2015 LG 4k OLED tvs

Pastuch

Gawd
Are any of you guys looking at the 2015 coverage for LGs new 4k OLED tvs?

I saw last years LG 55 inch OLED in person and the picture quality was so stellar that I cringe at the thought of continuing to use LCDs. With 4k res, 0.0001ms pixel response, flat screens, light AG coat and low-ish input lag (32ms), I think this could be the year for me to start using a massive OLED TV as a computer monitor. I assume the Chroma 4:4:4 issues will get sorted out this year but that's a tougher nut to crack.

Flat 4k OLED:
EF9500 series is very similar to LG's primary new line of curved 4K OLED TVs, the EG9800 series. Both have a new anti-reflective screen coating that supposedly improves upon the (excellent) finish found on the EC9300's screen.

Does anyone know if the 2014 LG 55EC9300 can do Chroma 4:4;4 at 1080P?

The HDR color thing isn't that big of a deal to me but which of the new LG oleds support the larger color space?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/01/lg-makes-huge-4k-push-with-seven-new-oled-tvs-at-ces-2015/

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-65ef9500/

They'll all have amazing color, all models are 4k.

The only major differences I think, is flat vs curve, style, and sizes.

The interesting thing is what price they will have and if they will have 4:4:4 chroma.
If the 55" models drops to $3.000 (or below) one day, they might be interesting.

The current models are said to have less than stellar motion processing and fairly high input lag in terms of gaming. That kept me away from the 2014 1080p model.

Also the price was ~10k for the 4k version in 2014.

Input latency has always been an issue with LG televisions and sadly I doubt this will change with their 2015 OLED line. Would be good to be proven wrong though.

On top of input lag you also need to consider burn in and OLED lifespan, although by now it may no longer be as big of an issue as it used to be.

The 65" Curved 4K 2014 OLED had a input lag of around 40ms according to some on AVSForum (and that's up-scaled not a true 4K signal). That's not too terrible. Although it apparently cannot do 4:4:4 at 60Hz so I won't buy it.

Will be interesting to see if they get that sorted out in 2015 models. I've read LG is spooling up their new OLED plant and should make OLED prices drop considerably in 2015/16. LG is putting a lot of eggs in one basket and since they are really the only OLED player, they could either win big or loose big.

(I'm really surprised manufactures besides Panasonic just don't toss a DP 1.2 input on there, really how much can that cost?).

So, why no one else aside from LG making oled tvs yet? I'd like panasonic and sony enter the oled market.

So, why no one else aside from LG making oled tvs yet? I'd like panasonic and sony enter the oled market.

They actually did try and even formed a partnership but it seems things didn't really go so well and they've decided to scrap the idea. Kinda sucks that only LG has had any luck with OLED as of now.

The interesting thing is what price they will have and if they will have 4:4:4 chroma.
If the 55" models drops to $3.000 (or below) one day, they might be interesting.

The current 55" LG Oled is selling at bestbuy for $3000 so I expect the prices to be even lower next year.

The 65" Curved 4K 2014 OLED had a input lag of around 40ms according to some on AVSForum (and that's up-scaled not a true 4K signal). That's not too terrible. Although it apparently cannot do 4:4:4 at 60Hz so I won't buy it.

Will be interesting to see if they get that sorted out in 2015 models. I've read LG is spooling up their new OLED plant and should make OLED prices drop considerably in 2015/16. LG is putting a lot of eggs in one basket and since they are really the only OLED player, they could either win big or loose big.

(I'm really surprised manufactures besides Panasonic just don't toss a DP 1.2 input on there, really how much can that cost?).

Considering the audience they are aiming OLED TV's at they will be successful. In fact they could be greatly so. OLED's have such incredibly distinct advantages for things like movies (unlimited contrast virtually , fast pixel response time) and top that off with the fact they will be really the only OLED manufacturer to push this hard into the lower price bracket it'll work.

When people actually go and see OLED's in person compared to even a full array local dimming LED they will be immediately struck by how impressive the picture is on the OLED. All LG has to do is get a handle on the motion judder issues of the 2014 models and increase the anti-burn in capability of their OLED line and they'll be golden.

OLED is a great way to push 4K out as well. With 4K Blu Ray coming in November of this year its finally looking like 4K will make its real push. Broadcasters however will have a very hard time pushing out 4K resolution broadcasts without significant upgrades to their infrastructure so that will take years to finally saturate the market. The 4K push will be a much slower one than 1080p.

