24" CRT Opinions?

Tov

Limp Gawd
http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=786

I'm sure it has been posted before but at 24" Grade A it seems like a great deal. Not only is it scalable without any degrade in image quality, but it also runs insane resolutions at great refresh rates. It's only downfall I could see would be it's weight. Of course it's not thin and sexy like a 2405fpw, but the cost is much less and image quality better. :p

I say go for it, probably a better screen overall. I have a 2005FPW but before I owned a G520. They are both great monitors, and I love my LCD, but I havent been to impressed with the headaches of owning one. Dead pixels, backlight issues..scanlines.. multiple returns. And even when you do get a flawless one that works perfect, you still get -alot- of tearing in games, and Vsync without triple buffering sucks. LCD's arnt all they are cracked up to be.

Regards,
Mike

What about flat CRT's ?
Is any progress being made to shrink (regular big ol CRT's... ) down?
I'd love to find a thin monitor that displays without any of the issue's of LCD's..
I also hate it that I have to spend a fortune on an LCD if I want to have a decent
experience gaming.. All the good gaming lcds are > 250..

Here's a good question, is it possible to get a crt hooked up to an external source other than a pc? Maybe a tv tuner card is needed?

Anyone have any experience with this vendor? My senses tell me when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Tov said:
Here's a good question, is it possible to get a crt hooked up to an external source other than a pc? Maybe a tv tuner card is needed?
they have external tuner cards that make possible to use monitor as tv.

Craftish said:
Anyone have any experience with this vendor? My senses tell me when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
no, i don't think so. crts monitors are dying, most are sold very cheap now.

There seems to be a lot of FW900's being sold nowadays, i plan to pick one up myself sometime. But if i were you i'd get one from a reputable seller on ebay instead, theres tons of auctions for that monitor right now. You'll end up paying way less, i saw one for $200 +$100 shipping and another for $375 with free shipping. You can also buy them in bulk, 4 or 8 at a time lol. I can just imagine the shipping cost for that, yikes..

I don't know how much I'd trust eBay on an item such as this. At least Azatek has a warranty. These people are charging $150 in shipping. You could get one for $300 but end up paying $450 in the end anyways.

You can find warranties on ebay too. Most of the time the sellers also run businesses like azatek.

Bleh I checked ebay out and there are not deal on this monitor at the time. The cheapest buy it now is at $200 bucks and it is vauge on it's warranty policy. Warranty void if cases are opened? Mean if I open the box to take the monitor out the warranty is void :rolleyes:

I guess I could buy the 200+100 shipping one. Ugh too bad tomorrow is labour day and the thought of sales has me tantalized.

...looks awesome. But - on my desk at work, there's a decent 21" tube and a cheap-o 17" LCD right next to it. I was all set to buy a big CRT for home, but the long and short of it is that the cheap ass panel kicks ass on the expensive CRT for image quality, and the colors aren't even close.

I hear what's been said about dead pixels, etc. but after working with the two side by side for a couple of months....my next home monitor will be a big LCD of some type.

FWIW - B.B.S.

I just installed some quake3 on the families computer to test out the ol'syncmaster 173v and while I didn't see any real ghosting I could deffintely feel a difference between that and this really crappy 15"crt I'm using. The CRT is just a whole lot more smooth. Maybe this says something about me and LCDs.

Wow, I personally never seen a widescreen CRT monitor before. Looks good. :D

Although it costed my a hefty chunk of cash. I think I got the last semi-high-end NEC CRT monitor from Newegg, as they took it off the list right after I bought it. 22", 20" viewable, resolution up to 1920x1440 @ 72 Hz.

Man, this monitor is awesome. I'm glad the my old monitor died on me at the time, or otherwise it would have been in someone else's hands. It's going to be a long time for LCD, or any display technology to catch up with CRTs. Plasma is getting pretty close, but I heard the chance of burn-in is a lot greater than that of CRTs.

Well I commited to buying one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-SONY-24-CRT-...ryZ99235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems the only difference between this one and his 300 dollar one is the fact that this one is a rebaged HP and the other is straight from sony. It's warranted against DOA, which should provide ample protection. I did a credit transaction with my debit card on paypal so I'm hoping I do not get razzed.

Maybe I'll pick up a few 21" monitors for backup sometime too. :p

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
u know the link to the monitor, is in lawrence 10 min from my home, maybe i get one

man that thing is a thing of beauty..

24in CRT...

i would get one if it wasnt for the fact i have no space for one on my desk

do they make any crt's that have like component connectors so you can connect an xbox 360 or ps3. that would be sweet with that resolution

Nope. You'd have to get a convertor. Good ones run around 100 bucks :mad:

Only thing that worries me about that monitor is its .27 dot pitch in the corners and .23 in the center..so it wont be evenly focused all around.

Tov said:
Warranty void if cases are opened? Mean if I open the box to take the monitor out the warranty is void :rolleyes:.

Pretty sure that just means not to take the monitors "casing" off to attempt a repair or something.

Anyway glad to see you ordered one, post back with some pics when you get it plz. :)

i heard mitsubishi diamond or diamondtron make really good monitors. u guys know anything bout em?

Tov said:
Nope. You'd have to get a convertor. Good ones run around 100 bucks :mad:

Ouch, that's a lot for a converter. Is Revolution gonna be the same? I know for sure that they'll allow monitor connectivity, but if it's going to be around the same price then I'll pass...

Damn I couldnt resist , I bought the actual Sony FW900 model for $100 more... Ill post comments when it arrives, I just hope theres no major issues with the image quality (Geometry / dark spots etc.) .Im pretty picky about that stuff :(

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
good luck with it matesar. hoping to hear ur post soon since they selling location is near my house. Play it to the max. Good luck moving it 92lbs makes it a heavy load, better get a 2nd man or a fork lift lol

ellover009 said:
u guys know anything bout the mitsubishi diamondtron's ?
Several of our CAD guys have 'em. The horizontal lines, as all Trinitron tubes have, drives some of 'em nuts....hard to impossible to see unless you have a drawing with an all white background, or lots of horizontal lines. Even still, most guys really like 'em.

B.B.S.

I been thinking of this last several days now guys! Damn you people! You can see others are too as they've decided to have little spin off threads. I'd be doing a direct compare with my 2405FPW and probably only keep one. Decisions decisions. I'll probably take it slow, lemme know what you think of it. Anyone else thinking of replacing the FPW with this?

i have one of those... bought it new like 5 years ago... great monitor and i haven't regretted it since. But now i want a bigger screen and LCD is the only opetion that's good as a pc monitor... so I'm getting a 32" lcd... i'll keep my crt as backup... but there comes a time when the 22.5" viewable just seems... small.

Hmm.... 24" with some blur, or 22.5 with two annoying lines. :confused:

I really want the perfect display but I fear it does not exist.

Back