter-strike -> launch options "-100hz", or whatever you want to use. You should probably also have it set @ 100hz with the same resolution you're playing with in the nvidia control panel. This way it's much smoother. ;)

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy one of these monitors from a warehouse for $200 plus 8.25% sales tax (TX). It shows that they have 18 currently in stock and I am able to go there with a laptop and run test patterns over VGA.

My question is first, is this a good deal? I have messed around with CRTs before and I am not really in the mood for calibrating much. I am somewhat of a perfectionist and I have messed up electronics before by going too far. I am not going to buy any calibrating hardware or the 4-pin cable that lets you dynamic convergence tweak and whatnot using WinDAS; just the NEC test patterns. What are all the patterns I should run to find the best out of the bunch and what specifically should I look for?

Thanks!

That is a very good deal, I paid 300 for mine and it was worth every penny. If I was in your situation I might even get 2 lol.

I paid 4 bones for mine way back when Mathesar started this thread I was pretty nervous dealing with e-bay, and the shipping since it is so damn heavy..can't count how many boxes I've gotten from brown that looked like they fell off the truck onto the freeway en rout. It is worth every penny spent. Every time I drift though bust buy thinking I want an LCD I'm reminded how good I have it now with the GFW900.

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy one of these monitors from a warehouse for $200 plus 8.25% sales tax (TX). It shows that they have 18 currently in stock and I am able to go there with a laptop and run test patterns over VGA.

My question is first, is this a good deal? I have messed around with CRTs before and I am not really in the mood for calibrating much. I am somewhat of a perfectionist and I have messed up electronics before by going too far. I am not going to buy any calibrating hardware or the 4-pin cable that lets you dynamic convergence tweak and whatnot using WinDAS; just the NEC test patterns. What are all the patterns I should run to find the best out of the bunch and what specifically should I look for?

Thanks!
it is a VERY good deal considering brand new, these monitors went for $2100US
Its a CAD monitor, one of the best CRT's ever made. Unless it's used and abused, it should work quite well.
like i said in another post, if you CAN get your hands on a colormeter, it'll be that much sweeter.

Sorry for the late response - I don't check this thread much.

Turns out that my color change/flickering problem appears to have been caused by my external ATI Crossfire cable. The cable is resistant to bending, yet must be bent fairly tightly in order to mate with the second video card. The cable's resistance to bending seemed to be causing misalignment in the sockets of the video cards - all traces of the flickering/mis-coloring vanished when I flexed the cable with my hand (which forced the cable ends and card outputs to meet each other more head-on). After observing this, I placed a thick rubber band around the 180 bend in the crossfire cable to overcome the cable's resistance to bending, and since then I have had zero problems and everything looks pristine.

If my description is confusing, I can add a picture.

Also, for the benefit of everyone here, I'd be interested in finding out if there are any good quality, inexpensive color calibrators on the market. I found the Spyder2Express (S2E100) for $67, but I'm not sure what kind of quality that will buy.

I'd imagine that just about any calibration hardware will give better results than me (not an expert) messing around with various settings and 'eyeballing' it, but it'd be great to get some recommendations added to the first post or something.

You can get a Spyder2Express from Amazon for <$60 right now. I ordered one for my LCDs. Just came in today. I no longer have an fw900, but it made a big difference on my laptop screen.

Well I guess what I meant to say was that I am pretty burned out on calibrating at the moment. I've probably spent more time tweaking CRTs than I have using them :eek:

Especially that arduous dynamic convergence process, which I have done before. I finally ended up getting a larger LCD as the main set. Perfect convergence/geometry and all but of course it leaves something to be desired. I will probably run the Geometry/Convergence crosshatch and the Focus patterns. What should I set some of this particular monitor's settings to before I view the test patterns to aid me in selecting a set?

You can get a Spyder2Express from Amazon for <$60 right now. I ordered one for my LCDs. Just came in today. I no longer have an fw900, but it made a big difference on my laptop screen.

Can I ask how these things function? Do you just install a program, plug them into USB and let them do their thing - or do you have to manually change settings on the monitor per instructions?

If this was mentioned somewhere in the last 154 pages, I couldn't find it. I don't have the time to read post by post either. So, if I'm asking this question for the 1000th time, sorry.

I just picked up a fw900 locally for $290. She had a mess load of them in her basement, and she let me hook a few up to find the one I liked. So I sat down there with my laptop for at least 45 minutes till I settled on the nicest one I saw. In reality, there were probably a handful of them that would have been good enough. Anyways, once I get home (of course) I notice not only a single black dot that looks an aweful lot like a burnt out pixel (thats what it "looks" like) but there are two blacked out scan lines, one right in the middle, and the other about 2 inches from the top. So I called her up and she tells me thats how the monitor is constructed, they're all like that. She even referred me to this thread. She's still going to take the monitor back, but I'm not convinced that my monitor is supposed to have those two hideous looking black lines splitting up my screen.

Can someone confirm, or maybe send me to a sight where I could read more about this? If I run the image restoration properly (just read about that), will that hide these lines in some way? And about that "dead pixel" (I know, it's not a pixel :p ), what could cause that? Two different pcs and a laptop all confirm it. Thanks

Yup absolutely normal for flat monitors based on trinitron technology. you will get used to them , I still see them but they don't annoy me anymore. Keep the unit if everything else is good with it.That "dead pixel" might be a scratch in coating of the monitor , check that.

On another note did we loose the last couple of posts here when the forum went down? I posted energy consumption figures that I measured for this monitor but my post seems to have disappeared.

Back