Right now 4:4:4 Chroma at 60Hz is an issue that is only a problem for PC users honestly. 99 percent of the market they are targeting don't even know what 4:4:4 Chroma means. Considering they are aggressively pricing their OLED tech you can understand why they don't want to increase the cost by adding another and seldom used by the general public input.

Once you show someone a 55 inch OLED TV and then walk them over and tell them to pick it up and they see it only weights 16 lbs they will be even more awestruck by how "futuristic" it is. LG is actually doing us a favor pushing into the lower price bracket like this because Samsung and Panasonic will be forced to respond with similar priced units and eventually well marketed and economic brands like Vizio will have to follow suit. So the general public gets its new toy via LG and we all get the much better enthusiast level panels from Samsung/Panasonic.

It looks like OLED is finally going to enter the mainstream and thank god for that.

I'll be interested in OLED once prices are reasonable, and if they can do 4:4:4 at 60Hz, of course.

Personally I'm not too fond of this curved screen fad, I prefer the traditional flat screen instead.

OLED is a great way to push 4K out as well. With 4K Blu Ray coming in November of this year its finally looking like 4K will make its real push. Broadcasters however will have a very hard time pushing out 4K resolution broadcasts without significant upgrades to their infrastructure so that will take years to finally saturate the market. The 4K push will be a much slower one than 1080p.

There was an interview with a high-level exec at one of our TV channels here in Sweden. Sweden is typically at the forefront in technology. We were very early on broadband, the first on LTE etc. He basically said that not even 1080p is going to become ubiquitous until by the end of the decade. Most of the HD stuff is still 720p. He couldn't answer when 4K would come. I personally think it's going to come a lot faster, but it will be done via the internet. We have uncapped internet here in Sweden and a lot of people will be able to just stream stuff to their TV. The lowest speeds I can even buy is 10 mbit/s and getting a 50 mbit/s connection costs about 25 dollars if it's in a remote location. You get 100 mbit/s in a larger city(100k+) for that price, often lower.

Netflix is showing the way here. I think the catalyst here will be Android TV. It's becoming mainstream in a major way.
Youtube is filled with 4K stuff and people wanna watch it on TVs that can handle it.
I'm not sure if broadcasters matter that much anymore in driving adoption.

It looks like OLED is finally going to enter the mainstream and thank god for that.

LG reports their yield rate for OLED is now 80%.(Too lazy to google for footnote but it's there if you want to look it up). I wouldn't get an OLED TV for a computer. Too big and too much input lag. But OLED, which has been a perennial dream for so many years is rapidly advancing and I wouldn't be surprised to see OLED displays for computers in CES 2016 or CES 2017 at the latest.

LG OLED TV @ CES (Swedish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4oif4SZOWk#t=27

He said that the 55" models is expected to have a price of 38.000 SEK in Sweden which is ca $4800.
He also said that LG will not make any new models of 1080p OLED TVs, but will still sell 1080p TVs for some more time.
LG said that the problem which last year models had with banding and black crush are mostly solved on the upcoming models.
LG also said that OLED TVs will be cheaper to produce then LCD TVs because less components is needed, but that will happen first after a few years when OLED production reaches the same level as LCD (when production becomes larger).

Last edited:
There was an interview with a high-level exec at one of our TV channels here in Sweden. Sweden is typically at the forefront in technology. We were very early on broadband, the first on LTE etc. He basically said that not even 1080p is going to become ubiquitous until by the end of the decade. Most of the HD stuff is still 720p. He couldn't answer when 4K would come. I personally think it's going to come a lot faster, but it will be done via the internet. We have uncapped internet here in Sweden and a lot of people will be able to just stream stuff to their TV. The lowest speeds I can even buy is 10 mbit/s and getting a 50 mbit/s connection costs about 25 dollars if it's in a remote location. You get 100 mbit/s in a larger city(100k+) for that price, often lower.

hmmm, i pay for 1Gb per second just 12 euros :p

Personally I'm not too fond of this curved screen fad, I prefer the traditional flat screen instead.

The irony is that for monitors big and wide curved is very natural and better than flat. TV fad is transforming into the must feature for future monitors :cool:

not really hyped about anything that LG produces. im more interested in the Panasonic OLED 4k Panels as Pana has much better reputation in reliability and picture quality.

also note that 4k bluray is not supporting 4:4:4 chroma. so unless you are using the panel as a pc monitor its has little benefits

I've been reading a ton of stuff on the AVS OLED forum. The simple answer to your question is that only LG owns the patent on WOLED that they bought from Kodak in 2009. WOLED is the only financially viable form of OLED at this time so LG has a pretty sizable advantage.

