20th edition Pentium G3258 Hard to find

cyrusfox

Limp Gawd
I am buying this chip for my brothers birthday, already got a cheap Z97 board for it but I am having a hard time knowing when it is actually going to be released and come to my door.

Amazon was originally showing it available on 6/20 while newegg was showing 6/25. As the days approached Amazon changed the day available to 6/24, and after 6/24 arrived amazon changed the shipped time from 1 to 3 months. Newegg also shifted the available date to 7/1. I see Microcenter is selling it for a good $15 cheaper but won't be available till 6/30(at least in denver, the closest to me). I pre-ordered from newegg on 6/20 due to amazon shifting its date then thinking newegg would be the best bet to get in line. I would gladly cancel if I could get shipping confirmation somewhere else but no one seems to have these chips yet. Has Intel not communicated the approved release date yet? I was hoping for a good launch for this chip(reviews on every website with massive availability at the same time the reviews go live). This seems more of a paper launch, haphazard reviews here and there but with no availability. Not the normal Intel release for such a cool little chip(even though it is a budget overclocker from Intel, it has been a long time...)

Has anyone here received shipping confirmation for this chip or been able to find it out in retail.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up canceling my pre-order today from newegg. Fry's has them available for shipping or pick up(at stores that have them), I am going to have my brother pick one up tomorrow on his way to the airport. I noticed amazon market place sellers are hocking them for an extra $15. saw a couple reviews of people getting 4.5GHz out of the chip without too much coxing.

Good luck to others frustrated and still looking. If a microcenter was close by, I would probably buy there for the superior price.

I ended up canceling my pre-order today from newegg. Fry's has them available for shipping or pick up(at stores that have them), I am going to have my brother pick one up tomorrow on his way to the airport. I noticed amazon market place sellers are hocking them for an extra $15. saw a couple reviews of people getting 4.5GHz out of the chip without too much coxing.

Good luck to others frustrated and still looking. If a microcenter was close by, I would probably buy there for the superior price.

And availability is surprisingly solid as well - so far, Rockville and Fairfax (the two closest to me) have been out of stock a grand total of a few hours (Rockville - all of TWO hours). 4.4 - 4.5 GHz has been the typical OC - and on air, no less (Hyper212+ or EVO), with 4.3 on the STOCK HSF showing up more often than not. I haven't seen overclockability like that since Sandy Bridge.

Back