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-says-white-oled-gives-it-ten-years-on-tv-competition/

LG has said they are willing to sell OLED panels to their competitors but the margins probably aren't as lucrative as LCD.

LG OLED TV @ CES (Swedish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4oif4SZOWk#t=27

He said that the 55" models is expected to have a price of 38.000 SEK in Sweden which is ca $4800.
He also said that LG will not make any new models of 1080p OLED TVs, but will still sell 1080p TVs for some more time.
LG said that the problem which last year models had with banding and black crush are mostly solved on the upcoming models.
LG also said that OLED TVs will be cheaper to produce then LCD TVs because less components is needed, but that will happen first after a few years when OLED production reaches the same level as LCD (when production becomes larger).

Let's hope that is the price for the curved and the flat version will be cheaper. I hope the flat 55" 4K will come in at $4K or less, will buy it if so.

55" 4K Curved OLED for $4800? I'll buy that in a heartbeat as my computer display.

I just hope it has 4:4:4 chroma, the input lag isn't terrible at native 4K in a PC mode and decent anti-burn in tech.

55" 4K Curved OLED for $4800? I'll buy that in a heartbeat as my computer display.

I just hope it has 4:4:4 chroma, the input lag isn't terrible at native 4K in a PC mode and decent anti-burn in tech.

I think he meant that the flat version will cost that much but he didn't say wether that includes 25% vat or not, in USA it should be cheaper anyway.

55" 4K Curved OLED for $4800? I'll buy that in a heartbeat as my computer display. I just hope it has 4:4:4 chroma, the input lag isn't terrible at native 4K in a PC mode and decent anti-burn in tech.

Price should not be big problem as LG has production capacity of about 1 mln OLED TVs and must sell them to get established at high-end replacing LCD. One can thus expect price declines to whatever level needed to sell those OLEDs. For me a bigger problem is that 55" is too huge as a regular monitor and there are no prospect on 40"+ OLED this year.

CNet takes a look at a concept TV from LG (at least 1-2 years away from release). . . OLED with an HDR function that boosts light output so that whites become even brighter while the blacks stay at their inky 0% beauty.

http://www.cnet.com/videos/lgs-oled-hdr-the-next-generation-of-the-best-tv-ever/

Man, I hope OLED sticks around and becomes affordable. I bought a 55" plasma two years ago for $2000. Will only be able to convince the wife to go OLED when it dies or a 65" model is below that point.

Just push the 55" further back on your desk. ;)
Unfortunately it is not the same. Monitor viewing is related to psychological personal space
(think about distance which people keep at conversation, it is not trespassing on personal space). Thus watching huge monitor from bigger distance does not feel as comfortable.

Unfortunately it is not the same. Monitor viewing is related to psychological personal space
(think about distance which people keep at conversation, it is not trespassing on personal space). Thus watching huge monitor from bigger distance does not feel as comfortable.

While I understand where you are coming from with personal space with relation to interacting with other human beings, I don't see how that applies to a computer monitor.

By your logic you must really hate movie theaters? :D

Just push the 55" further back on your desk. ;)

Maybe it would work...

ODfnb3n.jpg

While the size may look crazy in the photos and on my relatively small desk, if you had a larger desk, the 55” display would actually work pretty well.

http://techau.com.au/using-a-uhdtv-as-your-monitor/

I actually used a 42 inch 1080P Westinghouse as a monitor for a couple years. My head was about 5 to 6 feet away from the screen and I really liked it. The problem becomes the difficulty of using multiple monitors at vastly different viewing distances. It feels awkward but isn't too difficult to adjust to. It just takes time.

Sweden and a lot of people will be able to just stream stuff to their TV. The lowest speeds I can even buy is 10 mbit/s and getting a 50 mbit/s connection costs about 25 dollars if it's in a remote location. You get 100 mbit/s in a larger city(100k+) for that price, often lower.
Yeah Sweden used to have one of the highest and cheapest 100 Mbps.
But times change.
Now in Romania you can get 1 Gbps for 12 EUR from 3 providers in the same place.
Gigabit is so ubiquitous I wanna go for dual WAN at home for 2 Gbps.

Yeah Sweden used to have one of the highest and cheapest 100 Mbps.
But times change.
Now in Romania you can get 1 Gbps for 12 EUR from 3 providers in the same place.
Gigabit is so ubiquitous I wanna go for dual WAN at home for 2 Gbps.

Eastern Europe is doing amazing in terms of internet. But can you get 100 mbit easily in smaller towns of 20-30k in romania? In our capital, you can get gigabit internet for 14 euro and in the largest cities too, but that's not what most people get. Anyway, that's an off-topic conversation.

I got a general question to throw out, to piggy-back on the WOLED link that Pastuch so helpfully posted.
If the Kodak-created WOLED is so superior, how come the OLED quality in Samsung phones has become so much better? We're seeing AMOLED in their tablets, too. I know little of OLED, so these question may be "obvious" to the more knowledgable out there. What prevents them from scaling their OLED from 10" to 24", for instance? And isn't their OLED technology rapidly improving? Just a few years ago, Apple's LCD tech was seen as far better. Now the S5's and the Note 4's screens are seen as class-leading. Ditto their Tab S line.

More pricing information here... http://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1420661256

55” flat EF9500 - 37.999 SEK, 30.000 DKK (about $4800 USD)
65” flat EF9500 - 64.999 SEK, 51.500 DKK (about $8200 USD)
55” curved EG9600 - 39.999 SEK, 31.675 DKK (about $5000 USD)
65” curved EG9600 - 69.999 SEK, 55.500 DKK (about $8900 USD)
77” flexible OLED - 399.999 SEK, 317.000 DKK (about $50000 USD)

But if the prices include VAT, then you can take 25% off the price which for the 55" would come out to 28500 SEK. That would be $3500 then for the flat 55"

More pricing information here... http://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1420661256

55” flat EF9500 - 37.999 SEK, 30.000 DKK (about $4800 USD)
65” flat EF9500 - 64.999 SEK, 51.500 DKK (about $8200 USD)
55” curved EG9600 - 39.999 SEK, 31.675 DKK (about $5000 USD)
65” curved EG9600 - 69.999 SEK, 55.500 DKK (about $8900 USD)
77” flexible OLED - 399.999 SEK, 317.000 DKK (about $50000 USD)

But if the prices include VAT, then you can take 25% off the price which for the 55" would come out to 28500 SEK. That would be $3500 then for the flat 55"

Still too high. Needs to drop another $1000 at least. Concerning the 55 inch EF9500.

LG has made a massive investment in OLED, and started years before everyone else - you could say they've bet the farm on OLED. Their M2 plant is what will make all the new models they've made possible - but they have doubled the number of sales in 2016 forecast compared to 2015 - i.e. they will still be ramping production into 2016.

Why not everyone else? Most of the large display manufacturers have sold their production plants for LCD and are probably gunshy because of the massive capital equipment costs involved. They are probably hoping to just buy the panels from someone else (reports from CES 2015 speculated that Panasonic's OLED model is actually a LG panel). I believe there are a few companies besides LG ramping production, but that's probably going to be a 2016 thing.

I think LG's bet can pay off BIG. OLED is far superior display tech to anything else out there. LG could literally corner the market if they can keep production up and costs down.

Early pricing indicates that the new LG 55" flat OLED model might be ~$3500 at introduction. If we're lucky, that might dip significantly in early 2016. Not quite 'cheap' but approaching affordable. The largest model is still looking like a >$25,000 TV though.

Our couch is too far back for our current 55" Panasonic plasma to give the cinematic experience I'd prefer. So I'd prefer 65". But man, that $4500 premium to go to 65" ($8999) is crazy.

But, I saw the LG 65" curved 4K OLED at Best Buy yesterday. Oh. . . my. . . it was back in the darkened "Magnolia" (?) room and was playing a demo reel of the fountains outside the Belagio (in Vegas) at night. The absolutely inky, pure blacks of the sky contrasting with the brightly lit building. I've never seen a TV look so good. And that was in a showroom where settings aren't always adjusted optimally.

Must have. Can't afford. If could afford, young kids would destroy anyways.

i own a 64" F8500 plasma since 2013 and will keep it until i can grab a 64" OLED 4k with HDMI 2.0 for under 2.5k

plus OLED needs to mature at least another 2-4 years for me to get excited

how about samsung OLED for under 3k at 64" I cringe when i hear LG

Back